You g green cheek self trimmed new tail feathers ??

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I would'ent ever recommend anyone to get a bird from finch farm

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Because you got him as baby with tail feathers missing. Its most likely a sibling pulled them out, or an accident. My birds pull each others tail feathers in play. Tho thankfully are rarely successful in pulling one out.

It takes awhile for these feathers to be replaced, so it hasn't been long enough for him to have new ones yet.

If you dont seem constantly working his butt area, like it itches or is uncomfortable. Then he is probably ok. And you just have to wait for them to be replaced.

But if a burd is going after the tail area and between bottom legs only. Then it usually is a health issue. As behavioral plucking is shoulders, and chest belly area to start with. Even advanced pluckers often leave tail and primary wing feathers alone as it's very painful to pull these out.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Because you got him as baby with tail feathers missing. Its most likely a sibling pulled them out, or an accident. My birds pull each others tail feathers in play. Tho thankfully are rarely successful in pulling one out.

It takes awhile for these feathers to be replaced, so it hasn't been long enough for him to have new ones yet.

If you dont seem constantly working his butt area, like it itches or is uncomfortable. Then he is probably ok. And you just have to wait for them to be replaced.

But if a burd is going after the tail area and between bottom legs only. Then it usually is a health issue. As behavioral plucking is shoulders, and chest belly area to start with. Even advanced pluckers often leave tail and primary wing feathers alone as it's very painful to pull these out.
I thought It'd be a egg mate that'd got the tail feathers because I honestly don't believe the lady I got them from that Rei willingly plucked them.

I think they were pulled way before I got them as Rei arrived with pin feathers underneath. As it was borderline a month before I saw them again.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Outside of the tail feather snip that I can't figure out why, is a very happy and healthy bird from what I can see.

Attachments

• 20220111_181529.jpg
    20220111_181529.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220112_192301.jpg
    20220112_192301.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220112_192255.jpg
    20220112_192255.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 73
OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I woke up this morning and it snipped another feather off??

Could they just be bringing some discomfort enough with growing to frustrate the bird ?

Again just a section of it

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
😭😭😭 now only has 3 full feathers left.

It seems to do it at night in its cage ? Should I see if doing a sleep cage do anything better?

Only change recently is my mom did stay with us and played some conure videos while watching Rei for me( I normally put TV or music when I'm gone )

Otherwise nothing has changed.
20220129_103524.jpg

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
The Finch Farm- i hate to speak poorly of anyone, but our experience? My husband ordered a green parrotlett. He was notified the bird would be in on a specific day, and he was at post office that day, first thing. The poor little one was DOA. So my husband contacted the finch farm. He had great difficulty, could speak to no live person, and was directed to fill out a form. which he did and submitted. He tried to contact them for 5days in row. 10 days later, he got a response; sorry about the death of your bird. We pride ourselves in healthy birds. Unfortunately you are out of the time period in which to get a return.
Seriously??? We had to eventually do a charge back- we could never get thru their system to speak to anyone!! It was a very frustrating experience, not to mention how sad it was to see that beautiful little bird dead in the box. We think it got too cold….

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
O
The Finch Farm- i hate to speak poorly of anyone, but our experience? My husband ordered a green parrotlett. He was notified the bird would be in on a specific day, and he was at post office that day, first thing. The poor little one was DOA. So my husband contacted the finch farm. He had great difficulty, could speak to no live person, and was directed to fill out a form. which he did and submitted. He tried to contact them for 5days in row. 10 days later, he got a response; sorry about the death of your bird. We pride ourselves in healthy birds. Unfortunately you are out of the time period in which to get a return.
Seriously??? We had to eventually do a charge back- we could never get thru their system to speak to anyone!! It was a very frustrating experience, not to mention how sad it was to see that beautiful little bird dead in the box. We think it got too cold….
Oh no that's just horrible

Most Reactions