Wooden’s toy for 4 months old Cockatoo (Safe ?)

7ijjawi

Aug 6, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoo Triton
I bought a new cockatoo triton recently. He hates the cage and wants to be flying around all time.

I have placed a wooden toy inside the cage and he started breaking it. I feel he is eating some pieces, however I’d like to know if wooden toys for baby cockatoo is safe or not ?

Thanks for any valuable advice and suggestions

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know some people think baby parrots shouldn’t have toys they can destroy because they will eat the pieces. I myself don’t know as I’ve never had a cockatoo. I do think that a four month old cockatoo seems quite young to be on its own, away from its parents.

Rowlet

Jul 18, 2022
Parrots
Pico - Green Cheek Conure
Are you sure he is ingesting the toy? Do you see bits of it on his cage floor or is his poop abnormal in any way? If you really do suspect he is ingesting toys I would suggest using some stainless steel skewers to hang vegetables like carrots or broccoli around his cage instead that he can safely ingest. There are also stainless steel toys you can get for him. All parrots should really have some toys in their cages to entertain themselves. If he's chewing on it then I think he does appreciate having something to chew on

Most Reactions