What's something you've seen your bird do that you can't get over?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Grass parakeets and cockatiels from Australia are the only ones I know of that don't use their feet.
Will be interested to hear others
Love birds do, but not as often

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Grass parakeets and cockatiels from Australia are the only ones I know of that don't use their feet.
Budgies also don't use their feet to hold things!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgies also don't use their feet to hold things!
Hi Stormy, they grouped in the grass seed parakeet family. At least that's how I've thought of them?
Maybe that's an old term? I'm not the best at nomenclature.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi Stormy, they grouped in the grass seed parakeet family. At least that's how I've thought of them?
Budgies are grass parakeets.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
from what I remember red winged parrots and plum headed parakeets don't use their legs - or at least in my observation

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
no, budgies have never been as grass parrots. It's a name for parakeets of genus Neophema. Also, it is used as a synonym of the red rumped parrots, but more common meaning is Neophema genus

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
nope. they are different types of parrots
I think the question comes down to, are grass parakeets the Neophema genus only or does the name grass parakeet include other small long tailed mainly grass-seed eating parakeets?

I recall in the 90s reading a discussion of Australian grass eating parakeets and finches which seemed to lump the small mainly grass eating keets from arid regions together as grass parakeets. But it looks to me like current usage of β€œgrass parakeet” is indeed for Neophema genus alone.

(Added this whole previous poster was also composing their post.)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I think the question comes down to, are grass parakeets the Neophema genus only or does the name grass parakeet include other small long tailed mainly grass-seed eating parakeets?

I recall in the 90s reading a discussion of Australian grass eating parakeets and finches which seemed to lump the small mainly grass eating keets from arid regions together as grass parakeets. But it looks to me like current usage of β€œgrass parakeet” is indeed for Neophema genus alone.
the term "grass parrots" is usually used only for Neophema - however you can buy a book about them and there's also Psephotus genus included (I mean the old classification, because the book is so old - in the current classification there are 4 genera included: Neophema, Neopsephotus, Psephotus and um... Psephella? I don't remind how it was called, but nevermind)
But budgies? I've never seen them as grass parrots - they are just budgies

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

(Added this whole previous poster was also composing their post.)
Worldbirds.com, all things nature.org and the spruce pets both have great explanations of different types of parakeets (under β€œgrass parakeet classification β€œ) and what is meant by β€˜grass parakeet.’ New world encyclopedia states
β€œMelopsittacus undulatus
is also known as budgieand warbling grass-parakeet, and perquito comun in Spanish, among other common names.”
but I think this is an archaic use of the term β€œgrass parakeet β€œ.
(Wasnt meaning to disrespect you, Rosalia, I just wanted to understand where my error came from and how the classification worked.)

Last edited:

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
With the archaic names it may be possible - I know "official" and common English names, but I don't really know about the archaic ones, which weren't based on the classification. I've heard about strange names such as "swift lorikeet" for the swift parrot despite they aren't lorikeets. Probably such mistakes made in the common names come from similar behavior/look etc. Swift parrots aren't lorikeets but they have similar diet. The same with budgies - they aren't grass parrots, but they have the same diet.

Now everything is clear, maybe let's come back to the thread main subject
Zenek scratching his head using his feather :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
no, budgies have never been as grass parrots. It's a name for parakeets of genus Neophema. Also, it is used as a synonym of the red rumped parrots, but more common meaning is Neophema genus
Yeah, they aren't in neophema. But budgies have been called grass parakeets
I see, did you edit Wikipedia? As grass parrotkeets was one of the common names used were listed as last time I looked .
I agree it can be confusing , and can be an older term.
They are a grass seed eating parakeets
" Other, less common names for the bird include canary parakeet, warbling canary parrot, grass parakeet, warbling grass parakeet (John Gould’s preferred name for them), "

I know this is a topic close to your heart Rozalka! :) but names change over time , and common names can be different.
I've read several articles, thst call them that because of habit and behavior.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
With the archaic names it may be possible - I know "official" and common English names, but I don't really know about the archaic ones, which weren't based on the classification. I've heard about strange names such as "swift lorikeet" for the swift parrot despite they aren't lorikeets. Probably such mistakes made in the common names come from similar behavior/look etc. Swift parrots aren't lorikeets but they have similar diet. The same with budgies - they aren't grass parrots, but they have the same diet.

Now everything is clear, maybe let's come back to the thread main subject
Zenek scratching his head using his feather :)
Ha, archaic, lol not so old as that my freind.

Really grass parakeet is general term not a species term like Neophema.

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
from what I remember red winged parrots and plum headed parakeets don't use their legs - or at least in my observation
I'm not familiar with these, thanks I will have to learn about them.
Edit: Google search shows several images of plum headed parakeets holding food in foot
Edit : afraid the red wing does use foot to hold food as well

I do wonder if there are other species???
Its very interesting about feet use. I thought their would be a good article on this topic but I never found one!!

Last edited:

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I see, did you edit Wikipedia?
Nope, it wasn't me. But I remember there had been used much more names in the past. Probably there were no references to them so somebody deleted them (if we talk about Budgerigar article)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
ROZALKA, are all Neophema from Australia?
Maybe this non use of foot to hold food in parrot is only some species found in Australia? ( ok we are getting off topic, but its fascinating)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
ROZALKA, are all Neophema from Australia?
Maybe this non use of foot to hold food in parrot is only some species found in Australia?
yep, all.
Maybe my memory is wrong, but I'm pretty sure that plum headed parakeet don't use its legs neither... or at least it was just one bird which I was keeping on my arm giving food - I don't remind he was using his foot. And this species comes from Asia.
But so far most species not using their food comes from Australia and are small or medium

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Nope, it wasn't me. But I remember there had been used much more names in the past. Probably there were no references to them so somebody deleted them (if we talk about Budgerigar article)
(Wasn’t meaning to disrespect you, Rosalia, I just wanted to understand where my error came from and how the classification worked.).

Most Reactions