A sad post...

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
R.I.P. Linius, my Sun conure
Tapa and Tio, Parakeets, Xander 3 month old sun conure
Today I am posting with the utmost pain.
Linius, my Sun conure, has sadly passed away.
Today while cleaning the house the cages where moved outside so the fumes would not kill the birds. Sadly God had a different plan in mind. My sister came in my room to let me know that the parakeets had needed more water. Suddenly a sounds was heard outside and as we ran it was discovered that a neighborhood dog had entered our backyard, tipped over Linius's cage and taken Linius. He ran away with my baby's body in his mouth back to his home. It all happened so fast. My baby was suddenly gone from me. We went to the dog's house, I had some false hope Linius would be alive still, and when we rang the door nob the owner came out with a shoe box...with my baby's body in it. Needless to say I broke down crying. He had only live barley a year. I wanted him to live 30 long years. I wanted him to have great experiences and meet many people. I cried for hours and still feel terribly sad. I can remember the weekends when i used to take him to get treats and toys. He loved the orange groves. He loved to laugh when he pooped and made kissing noises at anyone who gave him a kiss. Staying on peoples shoulders was one of his favs. along with bananas and showers and so much more.

My brother went and talked to the owner oh his parents and it turns out Linius has two siblings that will be ready in two weeks. He'll call and let me have my pick. But I dont know if I should get another one. Linius can never be replaced by another bird. My brother also made a necklace for me with his leg band. We burried him in his happy hut so he can rest for eternity. and a cross made of his perches marks his grave.

I plan on putting chicken wire up soon to prevent anymore stray animals from coming through the fence. Its sad when we have to even be wary of other peoples animals in our own back yards.

Linius will be missed greatly. Gone but not forgotten. I love you my pretty boy :orange:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
So sorry to hear :( what an awful experience that you had to go through. Take your time before you decide you want another bird. Its too tough right now because it feels like a replacement but its not, you are just giving another bird a home and a place in your heart, not replacing a part of your heart. But you will know best in time. Again, condolences.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i'm so sorry. my heart goes out to you xxxx

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
Thank you, you guys. I just woke up thinking I heard him call me but it was not so :'(
I barley slept two hours and cant fall back asleep now :/
My Baby, he's still on my mind like crazy. I watched some vids I have of him but the audio wont work for some reason. I want to hear my baby. I miss his chirp. I miss him calling to me so I could hold him. I know now that he is resting forever in the great big flock in heaven. He can eat all the bananas he wants now and all the persimons and poo anywhere he wants. Yes, he's free now and he can go anywhere. Miss my baby :'(

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So sorry for your loss, I feel your pain
You have wonderful memories always to be treasured
Mourn your loss, take your time. At a later stage perhaps consider another bird.

Fly free Linius

Robert Gift

Oct 9, 2010
Denver, Colorado USA
Parrots
Liang Zai "pretty boy" in Mandarin Chinese.
3-year-old Jenday supervisor!
Canary: Johann Sebastian Bird
So.rry about Linius.

Get another bird when it is ready to be adopted and provide a good home for it in Linius' memory.

Where are you that dogs are allowed to run into others' yards?

Though the dog was just playing or acting on instinct, the owner must pay for another bird.

We have fox and coyotes. None of our pets can be outside without someonearby.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Yes this is a very sad story in your life. Pet loss through any means is a loss we never forget. It would be helpful for your grieving process to sit down and write a story about Linius, what he brought to your life and include any photos you may have. We are here for you.

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
So.rry about Linius.

Get another bird when it is ready to be adopted and provide a good home for it in Linius' memory.

Where are you that dogs are allowed to run into others' yards?

Though the dog was just playing or acting on instinct, the owner must pay for another bird.

We have fox and coyotes. None of our pets can be outside without someonearby.

We live in an association where the rules are no ones dogs are allowed to be out of the yard unattended. Small dogs that can escape the fencing should be kept inside or the owner must put up chicken wire fencing to prevent the dog from escaping. The man always lets that dog run loose. I even found it once quite a bit far from home so we picked it up, gave it a bath, and returned it to its owner. And yes the owner has agreed to pay for another bird, but it will still never replace Linius.

Sad part is Linius grew up trusting dogs. The Owner of his parents has large dogs who protect the cages he has outside. Our own personal dogs respect the birds greatly and protect them outside too. However this dog that killed the bird was a friend to my dog. Had it been any other dog, our dog Dante would have chased it away. He just didnt know the small dog would tip the cage and get into it to get Linis. My mom is afraid that Dante might see that as ok now that he's seen it, and no longer trusts any of the animals with the birds.

And I think I'll do that SpiritBird, its actually kinda helped me to post about it so maybe a story about Linius would help too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Im so sorry to hear about your Linius!!!!

Its very tough to lose a pet/child/best friend. When I lost my Cracker I cried for months. He was killed by a dog i took in, on the second day is when he killed him. He died in my arms. Did not sleep well and could hardly work. So I feel your pain. But I soon had to get over it cause I know I have other babies to care for. But I was still heart broken. I cried on the drive home from work and try to be strong when im home cause my other babies do need me to care for them. He will never be replaced, he is a very special bird!!! He's barried in my garden where he will always be remembered.

He will be watching over you like my cracker is watching over me!

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I am so sorry that this happened~ I have 2 very large german shepherds and I actually fear for them more, I am glad your neighbor has agreed to pay for a new bird, good luck!

