what's your birds fav foraging toy?

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Anything he can rip to pieces! LOL! Especially cardboard things.

He loves small boxes stuffed with paper and a treat or toy.
A stack of corrugated cardboard squares strung onto a string (stuff a sunflower seed here and there into the corrugations).
Rolled up cardboard pieces, tied with sisal, stuffed with whatever and tied to the cage bars.
He also likes to forage in his toy bowls.
Oh, and icecream cones stuffed with a toy, veg, whatever, strung onto a string, hung in the cage.
And a new thing I've found - the bottom bits of small cabages or pak choi. Thread a string through the thick centre stalk and stuff food and/or treats here and there between the white cabage/pakchoi bottom "leaves. Hang in cage and watch the destruction :)

Also check out this site for lots of ideas Foraging for Parrots

And this one http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:...kQFjAF&usg=AFQjCNGC0R26H3ayOBE9h_S_9jrlglyXtw

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi is not much of a chewer/shredder, so those types of toys go mostly untouched. He prefers foraging toys where he can see the treat but really has to think to get it. His favorite one is the purple pyramid with different shaped holes :D We've had it as long as we've had him, and he never seems to loose interest in it. We rotate his foraging toys in and out about every 2 or 3 days. He has a hollowed-out giant "tropical" nut one in his cage currently, but these are the rest of his "collection"-

DSC_3301_zpsb15e0584.jpg

Anne

Mar 1, 2014
The Netherlands
Parrots
Otto - Senegal Parrot born in 2006
Weekamp - Senegal Parrot born in 2007
Joris - Congo African Grey born in 2008
Suzy - Blue fronted Amazon born in 2009 or in 2006
Kwiebuz - Caique born in 2013
The wheels of Fortune is an absolute winner in popularity here! Also the treasurebox is very popular with one of my Senegals.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Percy, I love all your ideas and that they are mostly homemade! I think that you can create something more interesting than what toy manufactures can do.
Kiwi, you have three of my favorite store bought toys. Rings of fortune ( which by the way I bought 4 of recently, they are on sale for 10.00 each at my petsmart), the treasure chest, and the stainless steel cage. I have not seen tge others in your picture before.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Yeah, I can't get the cool toys that Kiwi has because they don't sell them here where I live so I have to make my own.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
My U2 has the treasure chest but after he took all the pieces out a couple of times he lost interest. He likes paper lunch bags, with toys or tree nuts inside, twisted into the cage bars and he never tires of shredding paper. I can't wait to try some of the cardboard toys and the ice cream cones.

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
The paper bag idea is a really good one. The thrill in finding a treat in something they destroy is awesome.

I bought some small wiffle balls and boiled them in water for a couple seconds. When they became pliable I pushed in nuts and then filled with shredded paper. I gave them to a friend of mine and her macaws loved them!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yeah, I can't get the cool toys that Kiwi has because they don't sell them here where I live so I have to make my own.

That may be true, but you also save a lot of money making your own. Kiwi's only interested in "thinking" and foot toys, with an especial fondness for acrylic which unfortunately, isn't cheap. We worked very hard to train him not to chew stuff outside his cage to prevent him from damaging woodwork and whatnot in apartments. It was unintentional, but he learned not to chew ANYTHING as a result. About the most "destructive" activity he does now is untie knots. When we first got him, he would happily shred up a cracker box or newspaper. Now he "demands" $30 acrylic toys and gives me the "stink eye" when I substitute 25cent baby toys from the Goodwill instead:09:

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
I bought some small wiffle balls and boiled them in water for a couple seconds. When they became pliable I pushed in nuts and then filled with shredded paper. I gave them to a friend of mine and her macaws loved them!

Oooh, Getwozzy gave me that idea a while ago but I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! Once the ball cools, do the holes go back to normal? And if so, how do the macaws get the treats out? Do they destrou the ball? I'm going to try this RIGHT NOW! :D

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Percy, the holes will go back to almost normal, provided you act quickly. If you let it cool to much while your working on it, it will cool stretched out.
To get the nuts out they will destroy the ball and believe me, they will love doing it!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
IMG-20140306-00990_zps7a509df6.jpg

I did it. He wasn't very keen to start and dropped the ball after a few minutes. I put the ball in his toy basket and then he went after it with a vengance! :)

Forgive his messay appearance - he's had a shower ;)

OP
M

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
He looks happy with his new toy:-D let me know how long it takes to get the nut.
He looks great by the way. Handsome boy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts