Yellow shouldered Amazons

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Anyone here have one? I visited mine today, he still wants to be a baby so he won't be coming home for a while.

I read that in this species that most of the birds hatched are males and they have brighter coloration. Does anyone know this to be true?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes for some reason they hatch more males than females. Females are harder to find. Around here they still are cheap,males anyway. Most folks aren't breeding them much. Someone offered me unsexed babies for 300 and 2 proven pairs for 1800. Never understood why they aren't more popular. It's the bird of choice in places like Venezuela.

Last edited:
OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
They are cute as hell. I think this guy is very colorful compared to the pictures I have seen

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Oh very cute.How can you not fall in love with a baby zon? How much does he weigh? Looks like he might have a bit of BFA in the family tree.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I don't know his weight off hand but he is quite a bit smaller than a blue fronted Amazon. I just fell in love with him and his eye color is turning that nice orange color.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I have one, and it's a hen. I got her as a boy, but did the DNA sexing and it's a girl.
Mine is a super sweet bird, she just turned 7, but I have her for a little over 2 months now. These birds are rare, and I also have no idea why.
I have a little problem with mine, because she had a male owner as her original owner, so she goes crazy when guys are around. She let's me do anything I want with her (or almost everything), but she is not as animated with me as with any male person who is visiting (I have no males living in the house, TG).
You shouldn't have any problems if it's a baby. This little thing will remember you forever....just like my poor little girl remembers her original owner..... :(
All the best to you and him!

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Oh, I am sorry, I looked at the picture and just like henpecked I think your baby has a lot of BFA in him. The color of the beak is much darker and a lot of blue on his head. Mine has no blue anywhere but the tail, and the beak is bone color.
What an interesting combo!

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
His beak is actually lighter then that it looks dark in the pic. It is horn colored with a little dark striping I have seen pics of yellow shoulder Amazons with blue running up their cheeks. Like I said he is quite small compared to a blue front or any other species for that matter. Its possible I guess somewhere down the line a blue front had their way with a yellow shoulder but either way he is colorful and cute.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Another pic

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
She let's me do anything I want with her (or almost everything), but she is not as animated with me as with any male person who is visiting (I have no males living in the house, TG).

I'd be happy to send you some of the testosterone from MY household. :54: ....just say the magic word.....

HECK NO. :D

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Another pic

Well, that's a YSA for sure!
I have read somewhere that YSA babies do have a bit of blue on their heads. I think it might go away with age.
Very pretty little baby. I love how small the YSA's are. Smallness makes them even cuter..... :)
Are you planning to do DNA sexing?

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I don't have any plans to get him tested to see if he is a boy or a girl. I'm going to assume he is a boy since most hatched are boys. I don't have any intention of breeding him ever. He is down to two feedings a day so he can't come home yet. The owner of the store said he doesn't want to rush him and said he has to go at his pace.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
I don't have any plans to get him tested to see if he is a boy or a girl. I'm going to assume he is a boy since most hatched are boys. I don't have any intention of breeding him ever.....

That's how I got my girl as a boy.....:)
For 7 years everyone assumed it's a boy. I did the testing because I took her for a health check when I got her, and her vet took blood sample to check all other problems. The blood sample was there already anyway and going to the lab, so I ordered to DNA sex it. My vet was nice and charged me only what the lab is charging.
But you are right, it's not very important if you are not going to be breeding this birdy.
I still call my girl a boy sometimes, because it was "my little boy" for the first 2 weeks I had her....... LOL......:)
It's good that this store cares about the bird. It will give you time to prepare.....:)

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Hello Billy,
Your baby is beautiful, looks like a snuggle bug :) I don't own a yellow shouldered amazon but I ve been told they re on the smaller side of the size range, that's all I know with respect to them. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope your little one comes home soon, he ll fills your days and nights with joy and laughter :) amazons are wonderful pets, it's quite a pleasure caring for these amazing birds :) I hope all is well . Take care :)

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Now this little guy is my first Amazon. What are the differences I am going to notice between him and a Sun Conure?

Most Reactions

Latest posts