You g green cheek self trimmed new tail feathers ??

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
So I've had my green cheek baby since the 11th of January came to me with no tail feathers. Apparently self plucked its tail feathers out a bit before I was given it. But had quite a few pin feathers

Since then it's growing well but yesterday, while in the bathroom doing laundry with little Rei chilling on the shower curtain. I see something fall out of the corner of my eye and I spot a small section of new feather growing in.

I don't know why this happened, I do have a vet appointment on the 1st of March as it's the soonest I could get in.

Hatched October 30th 2021.

Attachments

• 20220123_185700.jpg
    20220123_185700.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220111_164740.mp4
    2.7 MB
  • 20220117_165541.jpg
    20220117_165541.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 82

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It could be he lost them in accident, and because they will all be kinda if large when they grow in and several will be growing in at tge same time it can be uncomfortable.
But also plucking feathers in this area only can indicate a health issue like yeast overgrowth or bacterial imbalance. Definitely getting a veterinarian exam is best practice.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
It could be he lost them in accident, and because they will all be kinda if large when they grow in and several will be growing in at tge same time it can be uncomfortable.
But also plucking feathers in this area only can indicate a health issue like yeast overgrowth or bacterial imbalance. Definitely getting a veterinarian exam is best practice.
It wasn't plucking that I saw at least, just snipped the tip off one of the new growths. Has only done it once and hasn't bothered them since.

But yeah I'll definitely be doing a vet appointment in March, absolutely every vet is just booking 3-4 weeks in advance. And I don't drive so going out of 5-6 hours out of town for the next bird vet just isn't feasible

Very happy at least doing well enough to have a bunch of growth from frog butt to the length of tail feathers now.

Attachments

• 20220124_091159.jpg
    20220124_091159.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 82

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
What a beautiful boy! I'd love to own a gcc someday

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
What a beautiful boy! I'd love to own a gcc someday
Thank you! I absolutely love Rei

However I would never recommend the breeder I got him from, never bothered to tell me Rei lost its tail feathers till the day I went to go pick them up. Nor was the diet proper. Just kind of sub par to poor care of her birds

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Well I would'ent buy birds again from the place I got mine last time. But we all make mistakes and learning from them is the important part.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Well I would'ent buy birds again from the place I got mine last time. But we all make mistakes and learning from them is the important part.
Yeah definitely, about the nice thing, they do some how raise some very friendly, cuddly birds

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Rainbow Lories: Mathew & Mia 🤍
I’m not an expert when it comes to this, but I once read that birds pluck their feather because they’re bord or not in a good mood. I hope there isn’t any issue with your cute little one.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
some birds pluck because there nervous about something like maybe a new cage or a new toy

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Oh! I didn’t know about “yeast overgrowth or bacterial imbalance” is their any signs for them? I started to worry a bit about my little ones!

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I’m not an expert when it comes to this, but I once read that birds pluck their feather because they’re bord or not in a good mood. I hope there isn’t any issue with your cute little one.
Definitely not bored or in a bad mood that I've seen. A fairly happy bird thatd happily bring its delightful chaos of hanging off my shirt upside down and attempt to harass the rabbits haha.

Not plucking but just snipped the top of the new feather off. Didn't remove the whole feather.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
some birds pluck because there nervous about something like maybe a new cage or a new toy
Absolutely nothing has changed around the house or routine we have done for the past 13 days.

No plucking or trimming of feathers when it arrived home, honestly was happy as can be with all the beak grinding and purring. Chitters. A lot of positive behaviours. So it strikes me as off for it to decide to snip a feather

eman

Jul 10, 2021
Kuwait
Parrots
Definitely not bored or in a bad mood that I've seen. A fairly happy bird thatd happily bring its delightful chaos of hanging off my shirt upside down and attempt to harass the rabbits haha.

Not plucking but just snipped the top of the new feather off. Didn't remove the whole feather.
Glad to know that your little one is happy 🙏🏻

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
Have u seen anything small at all that could've sparked this? Cause sometimes the smallest things cause big problems

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Glad to know that your little one is happy 🙏🏻
Out of the cage the whole time I'm home, normally only spends max 5 hours in the cage during day light while.im in class ( lots of space and toys ) , spends in it at night. That's about it

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Have u seen anything small at all that could've sparked this? Cause sometimes the smallest things cause big problems
Nope absolutely nothing has changed. I have aspsegers plus slight OCD so my routines are pretty set and if anything is out of place I'd notice

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I got my budgies from a place called " The Finch Farm"

Most Reactions