Mirren

Dec 5, 2013
NSW south coast, Australia
Parrots
Bo the Hahn's macaw.
Cosmo the Eclectus.
Cockatiels Artie and Fergus.
Smurfette the blue Quaker.
I'm sure people have gone through it over and over again.

We had a little toy basketball hoop, with a little ball on a short chain. Since the chain was only a few links, maybe three, I didn't give it much thought. It came with our blue Quaker when her previous owner couldn't look after her any more. She used to fill it with seed husks, for some reason...

Anyway, I like to rotate toys, so I gave this one to Bo. Being the brilliant bird he is (who may one day figure out how to balance while holding food in his foot), was happily shooting a few hoops. I took the toy out after a week or two, replaced it with something else, then put it back a couple of weeks later.

I was sitting watching TV the other night, with Bo's cage on the coffee table in front of me. He suddenly started to panic. I jumped up, opened his cage and saw that he had his toe caught in a gap in the side of the ball. The gaps are triangular, he'd put it in the wider side and it must have slid along into the narrow bit.

I had to get my husband to hold him so I could get his toe out. Of course I confiscated his toy. I was in tears and of course blaming myself for not realising what could have happened.

Luckily he bounced right back, but no birdy NBA for Bo!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank goodness you were right there! I'm really glad Bo is ok:) Toys are such a scary thing.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Good thing you were there to take care of him. I was in the same boat just a week or so ago.....I'm glad everything is ok for you and your baby! ;)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I've been in that very boat, but with a broken beak.

I'm glad he was ok and you were right there when it happened.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh dear! How scary! Just goes to prove - NO toy is entirely safe :( Thank goodness you were right there and could help before it got completely out of hand!

ChaoticFun.com

Jan 3, 2014
Oh dear! How scary! Just goes to prove - NO toy is entirely safe :( Thank goodness you were right there and could help before it got completely out of hand!

That's right, no toys are 100% safe because ANYTHING can happen. All we can do is the best we can to choose the safest toys possible. Small chain links, wires and ropes should be avoided. None of our toys feature such things. If you check out our toys, they have been engineered to be as safe as possible, while being fun for the bird and saving the owner money since they are indestructible and re-loadable. You can see them at Chaotic Fun Glad to hear your Bo is ok. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts