what's happening to Phoenix?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If he has liver issues, be careful with the anti fungal- some of them are hard on the liver in humans and I am not sure how topical creams are absorbed but I would check with the vet via phone and maybe share those pictures before giving him anything that might stress him out..my other fear is that he could ingest some and then that really would be more stress on the liver.

When my bird had liver issues, they told me to give her a milk thistle and lactUlose (not lactose)--lactulose is intended to prevent seizures due to excess ammonia in the system in a bird with liver issues. It was premixed, so I found creative ways to get her to eat it...I don't know what is going on with your little guy, but I'm sorry because I know how freakishly stressed I get when Noodles has had health issues.

I would also be cautious about the vitamins, even more so if he has a liver issue. If the yellow is jaundice (due to excess bilirubin) then his liver is already struggling and the less it has to process, the better. Another thing- make sure you don't give too much fat or protein to him if he has liver problems. I knew about fat, but protein surprised me...You can give some, but too much protein can apparently stress a bird's liver if I recall correctly

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I do have to say, this is vet visit worthy . I really think needs a vet.

We are happy to help.support. but if this was my bird it would go to the veterinarian

OP
Metoe

Metoe

Dec 29, 2020
Media
Sudbury, Ontario Canada
Parrots
phoenix- green cheek conure
vet visit is booked.. but we're in lockdown up here... again.. and the best they could do was fit me in Jan 8 so until then, these are my options...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree with Noodles about vitamins in a burd with liver issues. Plus I don't believe in vitamins at all because you can overdose abd cause the liver issues to start with

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
vet visit is booked.. but we're in lockdown up here... again.. and the best they could do was fit me in Jan 8 so until then, these are my options...

Did you ask about getting you in on emergency? A lot of times, they save slots for emergency and you pay like $40 extra for using them. Not trying to frustrate you- just wanted to make sure you asked, because you often have to SAY, it is an emergency in order for them to offer. Mine told me they had nothing even though I was clearly concerned and finally I was like, is there nothing..I mean, what if she is still not eating etc, and they were like, "Oh, well there is the emergency option" LOL wtf

Last edited:
OP
Metoe

Metoe

Dec 29, 2020
Media
Sudbury, Ontario Canada
Parrots
phoenix- green cheek conure
so he's responding to the anti-fungal cream. I've been in touch with an online vet, and he gave me some advice for creams and antiseptics I could find at the local pharmacy.

I am in no way his favourite person right now.. he doesn't enjoy getting the stuff put on, and it looks to be tender under the yellow scabby area, but the good news is it appears the yellow scabs are coming off.

metoe-albums-feather-problem-picture22948-jan-1-2021-day-2.jpeg
metoe-albums-feather-problem-picture22956-jan-1-2021-day-2.jpeg
metoe-albums-feather-problem-picture22957-jan-1-2021.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts