C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
Well, I'll put my two cents in...

It's less advice and more STORY.

The Rb was an angel until he becam a rooster at about age 4. And then, he became a raging, demanding little stinker. He's a fun mimic and an entertaining character, but
I have reduced biting to almost zero over the decades... not because I've changed the bird, but I have changed me. And a lot of that has involved giving up on a lot of my desires/expectations. After years of battle, I surrendered. I don't do stuff that gets me bitten. I don't scratch his head much, ever... tail is okay. I NEVER do stuff that makes him mad... I don't touch others when he's out; I rarely try to get him to step up onto my hand first. Hand-held perch first, then hand. In some ways, I swallow my disappointment at having such a little monster for a pet, but he is what he is. I ALWAYS wear my hair down when he's on my shoulder, so all he can bite is hair. Really, I don't involve hands much... he doesn't like them. He seems to think the real ME is my head, perched on a weird moveable tree with questionable appendages.
Since he's fully flighted, the ONLY way I get him into the cage is to toss a chile pepper in and he flaps in after it. So food reward is a necessity for me. Time-out doesn't exist in the Rb's kingdom.
But please... listen to and try all the good advice you'll get here. Don't surrender until you know you've done your best. Then just accept and love whatever/whoever your bird turns out to be.
My darling is kind of a worse-case scenario, but we have it all worked out between the two of us.
Very, very best of luck to you.
Good for you for reaching out!
Oh, and... every now and then, he breaks up with me. Gets mad for no apparent reason and won't come to me, won't call my name, won't even look at me. It can last days or weeks. Then he gets over it and takes me back. Little monster.
But he's a beautiful, wonderful half-wild, amazing parrot, alive and living in my home. Sometimes that just has to be miracle enough. He'll be with me as long as I am alive. I hope you can find a way to offer your little wild-thing the same.

I *DO* respect and appreciate that you do seem to love your bird, and you do keep coming back.

P.S.
I have a law enforcement background, too! Thank you for your service.[/QUOTE
]
I just want too thank you and everyone for their advice. I’m not giving up on him.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
It does sound like puberty to me, and quite possibly he is a giving a sign that you can't see and/or we're unable to communicate it in a way. I use a slightly altered version of Sailboat's advice, mine being "It's never the fault of the parrot" I don't always believe it's the human's fault, is it our fault a cat decided to walk in the yard causing a scare? Or a cop car turned the sirens on? Nope! But it's certainly not the bird's fault in either case, they got scared by something or threatened. In short, there's normally a reason and hey hormones count for that too! We've all seen how moody human teenagers get when they begin producing hormones!

At least for the time being I would get him used to stepping up to a stick, training perch or even using a perch from in the cage so he can get used to concept of stepping up and associating the act with the reward from you whilst you and him get more accustomed to each other as let's be fair that is a large part of the process. Of course remember over the time that sometimes the hardest step is the first one, you may drive yourself to wits end then BAM he suddenly becomes a delightfully well behaved cuddle bug.

On a side note, don't take people as snarling at you or anything. We all have our own writing styles and what-not and what may be intended as a concise no nonsense but well mannered point can be construed as a harsh smack. I know I come across in a less than favourable light at times with no ill intent. no offense intended here of course. Just perhaps observe things with a pinch of salt, tone naturally is a hard thing to convey in the written form!

I do hope you and Raider start to get on better soon. Thankfully hormone season should start to come to a close soon

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
I believe you!
You're his everything.
Hi,
Wow Raider is doing well...I have been leaving his cage open and he has been coming out eating plenty of good food and socializing good he jumped on my Goffin toos cage he knew he shouldn’t be their he walked over to me stepped up went back on his cage and chilled all day in and out of his cage. Best part he came too me know problem now that is lucky progress .

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
I believe you!
You're his everything.
Hi,
Wow Raider is doing well...I have been leaving his cage open and he has been coming out eating plenty of good food and socializing good he jumped on my Goffin toos cage he knew he shouldn’t be their he walked over to me stepped up went back on his cage and chilled all day in and out of his cage. Best part he came too me know problem now that is lucky progress .
Well Raider and I had another good day today I’ve been giving him avicalm and it is working along with me giving him time too adjust and giving him positive attention .

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
I believe you!
You're his everything.
Hi,
Well Raider and I had another good day today I’ve been giving him avicalm and it is working along with me giving him time too adjust and giving him positive attention .
Just wanted everyone too know food sure does help too get along and trust my green demon. He is stepping up on my forearm no problems I open his door he walks all over his cage then hangs on his door I’m learning how not too get bit.

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Yes that’s what I’ve been doing with my little monster he does step up but after a dozen bites on my hands I use my forearm now.

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Well I’ve had another good couple days with raider......food seems to really work well he’s an eater.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Cas

Let’s not get overly defensive. These people here - guarantee - aren’t pouncing or snarling at you. When trying to get someone’s undivided attention on a particular subject so they can help, text can easily fail to convey the True Tone of someone’s message. Everyone from itsjbean to sailboat, they are desperately trying to help you. Never once is someone here trying to make you feel bad.

