Which is a better option for a first time parrot owner?

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I don't think you've chickened out at all. You've made a well-reasoned, thoughtful choice about what will be best for both you and a bird. And your tiel is STUNNING! When does he come home? Do you have a name for him?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I sure hope so because he comes with a dna certificate, Ik itā€™s not 100% accurate but I think it would be a pretty good bet that heā€™s male? He also hasnā€™t gone through his first molt and also I thought males were the ones that had barring on the tail?
Females have barring on the tails once they're adults. Mine did have if as a juvenile and I thought it was female but the striped tail disappeared and it ended up being male

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
I don't think you've chickened out at all. You've made a well-reasoned, thoughtful choice about what will be best for both you and a bird. And your tiel is STUNNING! When does he come home? Do you have a name for him?
Thank you, just thought about which bird I could keep the happiest under most circumstances and cockatiel was the answer for me. He comes home tonight and I donā€™t have a name for him yet but Iā€™ll share it with you all and some pictures when I have him home!

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Also can you guys see and let me know if his cage setup looks ok?
Sorry for the bad pic
IMG_0185.jpeg

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
IMG_0189.jpeg

Just got him home and settled in, at first he kept flying and kept hitting the walls of the cage and falling to the bottom but he seems to be a bit more calm now, is he just getting used to the cage and where the stuff is? I donā€™t want him to get hurt, this was the first pic I was able to get of him, heā€™s eating millet, drinking and preening his feather so I think heā€™s ok? Heard what sounded like beak grinding for a bit but that stopped too, now heā€™s just chilling in the same place, I think since itā€™s quiet now and itā€™s dark heā€™s resting. Iā€™ll try giving him some broccoli in the morning. Should I do anything about him falling?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
View attachment 57739
Just got him home and settled in, at first he kept flying and kept hitting the walls of the cage and falling to the bottom but he seems to be a bit more calm now, is he just getting used to the cage and where the stuff is? I donā€™t want him to get hurt, this was the first pic I was able to get of him, heā€™s eating millet, drinking and preening his feather so I think heā€™s ok? Heard what sounded like beak grinding for a bit but that stopped too, now heā€™s just chilling in the same place, I think since itā€™s quiet now and itā€™s dark heā€™s resting. Iā€™ll try giving him some broccoli in the morning. Should I do anything about him falling?
what a gorgeous baby! If You're worried about falling, you can place a few layers of newspaper on the bottom of the cage, or a towel without any loops that might get a toe caught in it. Also, if you can, try to have a ladder go up from the bottom of the cage to the upper perches. Baby cockatiels are clumsy as heck and sometimes need some extra motivation to climb up to their usual perch(es). It's not a requirement... and they can handle things well without it. It just helps :)

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
what a gorgeous baby! If You're worried about falling, you can place a few layers of newspaper on the bottom of the cage, or a towel without any loops that might get a toe caught in it. Also, if you can, try to have a ladder go up from the bottom of the cage to the upper perches. Baby cockatiels are clumsy as heck and sometimes need some extra motivation to climb up to their usual perch(es). It's not a requirement... and they can handle things well without it. It just helps :)
Thank you, Iā€™ll add a towel or a folded up bed sheet for padding rn and Iā€™ll get him a ladder next time I go to the pet store, heā€™s just a baby and I dont want him to hurt himself

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
IMG_0203.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg

Are his nostrils obstructed or am I just freaking out?

Mdanckers

Oct 29, 2023
Parrots
2 conures
A 3 month old unsexed green cheek conure or an 8 week old male cockatiel?
It has been four months since I got my two little female sun conures(first time ever owning birds). They each have different personalities and likes. I got them when they were 5 months old and spend most of my time with them. They are very social and love to hang out on my sons or husbands shoulders as well. They DO bite but the more you get to know them the more you understand why or when they are going to do it. They need fresh veggies and fruits on a daily in addition to their pellets and they take baths daily. They are so much fun but also I big responsibility. Good luck on finding your ideal birdie!

Most Reactions