Yellow Naped Amazon Foot in Pain

Chip

Jun 6, 2011
Maui
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon

27 Years Old
Aloha from Maui,

About a week ago I had my birds nails clipped. They were quite long and were cut too short. There was a lot of bleeding during the clipping from one nail which was stopped with quick stop. It looked like he was recovering from the sore feet but after about six days he began to show the following symptoms.

One foot seems to be in pain. He has a hard time even holding food with that foot and it is difficult stand on so he holds it in the up position much of the time. One toe seems to stick out in a straight position compared to the other toes. It does not curve around the perch like normal. I am wondering if the nail may be split or infection? No swelling at all. I am going to another vet and may see if it can be checked for a break. Maui has been a disaster for bird doctors. None of them seem to be up to par on birds on this island. Oahu is much better. So much for this tropical island.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm very unhappy as my bird and I have been together for 27 years and I love him dearly.

Chip:(

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
As has been said many times here before on the forum, we are not avain vets and your bird needs to see one asap. Who trimmed the nails? Any time an animal is in pain it should be checked out.

OP
C

Chip

Jun 6, 2011
Maui
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon

27 Years Old
Thanks for the information, yes he is going to another vet for a possible x-ray and checkup ASAP. He doesn't seem to be in severe pain and acts almost normal. But birds have a way of dealing with life with a wonderful attitude even when in pain. I don't do as well my self.

Aloha,

Chip

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I hope he would recover!!! What happens sometime is their vein is at the tip uncovered unprotected by the nail. Any poke at it can give them dis-comfort. Like Spiritbird mentioned, bring them to the vet as they can varify it better then we can.

OP
C

Chip

Jun 6, 2011
Maui
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon

27 Years Old
Aloha,

He is set to see the vet Wednesday. I sure suffer with my 27 year life long friend. Yes, I hope he recovers from this injury. No sign of swelling at all so you are probably right. The nerve may be exposed.

I also contacted a number of avian doctors who are experts that I would go to when living in California. I hope to hear from them soon. If necessary I will take him to the Bay Area where there is real help.

Thanks for the support.

Chip

Most Reactions

Latest posts