Keep that in mind as you’re interacting with everyone here.

Might I suggest posting here a few different videos of your interactions with raider, narrating what you are thinking; feeling, and noticing as you’re interacting with him. Seeing this will help tailor the advice a bit. I did that a couple years ago when attempting to harness train my ekkie. Explaining what I was doing, why I was doing it, what I observed about his reactions to what I was doing, etc. I was able to get some excellent critiques. Never got him trained but I learned a lot from it.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Cas

Let’s not get overly defensive. These people here - guarantee - aren’t pouncing or snarling at you. When trying to get someone’s undivided attention on a particular subject so they can help, text can easily fail to convey the True Tone of someone’s message. Everyone from itsjbean to sailboat, they are desperately trying to help you. Never once is someone here trying to make you feel bad.

Might I suggest posting here a few different videos of your interactions with raider, narrating what you are thinking; feeling, and noticing as you’re interacting with him. Seeing this will help tailor the advice a bit. I did that a couple years ago when attempting to harness train my ekkie. Explaining what I was doing, why I was doing it, what I observed about his reactions to what I was doing, etc. I was able to get some excellent critiques. Never got him trained but I learned a lot from it.
Well don’t take my posts that I’m getting nasty eighther.....I’m retired law enforcement I’m used too getting straight too the point don’t mean too come off like a .... if you can understand me please.

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Cas

Hey bud, I’m sorry for loosing my temper I understand y’all are trying too help and I’m thankful for such good people on this site look I’m bipolar I sometimes get defensive over everything and I’m sorry for any harsh posts.

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Hi guys,
I just want too let y’all know raider is getting better day by day with me. I now pick him up with my forearm too hold him he hasn’t bitten in a couple weeks. He’s talking too me now cracking me up time,time,time is the key for us I’m giving him treats plus he’s an amahog he eats anything we have for dinner. Thanks for the advice.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
good to hear the progress is continuing, I have heard tale of these "Amahogs" haha I couldn't imagine one of those trying to get at my dinner, it was enough of a fight getting a tiny Green Cheek away from my dinner!

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Well raider and I took a few steps backwards,he’s bitten me pretty hard last two weeks while I was trying to put him back in his cage.
I still let him come in and out of his cage all day. He hates not being able too have free will in his space. So what I did was put him in his cage and wouldn’t let him out till the next day he hates that so let’s see how this works.

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Boy oh boy raider is a stubborn bird I’ve been trying so much too give him his space but I have too feed him take care of his cage he’s still biting. All he does now is come out in the morning sit on his cage goes on his play top and back and forth in and out of his cage. He seems too be one miserable Amazon. I hope in time he relaxes I’ve only had him a few months now he’s nothing like my other parrots they don’t bite and adjusted pretty quick.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Boy oh boy raider is a stubborn bird I’ve been trying so much too give him his space but I have too feed him take care of his cage he’s still biting. All he does now is come out in the morning sit on his cage goes on his play top and back and forth in and out of his cage. He seems too be one miserable Amazon. I hope in time he relaxes I’ve only had him a few months now he’s nothing like my other parrots they don’t bite and adjusted pretty quick.

He may still be trying to settle.. these guys can take a while to adjust. Biting is their way of saying -- hey, back off and respect my space!!! Amazons are not known to be especially clingy, cuddly, or need that much human interaction. Of course you will have some out there that love people but they are not like other parrots that crave attention, these guys are more of a hang out and chill in the room kind of bird.

That doesn't mean he is miserable! Just because he bites you and prefers to hang out on a stand or his cage all day, it doesn't make him unhappy. These guys just demand some respect, space and they prefer to do their own thing. If he is constantly pacing, it could be a sign of stress. Possibly with too much stimulus, ie. other noises, birds, animals, doors opening, closing, etc. that could affect the adjustment period.

If you were looking for a parrot that wants human interaction I'm afraid you are mistaken on what this species prefers, you may have to accept your bird the way he is -- independent and content to hang out.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Cas, Thats kinda my experience - Zons like to hang, get their scratches, maybe play with you a bit, and then back to doing their own thing. Salty loves his scratches, and small amounts of rough housing, but when he sits on my shoulder wings quivering and staring at his boing/playchain, its time to put him back. He is not cuddly for more than 30-40 seconds and that would be a long time for him. Actually Raider sounds like he is coming along, slowly, and at his pace. Good job!

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Hi all,
Yes I’m convinced after all the biting and a little butting heads with y’all Raider is a very independent parrot. When first bringing him home he loved too be held head scratched talked laughed now he’s with my other parrots and hormonal because he’s smelling musty and acting pissed off. I just give him his space feed him his treats let him do his thing.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
hormonal because he’s smelling musty and acting pissed off. I just give him his space feed him his treats let him do his thing.

Good call! It's spring and most adult parrots on the forums have been testy to say the least. You do not suffer alone!

OP
C

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Hi guys,
I’ve been giving Raider his space he’s coming around good he’s coming too me stepping up not biting talking when I’m holding him only for a couple minutes I hold him. Backing off has worked real well with him he’s starting to fit in now.

Most Reactions