Advice? Birds who were negected for 4 years.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
Holy cow! 80? I feel a bit better about the 68!

I am definitely going to ask the vet about nail clipping costs though! I don't think I can get them in until next weekend--Moyo almost had to wait two weeks. This is the only exotics vet in this part of the Chicago area (that I can find), so it is probably in high demand on the weekends.

My dad just agreed to fund Leo's vet treatment for the feather loss, so I can get him in. I don't really want help from my dad considering the situation, but I will take what I can get.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
They are going in on September 24th. :D Just set everything up.

Also, thank you for the nail clipping advice. I'm taking Beaker in too for just $15!

Last edited:

MichelleBeth

Aug 18, 2016
Hi, I'm so glad your Beaker and Leo are back with you. IMO I think birds can sense people's intent and certainly they read and pick up on emotions. Although they seemed overwhelmed at first they also know you and IMO I think they knew you were approaching them from a polar opposite spectrum of that of your father.

Often even healthy emotionally balanced birds can take a while to adjust to a new environment, it sounds like they're making great progress though. I'm so happy for you and them.

Here's a few things I've noticed with my birds:
-mildewy smell on the cage - get a scrubby at the dollar store and some vinegar. Mix so it's 1 part vinegar to 1 part hot water. Scrub each bar individually and make sure to get in the corner areas. Things I found that work good for corners and nooks: a toothbrush, paper towel rolled up so it forms a pointed end, que-tips.. Wash the bottom of hte cage with the solution too. I've heard differing opinions on if vinegar actually disinfects though. There are commercial disinfectants but be sure they are made for birds or recommended by other people for birds.

something called poop off helps get stuck on poo off easily. for perches and stuff that has poop stained, sand it off with sandpaper. You can disinfect perches and wood toys by baking them in the oven (be wary of if there's any metal, I never did with any that had metal.)

For veggies.. it can take a while to get them interested, esp if they aren't used to them or don't remember them. Try eating them in front of your birds. They're social and more likely to pick up on it being food if they see you eating the same thing. Just be sure you don't take a bite and then feed that to them, you have germs in your mouth that can be bad for them. :)

Nails - be sure if you attempt to trim them at home you have septic powder/quik stop.
You can pick that up at the local pet shop. If you accidentally cut the quick the bird can bleed to death. I'd let the vet show you how to do it.. which it looks like is the plan.

Here is an excellent article I found on parrot behavior (not that it sounds like you think they hate you.. just the title):
Your Pet Bird Doesn't Hate You

Hope they continue to do well!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
1. Start over and retrain them from scratch. Even if they already know it, a refresher course sets the tone...

2. New place, new rules. They accept re-patterning best when they don't feel threatened, and do feel like life has just improved.

3. Go at the bird's pace.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Just chiming in again to praise your efforts and determination. I feel happy just thinking about how much brighter those birds' futures are going to be.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
This week has pretty much been insanity due to work keeping me overtime, and last night they kept me an extra hour, so I left the city at 8:30 and was very sleep deprived.
I was brushing my teeth (like a zombie) and my boyfriend brought Leo to me. Leo happily stepped up on me, and Beaker flew over and came to me. They then started whistling at themselves in the mirror while I washed my face. Leo still doesn't want to be pet, and granted, I wasn't able to spend as much time with them last night as I do every night. There were are few moments I think he was considering asking for pets, but he never quite let me. My boyfriend kept trying to push me into going to sleep because I was at the point of crying at everything tired. But the birds made me forget how exhausted I was. There was a point he came back in the room and was like "do you want me to take the birds?" I probably looked at him like he was crazy. :D
My hedgehog is being treated for dietary issues (a food I was recommended for hedgies many times is apparently linked to intestinal issues -.-) and may have the beginnings of cancer, but we are going to hang in there. If he doesn't have cancer, we were basically told to expect it. So it's a mix of things. We may still have the spikeball around for at least 2 more years though. :) So basically, it has been a long week, but all is progressing well.

Also, when I clean the cage this weekend, I am definitely going to try vinegar! I use it for my hedgehog's liners for the smell. I should have thought to use it for the cage! Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your advice! :D

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Oh. Working overtime also made it easier to make a checkup for Beaker. It was too late for me to get them both in at once (and with Leo losing feathers, sooner is better than later for him, so I just kept his appointment), but Beaker has a checkup October 1st. Plus, apparently they can't clip his nails without examining him, so they are just going to go in one at a time.

Last edited:

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
This is such a sweet story that is playing out ♡ thank you for updating so much. You seem to have made leaps and bounds in gaining their trust back , and making them feel safe and loved. It shows what a sweet soul you must have. I'm glad you and all the babies are doing so much better.

CherylCali

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thank you. <3 You just made my day.

I love having them back. They are really what I look forward to coming home to every day, as well as Moyo and the amazing boyfriend. Their life has been pretty bumpy, but I'm hoping they are beginning to love their new home because a stable, happy home is what I've wanted to give them since high school. I used to want many birds, and my Freshman year of high school, we had a project to bring in pictures of what our lives would look like in 20 years. Everyone brought in pictures of mansions and sports cars; I brought in pictures of parrots, so obviously I had the right priorities. I've known I was a bird person since falling for Leo; they really took over my soul. I'm obviously not in the birb market for new flock members right now, but maybe in a year or two. We'll see. :D But I'm happy, and I hope they are too.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
This week has pretty much been insanity due to work keeping me overtime, and last night they kept me an extra hour, so I left the city at 8:30 and was very sleep deprived.
I was brushing my teeth (like a zombie) and my boyfriend brought Leo to me. Leo happily stepped up on me, and Beaker flew over and came to me. They then started whistling at themselves in the mirror while I washed my face. Leo still doesn't want to be pet, and granted, I wasn't able to spend as much time with them last night as I do every night. There were are few moments I think he was considering asking for pets, but he never quite let me. My boyfriend kept trying to push me into going to sleep because I was at the point of crying at everything tired. But the birds made me forget how exhausted I was. There was a point he came back in the room and was like "do you want me to take the birds?" I probably looked at him like he was crazy. :D
My hedgehog is being treated for dietary issues (a food I was recommended for hedgies many times is apparently linked to intestinal issues -.-) and may have the beginnings of cancer, but we are going to hang in there. If he doesn't have cancer, we were basically told to expect it. So it's a mix of things. We may still have the spikeball around for at least 2 more years though. :) So basically, it has been a long week, but all is progressing well.