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
That is so terrible! :( My eyes were tearing up as I read this post. You must be flooded with so many emotions. I would rather have the man pay to have his yard fenced than have him pay for another bird. Please don't rush to get another bird. When my cockatiel died I wanted to get another bird right away but I had to properly grieve first. I waited about three months before I brought home another bird. You'll know when the time is right. Don't rush. Finding another companion takes time. Just know that Linius is flying free over the rainbow bridge.

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Oh my.. I'm so sorry this happened :(. It seems just weeks ago we were laughing at his little antics.. no bird will ever replace him. It's clear he loved you very much, and I think he would want you to be happy. He'll always have a most special place in your heart! Having one of his siblings might help patch up the hole he left, but only when you are ready to share your love with another bird. I haven't told anyone here yet.. but recently I had a parrotlet who flew out the door, which was open because my little brother (9) was trying to lug in a huge package without help. I couldn't find my little baby anywhere, and the next day a neighbor came to me saying he saw my "lost" posters, and it turns out his cat got him. He brought me one of his feathers :(. I cried for days and talked to people on the other forum, and they helped me realize that I can't just spend the rest of my life dwelling on the sadness that I go through. I had been planning to get another bird before I lost him, and I realized that my life still had to go on. He'll always be with me inside. Make sure the man learn from this accident that it's important to keep his dogs on his own property. It's nice that he is trying to make up for it though. When the babies are ready, maybe you will be too :). Fly free Linius! He's in a safe place now :). I know it's hard, but I hope you feel better. *HUG*

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My worst fears realized. Our dog Dawg is very tolerant of Merlin, but I never leave them alone even for a minute. Merlin likes to torment Dawg & I don't trust that she will be tolerant every time. I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure all bird lovers have these same sort of nightmares. Your story will remind us to keep diligent on protecting our birds.

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
Im so sorry to hear about your Linius!!!!

Its very tough to lose a pet/child/best friend. When I lost my Cracker I cried for months. He was killed by a dog i took in, on the second day is when he killed him. He died in my arms. Did not sleep well and could hardly work. So I feel your pain. But I soon had to get over it cause I know I have other babies to care for. But I was still heart broken. I cried on the drive home from work and try to be strong when im home cause my other babies do need me to care for them. He will never be replaced, he is a very special bird!!! He's barried in my garden where he will always be remembered.

He will be watching over you like my cracker is watching over me!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm sorry you had the same sort of experience. Perhapse Cracker will show Linius how great it is up there. They were both very much loved birds, I know.

That is so terrible! :( My eyes were tearing up as I read this post. You must be flooded with so many emotions. I would rather have the man pay to have his yard fenced than have him pay for another bird. Please don't rush to get another bird. When my cockatiel died I wanted to get another bird right away but I had to properly grieve first. I waited about three months before I brought home another bird. You'll know when the time is right. Don't rush. Finding another companion takes time. Just know that Linius is flying free over the rainbow bridge.

I haven't talked to the man, seeing as my brother is the one dealing with him. But I want to let him know that its in every ones best interest to get his fence done. If he doesnt comply I'm sure the association will warm him. The only problem is the association doesnt have a log of peoples pets so they dont know which houses need it or not. Its really up to the neighbors to report it but I dont want to feel like a jerk or anything (especially since the fines start about 150-200 bucks. And thats just for leaving the trash cans outside too long!).

Last edited:
OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
Yea it does doesnt it, Boo? I'm going to miss taking him to the bathroom in the morning, no matter how scary/funny it was lol. And I'm so sorry to hear about your parrolet. Cracker and Linius and your baby are all hanging out there on a great big fruit tree laughing and chriping in a safe place now.

And yes Merlinsmom13, let us all learn from this so that no other precious baby will have to suffer the same fate. My biggest regret is that I wasnt there for him in his last moments, and that he was scared, and most likely in pain. But thank God it was quick, at least I like to think.

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
Hey guys I'll be posting a video of Linius today. Something to show you guys what a great of bird he was and to remember him. I'll post a link when its up. Thank you all for your support.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Man that is so, so sad :(

Strangely last night I had a dream Loco was gone. I woke up quote upset, I can't imagine how upset you must be.

Hope you get though this tough time ok. All the best.

Tarryn

Mar 14, 2011
JHB
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (Blue)
She has PBFD and im trying to take the best care of her! Her name is Twilight.
Im so sorry to hear about your loss and it actually makes me scared because i dont really know how long i still have my baby for. (She/He has PBFD)
but just remember, you wont be replacing Linius, you will only be giving another bird a new home.
Im sorry you had to lose him, as its NEVER nice to lose asy pet.
Time heals.
He's still chirping at you and 'Talking' to you even though you may not hear him.

God Bless.

OP
Parrot Parent

Parrot Parent

Feb 22, 2011
My house
Parrots
Im so sorry to hear about your loss and it actually makes me scared because i dont really know how long i still have my baby for. (She/He has PBFD)
but just remember, you wont be replacing Linius, you will only be giving another bird a new home.
Im sorry you had to lose him, as its NEVER nice to lose asy pet.
Time heals.
He's still chirping at you and 'Talking' to you even though you may not hear him.

God Bless.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. That must be horrible knowing you might only have so long with your bird. I think that it kinda should make us all appreciate a little more the time we have with our loved ones, avian or not. Especially since we dont know if they are suddenly going to be gone, or we know today might be the last day. It seems like an eternity since Linius has passed, when it has only been three days... Sorry i think im rambling. Thank you so much for your kind words, and I hope you and your baby have much time left.

Most Reactions

Latest posts