adopted yellow nap amazon

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
His beak is light with tip black, his feet are light but a friend told me to put coconut oil of his feet where they were dry so maybe that made them a little lighter

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
so is this for sure yellow nap amazon? He is forever home regardless just wanna know if he is older than 3

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Several possibilities come to mind, Hybrid, or more likely a hen mealy that was an unsuccessful breeder who had her nape plucked. Often plucked zons will replace feathers with yellow feathers. I would need to see better pics that include cere and shoulder or spread wing/tail. More history and better pics,please. PS ,i'm not ruling out she's mostly nape.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I hope I was not lied to about his age his is not banded.

Of course, any time someone lies it is not a righteous thing to do, but there is nothing wrong with adopting an older bird. Well cared for zons live as long as people do, so even if he was 30 (just throwing a random number out there, I couldn't begin to guess) he still has a long life ahead. My parents have a female DYH who was wild caught and is at least 45 years old, if not older, and in perfect health. Their green cheek is 40 years old, and he was born with some genetic issues, even he is still pretty darn healthy. He even suffered a STROKE a few years ago and recovered almost back to normal. My BFA is around 16 and a ball of energy. Amazons have VERY long lives and are very hardy birds, so long as they are well cared for.

Has he been to the vet yet? Drinking more than normal can be a sign of serious health issues. Another thing is, how much fruit and veg does he eat (some zons can be very picky and stubborn with diet)? Their primary source of moisture is from the produce they eat, and when they lack in it, they have to drink more to compensate. Either way, he still needs to have a checkup at a good AV if he hasn't already. When you have no background on a bird, it's always best to identify any potential health concerns as soon as possible so they can be addressed.

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
I watch him or her drink water last night Landry's drinking plenty of water

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
Regardless of age gender Landry's has found a forever home. Just wish I could hear some noise form her. But I only had Landry 7 days

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Regardless of age gender Landry's has found a forever home. Just wish I could hear some noise form her. But I only had Landry 7 days

Be careful what you wish for,LOL.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I watch him or her drink water last night Landry's drinking plenty of water

Just so you know, it is normal for them to take drinks a couple times a day out of their dish. Because of how their beak is designed, they dip the lower "bucket" part of their beak in and then tip their head a little back and wiggle their tongues to swallow (that's the best way I can describe it, I'm sure its not a scientifically accurate description there;)). It looks like they are drinking it in like they've been deprived of water for weeks, but nature really didn't bless them with an idea mechanism for graceful drinking. And since they can only take in a small amount at a time, they will dip the "bucket" part in repeatedly to get a good drink.

Only a vet can determine if the bird is healthy and is just taking a drink or if it is in fact drinking excessively and what the underlying cause is.

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
ok thanks I have a vet schedule with our local bird guy. landry's loves you tube of other amazons some videos he spreads his wings and makes poping noise, kinda weird lol

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
Its been almost 2 weeks and landry still very quiet almost silent comes out of his cage and sits on back of cage. He eats harrisons pellets and his snacks vegs. How long usually before the get comfortable. I mean he steps right up never offers to bite very loving caring bird. I have a vet scheduled to check him out.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
It sounds like you've already made great progress with Landry if he's already coming out of his cage and comfortable stepping up. Sounds like you've done a good job making the little guy feel at home. While being noisy is "normal" for amazons, there are very quiet individuals out there. My parents GCA is really quiet, he only makes noise if someone mentioned his favorite treats.

Landry may just be a quiet bird by nature, which is probably a good thing for you:) Have you heard an amazon on "full volume"? Especially a big one like a YNA? If Landry is a nice, quiet boy consider yourself very lucky.

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
Landry's vist with Dr went well gave him a clear bill of health! Told me to give him more time to get adjusted, also he is between 12 and 20 years old. I was told he was 3 years old when I got him sad people lie like that but o well we have plenty of time to love one another. Thanks for letting me ask questions and be a worry wort.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Glad the vet said he was all healthy! And it's never a bad thing to be a worry wart. Much better than being the person who doesn't worry at all until a problem occurs.

Possibly, his prior owners had him 3 years, so they just didn't feel the need to bring up the fact he had a home before them or something. Either way, he's still pretty young:) Our 16 y/o BFA has just started trick training, and is doing well, so even "old birds" can still learn new tricks;) Best of luck with Landry. I'm sure you'll keep us all updated of his progress (and if he decides to use his voice):D

OP
54_white

54_white

Mar 20, 2014
Is it normal for Amazons not to poop much? I asked vet and his said poop looked ok. But he hardly goes? He kinda bows up ans shakes his tail feathers. And it looks like a very small parrot stool.

RecoveryOne

Mar 26, 2014
Northern Indiana
Parrots
Specs - Yellow-Nape Amazon |
Gibson - Lutino Cockatiel |
Mercedes - White Face Cockatiel |
Nisha - Peach-front Conure
You know, I was wondering that as well. Specs does the same thing. Maybe once every hour and a half or so. So used to the smaller birds!

Most Reactions