1st time mama to a 8 week old green cheek conure pinapple named coco

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
Looks like my cage but slightly bigger except mine has a metal tray instead of plastic. Mine isn't HQ though, got it at the local bird store. Still waiting for my birdy to come home from the breeder in 10 days.
20180518_095411.jpg

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Looks like my cage but slightly bigger except mine has a metal tray instead of plastic. Mine isn't HQ though, got it at the local bird store. Still waiting for my birdy to come home from the breeder in 10 days.
20180518_095411.jpg

I’d be careful of the metal wire like ledges. I once had a rat get it’s foot caught in one and his leg snapped with the bones sticking out of his skin. I found him that way and had to push this broken leg back through the bars while he was screaming murder. The whole thing was horrible and while I know birds walk/grip different and it’s not as likely to happen with them I’ve just avoided these like crazy for all of my animals.

Also, that group of conures in your sig are beautiful!

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
I’d be careful of the metal wire like ledges. I once had a rat get it’s foot caught in one and his leg snapped with the bones sticking out of his skin. I found him that way and had to push this broken leg back through the bars while he was screaming murder. The whole thing was horrible and while I know birds walk/grip different and it’s not as likely to happen with them I’ve just avoided these like crazy for all of my animals.

Also, that group of conures in your sig are beautiful!

Thanks for the concern, I'll keep a close eye on the baby when he/she comes home. The ledges only have 4 points where it touches the side of the cage, the gaps are actually wider on the platform when it reaches to the side of the cage. But i'll still will be cautious about it. I work from home and the cages are in my office. All my birdies have night time cages upstairs. Thanks for the compliment on my Suns, they can be quite the handful :18:

That cage shown is for the new lovebird I am getting. Loki will be home next weekend I hope!
babylovie2.jpg

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
That cage shown is for the new lovebird I am getting. Loki will be home next weekend I hope!
babylovie2.jpg

Oh he’s beautiful and another Loki on the fourm:D I’ve always loved the violet and blue lovebirds and came really close recently to getting one since I have an empty cage haha. But decided to move my cockatiel male out of the girls cage instead.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm glad this is all working out for you and Coco, she is adorable...and shouldn't have any issues getting around at all with the splayed legs...

On another note, not to get any money back, but to save any other babies from being permanently disabled, I would highly suggest calling the breeder up simply to tell him that your baby came home to you that night with a horrible case of splayed legs, which is caused by him not properly lining the nest boxes with bedding, and that she didn't have any idea how to perch, which is from not switching his babies from nest boxes to weaning cages when they start to pick at solid food. If one baby has splayed legs then they all likely do, and if he has 30 birds that means he's breeding all kinds of babies will issues. He may not know that he's doing anything wrong, or he may know and he doesn't care, but just in-case, I'd drop him at least an email telling him about the splayed legs and the need for immediate vet care, splints, and still Coco is permanently disabled, and that he needs to do research on how he houses his babies from nest box to weaning cages to prevent this from happening anymore...poor babies..

Green Cheeks are very loving, cuddly birds, and I'm sure in-time Coco will warm right up to you and your family. Just have to work with her daily and slowly. My Green Cheek, Bowie, is my special little baby, he is just the sweetest, gentlest, most loving little parrot I've even had the pleasure of inviting into my family. I hope that Coco brings you and your family the same kind of joy!

OP
tduane

tduane

May 12, 2018
Update ♡♡♡☆☆☆
So we had our follow up apt about coco's splayed legs.
Well coco has had improvement!
The vet rebandaged and put stiffer stints on.
Told us to put a pillow case on bottom and make a small towel nest.
Was very surprised on the improvement. Also surprised how much coco has come around socially and even said it remarkable how strong of a flyer. 12 to 15 week old guesstimate.
She said it probably wont be fixed completely but it will improve more and is very optimistic that it will get better.we will go back on Wednesday and all bandages will be removed.
It was just great news.
Keep doing what we are doing.
So great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Yay Coco!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tduane

tduane

May 12, 2018
Coco actually fell asleep snuggling to my face. What a wonderful little guy.
So happy we found each other!
ad042b2eebc410c8c580bd6acec5f8d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts