so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Fear of heights. It’s controllable and the lowest on the phobia list.
As a young kid I nearly fell out of a high tree in our backyard.

#2 wasps/bees or any flying stinging insect.
have been stung twice on the head as a kid. Once was a paper matcha wasp.

#1 on the list and most difficult to explain.
Deep Water.
A pool of 8 feet or more doesn’t bug me but it use to.
Being on a lake in a small boat would be terrifying.
As you might expect, never been deep sea fishing. o_O

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Cockroaches
Don't ask why, I don't know. Even dead ones freak me out.
Once, I was moving to a new room(me and my siblings were switching rooms so I can get a bird room) and I was moving my books from my old bookshelf to my new one. Guess what? There was a cockroach, hiding behind some books. It ran over MY HAND, and I screamed and cried in absolute fear. I retreated, and screamed in tears each time the dang thing moved. That's how scared I am of cockroaches.

Thunder/lighting
Flashing lights and loud noises freak me out, especially if they're unexpected. Probably my SPD to blame. I've had people tell me, "Don't be scared, imagine it's God's voice speaking to you" uhhh still doesn't help.

Being touched
For personal reasons, I freak out when something/someone touches me.

Heights
I am scared of heights. Being in a plane is fine, but being in a tall building makes me scared. I hate walking on bridges.

Crowded areas

If there is more than 20 people in a small area right next to me, I will start crying, I kid you not. It happened a few months ago.

So yeah,that's all I can think of.

Edit: needles too. The ones for medical procedures. I can't use them without having an emla patch. That's how scared I am. Most medical procedures make me scared.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hmm not much freaks me out.

I agree with you Pipp: I HATE cockaroaches! A few years ago I woke to a painful scratching on my leg and to my horror it was a sizable roach! I jumped out of my bed and ran!
Their legs kinda hurt.
Wasps kinda scare me but bees I really enjoy and would like to have a few bee hives one day.

My 'weird' pets scare people often lol. Their just sweet little ball pythons!!! Don't you just love their little snoots!!! Lol sorry 🤣

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
I
Hmm not much freaks me out.

I agree with you Pipp: I HATE cockaroaches! A few years ago I woke to a painful scratching on my leg and to my horror it was a sizable roach! I jumped out of my bed and ran!
Their legs kinda hurt.
Wasps kinda scare me but bees I really enjoy and would like to have a few bee hives one day.

My 'weird' pets scare people often lol. Their just sweet little ball pythons!!! Don't you just love their little snoots!!! Lol sorry 🤣
I wanted a pet snake but my mom's always like "Nope" "Nu" "Too scary".
I went for a parrot instead

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Ummmm…
Crowds.
Sharp objects. Needles, knives, scissors, etc.
(I use knives on a pretty regular basis but they still terrify me)

And STAPLERS!!

Birb321

Sep 14, 2022
BC, Canada
Parrots
I might rescue a conure or another small parrot
this is a weird on but i am scared of balloons because i am just scared of them popping. i am also scared of loud noises, any sort of bugs, and any sort of horror movie show or game

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
this is a weird on but i am scared of balloons because i am just scared of them popping. i am also scared of loud noises, any sort of bugs, and any sort or scary any thing. ( scary shows, movie, games ect )
That explains why you had a hesitant answer back at This or That

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Roadkill.

Any regular roadtrippers know this about me. When a roadkill is spotted by my vigilant enablers, one or all yell some variant of "Don't look!", at which point I close my eyes. When the offending spectacle has been passed, they say "Okay". Eyes open; all good.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Roadkill.

Any regular roadtrippers know this about me. When a roadkill is spotted by my vigilant enablers, one or all yell some variant of "Don't look!", at which point I close my eyes. When the offending spectacle has been passed, they say "Okay". Eyes open; all good.
Roadkill don't freak me out exactly but it makes me sad. Especially when it turns out to be something big, like how could you not see that?!?
But if it's especially something on my road, I at least remove it from the road and give it the proper respect and bury it.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
Ummmm…
Crowds.
Sharp objects. Needles, knives, scissors, etc.
(I use knives on a pretty regular basis but they still terrify me)

And STAPLERS!!
Definitely hate needles, everytime I get stabbed with one, especially an IV, first instinct is to hide in my panic closet with my pet mouse and start thinking about all the mice that undergo painful science experiments every year.
I get freaked out by knives sometimes, especially when I'm near my mother and she's struggling to use a knife to get something open.
I hate crowds too, especially after I was harassed online and had my personal information leaked over a parrot related issue. And that caused a heart attack.
Staplers don't freak me out too much except for when they're open

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Here we go again, basically all of my "big fears"
  • Someone else holding a knife near me
  • Going to somewhere new "as a suprise" (I think people are going to hurt me or dump me somewhere then leave)
  • Being confronted suddenly/people asking if I'm OK
  • People seeing me stimming (I know there's nothing wrong with being neurodivergent, but people just don't understand why I'm doing it)
  • Being touched by someone who is not my mom dad or sister without premission
  • Being told I need to smile more/"can't" smile (connects to "confrontation anxiety")
  • Water deeper than 4ft where I can't see the bottom/dark water with a "deep end"/being in ANY deep water alone/putting my ears underwater
  • Bad textures (winter coat lining, seams, some foods etc.) and bad sounds (clapping loudly, etc.)
  • Someone hurting/taking away the birds
That being said, I am learning how to "ground" myself and stay in the present a bit more when I get stressed or overwhelmed. Of course, having noise cancelling heaphones helps, as does a book and a large hoodie to hide in.

