When are you really ready for a new bird?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
when our dog Sanford died, I went berserk buying animals, just trying to fill that void.
3 dogs later, 4 cats, 40+ birds, I still miss him like crazy.
Nothing can ever replace an animal, they are unique in their own way.
You will know in your heart when you are ready, then it will be worth it.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
George passed at age 7 and I grieved pretty hard over his loss. I didn't want more pain so I decided no more birds. But after awhile, almost a year, my wife said that she liked my having a bird, that it made me a different (happier) person, and that I should think about getting another one. So we looked at all the species we thought we would like and decided on Hahnzel.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Thank you kindly for the replies everyone, I've been teary reading them all. I don't think I'm ready just yet. but I know I do want another. I keep thinking about getting another budgie, and looking up babies that are for sale but all I can think when I look at them is "None of these come close to being as pretty as mini.".

Maybe I will just see one , one day and I will fall in love at first sight just like I did with Mini. I watched her videos last night and cried so much. I miss her sweet little face and her cheeky attitude. :(

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
28694_10150178955650508_7269813_n.jpg

I thought my Wonsy was the most beautiful little girl in the world. Her brilliant blue, her snow white and the pattern on her wings... she was like a little snow cloud in the sky...

I got Lila a year after,
190415_10150443896725508_3169762_n.jpg

She was similar to Wonsy, the white, the blue, they grey, but she was still different. She was still beautiful but she was still not my Wonsy - she was Lila. Her beautiful, chirpy, acrobatic self who reminded me of my baby girl, without 'being' my baby girl. It was a nice mix of herself and her predecessor. She made me incredibly happy and I certainly would have kept her but I couldn't split her from her mate.

When the day comes that you're ready, you'll still think "my Mini was the prettiest budgie in the world", but you will also appreciate that your new bird, will also be the prettiest budgie in the world too - just in a different way!

I tried Crimsons method of getting over a loss, bird after bird after bird and it was wrong, the void was not filled because I was not ready. Do not rush it! You will feel it, you'll be drawn to that one special bird (or more than one!) and it will be the best thing you do for yourself.... when you are ready.

Watch the videos, cry your heart out, cry till you can cry no more, miss her, grieve, it's all natural. You've just lost your little baby and she's not coming back and it hurts. It should hurt, the hurt you feel now is because you loved her so much. Huge huge huge hugs. You'll get there.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Thank you Mayden! Your little Wonsy reminds me of Mini. Very similar colours!

When I was younger I had a budgie that I hadn't had for long but he was so sweet and we had really bonded, and a friend of my sisters stayed the night, and she was much younger and was chasing the budgie on the floor (I was not there when this happened, either were my parents, or this would never have happened!!) and she trod on him by accident. Needless to say he died right away. I was devastated. But the little girls mum felt awful and the next day turned up with a baby budgie. She was so snuggly and wanted hugs all the time, because she was so nervous. It definitely helped me get over the loss of Pepsi. At first I didn't like her much because I had only ever had boy budgies, and she was a girl, and BOY did she have an attitude!! And I felt like she would never be pepsi, the budgie I lost. But then I came to love her for her different personality and stop comparing her to pepsi. In fact she was such similar colouring and attitude to Mini, and when I got Mini my sister and I both agreed, she must have been reincarnated from that little girl budgie lol!

The pet shop I visited over the weekend has 8 baby budgies in the nest ready to be hand raised, so I'll be keeping an eye on them, to see if I find my new 'bird match'. :)

Folkeye

Oct 11, 2012
So Cal
Parrots
Jacky- Pacific Parrotlet (Nude-subspecies...feather picker.)

Jasper- Lady English Budgie
I'm a softie. It's been 3.5 years since I lost my first bird (bestest budgie ever!) and I still cry! The two I have now don't take his place... and that's how it should be. :)

As for getting a new bird, just to throw in my opinion... I told myself I'd give it a few months before getting a new feathered friend, take some time and heal. I made it a month. I truly just missed the companionship of a bird. Was tough making a new friend since he was SO not my budgie, and boy did he waste no time reminding me of it. But he's my baby now.

I needed another bird sooner than later to help me heal and distract me. He did a pretty good job.

Last edited:
OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Yeah I think I will always cry for Mini. I still think about her every single day and now I have her necklace sitting on my shelf and I just look at it and smile every day. They really do have a huge impact on you!

I have a new little guy now. :) Sometimes I think I rushed out too soon, the first night I cried my eyes out saying no I don't want this budgie, I want Mini. But I am starting to bond to him now, and he certainly helped the healing process. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts