What Species is my parrot and what is wroung with him

ClearCrystal

Sep 25, 2016
Hi there,
I got a parrot from one of my friends. Hi says its a 6 month old indian ringneck parrot who is loosing feathers. so i want to know is it really indian ringneck or any other species and what is wrong with its feather. i am really worried about it.
2m2ucep.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
To be honest, the head looks like an IRN, but I'm not positive since I am unfamiliar with young ones. Has this baby been to see an Avian vet? What is his diet?
He does look really rough, I would strongly recommend getting him in to see an avian vet to have him checked out.

OP
C

ClearCrystal

Sep 25, 2016
he was given only sunflower seeds before but now i am giving him every thing which i am also giving to my african grey that includes fruits and vegetables. could it be because of molting?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Bless his heart, I think his feather issues are mainly from his previous diet.He definitely looks like an IRN in that pic to me.
Thank goodness you got him so young so you can hopefully undo the damage all the sunflower seeds caused. Sounds like your grey is on a great diet:) Is your new baby eating the veggies?
I would still take him in to have him checked out, just to make sure.

OP
C

ClearCrystal

Sep 25, 2016
I just bring him home few hours ago and yess he is tasting vegies. I think so hi loved them. I will try to take him to vet this weekend.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
That's awesome that he is already interested in veggies! I bet he will be looking much different after a good moult:)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, poor little thing.
And thank you for rescuing him! What a deeply needy impression I get from his eyes.
Welcome! You're saving a wonderful little life!

GracelynNBirds

Nov 24, 2015
Texas
Parrots
Pearl, Female, Cockatiel: Penelope
Bless his heart, I think his feather issues are mainly from his previous diet.He definitely looks like an IRN in that pic to me.
Thank goodness you got him so young so you can hopefully undo the damage all the sunflower seeds caused. Sounds like your grey is on a great diet:) Is your new baby eating the veggies?
I would still take him in to have him checked out, just to make sure.

Really? From what it looks like a yellow nape amazon to me, ahah! :p But now that I look at it he does look like a IRN!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IRN for sure, look at the beak. Thanks for taking this little one in. Just look at those eyes.

OP
C

ClearCrystal

Sep 25, 2016
As of today the bird is highly active. Even he is hopping onto the african grey cage and eat his food within his cage and teasing AG. there are some curly feathers emerging from the body as well.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
oh my goodness! this is so sad...i'm thankful you've taken this young one in. to be sure it's diet related, i'd recommend you take him to the vet just to be sure he's not sick with anything that your grey could possibly catch.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I would definitely keep them separated and bring your beautiful new bird to an avian vet. A good diet and molt will hopefully do wonders for his appearance and health!

TheSpoiledReckless

Apr 7, 2016
New England
Parrots
Bonnie-rescued orange-winged Amazon
Darwin-my baby girl, pineapple green cheek conure, also a rescue. RIP Darwin, dearly missed
Kiwi and Damon, the devilish lovebird twins
Charlie-Umbrella Cockatoo,
I agree with everything everyone else has said. Vet, very soon. Quarantine immediately. No contact with your african grey at all, don't let them share food or water either. Personally I think the bird looks sick, if it really is six months old then something else is going on. A month or two on a seed diet would not cause most of his feathers and all of his tail to fall out, something else is going on.

Most Reactions

Latest posts