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Here we go again, basically all of my "big fears"
  • Someone else holding a knife near me
  • Going to somewhere new "as a suprise" (I think people are going to hurt me or dump me somewhere then leave)
  • Being confronted suddenly/people asking if I'm OK
  • People seeing me stimming (I know there's nothing wrong with being neurodivergent, but people just don't understand why I'm doing it)
  • Being touched by someone who is not my mom dad or sister without premission
  • Being told I need to smile more/"can't" smile (connects to "confrontation anxiety")
  • Water deeper than 4ft where I can't see the bottom/dark water with a "deep end"/being in ANY deep water alone/putting my ears underwater
  • Bad textures (winter coat lining, seams, some foods etc.) and bad sounds (clapping loudly, etc.)
  • Someone hurting/taking away the birds
That being said, I am learning how to "ground" myself and stay in the present a bit more when I get stressed or overwhelmed. Of course, having noise cancelling heaphones helps, as does a book and a large hoodie to hide in.
I can relate so much to the touching thing and the stimming thing. I absolutely freak out when anyone touches me. When I realize they aren't going to do anything to me, I calm down.

I hate being caught stimming in public. People stare at me when it happens.

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I hate being caught stimming in public. People stare at me when it happens.
Yeah, and it's not fun to have started a school masking (hiding your neurodivergence, for those who don't know), then realize how hard it is to keep masking as the year goes on, but not stopping because you don't want to be judged. It's draining... but coming home to birds is amazing.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Another "mindless" fun post here. It's been pretty serious around here lately...

Be honest. Does anything REALLY just flip you out? Spiders? Mice? Clowns??

I'd definitely have to say that for me, it's larvae. Not meal worms, but white soft bodied ones... Baby flies. Maggots blown up large on a page of a book, or on computer which is light enough to flip in the air would be on the ground in a split second as I freak out like a maniac, throw the book or laptop off of me and run screaming and gagging at the sight of maggots (even in a picture). They have got to be the worst :eek: and the worst part of it is I wouldn't even be putting on an act. It's an honest knee-jerk reaction. A phobia!
You could imagine my horror some years ago when I bartended, and the last person who worked before me forgot to dump the sugar (for sugaring the edge of fufu drink glasses) out of the container. The next morning I opened the container and ran full speed through the establishment. I don't even think a sound was able to escape my mouth. I'm just glad I didn't 'throw' the container :52: My boss wasn't the least bit sympathetic to my "phobia", and made me clean it. My heart was racing a mile a minute as I flinched as I tried desperately not to touch the container while I killed a thousand tiny fruit fly maggots under scalding running water.

I have one more. Not to be gross, so I'll say it as eloquently AS POSSIBLE... But I also can get a full blown panic attack if I see someone *ehem* getting sick :26: Although I've passed on having kids of my own, it is different if it is a loved one. I can handle it then. I only freak if it's a stranger in public :eek:

Now that you know how strange I am... How about YOU??
Anoles. Those weird fast lizards scare the bajeebus outta me. Same with little russian dwarf hamsters- theyre cute but there isnt enough money in the world that u could pay me to touch one.

im also like insanely scared of throwing up for some reason? i think theres a word for that one

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Anoles. Those weird fast lizards scare the bajeebus outta me. Same with little russian dwarf hamsters- theyre cute but there isnt enough money in the world that u could pay me to touch one.

im also like insanely scared of throwing up for some reason? i think theres a word for that one
Oh god and dont let me forget: roaches/waterbugs. at my parents house it was a once in a blue moon that id see one but they were ALWAYS for some ungodly reason IN MY SHOWER!!!!!!!! Id literally scream my head off and run outside proposing we just burn the whole building down

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
  • touching spiders, opiliones, cobwebs and spiderwebs
  • touching crane flies
  • All stinging insects flying straight to me
  • Unknown insects in my home
  • being outside during thunderstorms (who knows maybe I'd be unlucky enough to get a thunder, lol)
  • somebody asking me about my hobbies when there are many people
  • leaning against glass on high (I'm not afraid of high but I'd never walked on a glass floor)
Right now I don't remind more but maybe there's something else

Last edited:

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
A lot actually! My biggest fears are: avocados, spiders, maggots, flies, any forms of fungus or mold (these freak me out and fascinate me at the same time), the thought that one day I could be reincarnated as grass or a tick, and deep water.

Those are my very irrational fears and I have actually logical fears as well, like my ex leaking my address (he found it from just me mentioning what town I lived in when we were together) because he’s absolutely psychotic, Rico flying away, and dying by slipping on toilet paper or some absolutely goofy way.

Most Reactions

Latest posts