Also, when I clean the cage this weekend, I am definitely going to try vinegar! I use it for my hedgehog's liners for the smell. I should have thought to use it for the cage! Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your advice! :D

Firstly a steamer is great for cleaning and disinfecting cages if you have one etc?

Secondly re the hedgies which food is that as I buy food (wildlife approved) and feed our local population? Sorry to deviate this thread? :)

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
We do not have a steamer unfortunately. :( But it is a good thought and I will keep my eye out for a well priced one.

I'm not sure about wild hedgies. I noticed you're from the UK, and I think the European hedgie is very different from the African Pygmy, which are usually the pet ones. Pet hedgehogs are normally fed cat food, a variety of snacks (though hedgehogs are notoriously picky), and insects. But in case this helps--the food to not feed them is Solid Gold brand cat food. So I think your wild hogs should be okay. :D (And it is seriously awesome you're helping the wild hedgies.)

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
They are also tearing at their tearpaper. I noticed it was torn up this morning and I asked my boyfriend about it, and he goes "yeah? They go at it all the time." I guess that's what happens when you are working all day! They are getting a new toy this weekend (I want to try getting them to forage, so I might just do an ice cube tray with little treats)! Leo is also taking more of a liking to my boyfriend. I don't think Andre has realized he is being chosen yet. :D
I also thought I would add some pictures. :)

This is Leo on his box.

This is Beaker and me last night. :D

Leo before the move.

My favorite Beaker picture (he's seriously a model. I have a lot of beautiful Beaker photos. Leo moves too much!)

Annnd here's a Moyo for good measure. :D (I am aware an eye is missing. He lost is as a baby before I adopted him. He's my little pirate)

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I tried looking for a better picture of Leo and I found this gem from a few years ago. :jumping40 I had just gotten my first smart phone, and I'm a giant Doctor Who fan. Don't judge me. :D

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I buy special food for the wild hedgies - meaty biscuits and a cereal based with crunchy insects (YUM) and banana chips - it goes fairly quick and had no babies roaming about in the day this year so all good. They need to fatten for hibernation later in the year.

Make sure the steamer is up to the job you need it for as they differ.

Love the pics - is Beaker smiling? Boyfriend, chosen one ha ha, surprise!

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I thought I was going to have to wait until January to get a new cage for them, but because I found out I get paid $27/hour overtime this week, I think I might be able to pull it off next weekend. (And there is a bird fair nearby!)
But does anyone have any recommendations?

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Saturday and Sunday proved to be hectic. Saturday, my friend from college came to Chicago for a concert, so she is staying with us, and we had our apartmentwarming party. So Saturday, I was not able to take the birds out due to kids running around, and Andre and me being in and out even when the party was not going on. I still spoke to them and snuck them a couple party snacks, but by the time we got home from picking our friend up from her concert, it was 10 PM and we were both too exhausted.

Sunday they got extra time out, but they were holding grudges and didn't want too much to do with me. Getting them back in the cage for bed was chaos. It usually is, but it was a little more chaotic this time around. I don't think they regressed, but they definitely were a little miffed about Saturday. Our schedule is going back to normal today, so they will hopefully be better tonight. Days like Saturday don't normally happen, but I don't think they were ready for a break in the routine, so I am going to try to work with them tonight. Last night, I really just let them do their thing and hung out nearby.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
As an addition: Leo and Beaks inspired me to help other parrots who were unlucky, and ended up abandoned as a result. So I am waiting to hear back from the parrot shelter near us for volunteering on some weekends.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Sundays we leave for church from 9 am to about 4 pm (my husband is a pastor) Early Bird does NOT approve, and she will be very happy to see my husband, I'm learning to count on a bite and the cold shoulder when she sees me. To add to her frustration we had 5 of the grandbabies over which meant more cage time so she was rather disgusted with yesterdays events.

This morning though all is well and forgiven. Hopefully your babies will bounce back today.

Always thanks for the update.

CherylCali

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker bit me twice when I was trying to put him into the cage last night. x-x Leo went in fine. I'm not completely sure what to do when they bite yet. I was shocked because Beaker never bit me before so I said "ow" and pulled my hand away as a reflex. Should I not do that again if it happens? Should I grin and bear it and act like it does nothing so he thinks it won't work? We had to take their box away because it was poop covered, so they need a new box. I think that was part of it.

But on a brighter note, my boyfriend let the birds out while I was at work, and was watching Netflix with them around. He fell asleep and then woke up with both of them sitting on him. :D (By some miracle, they didn't poop on him either.)

It has been a looong week. His car broke down after my doctor's appointment and I wasn't able to make it to work yesterday (though my health issues are officially at an end and I don't have anything chronic). But we've been working with them as normal. I began converting them to pellets, and I'm still trying to get them interested in fruits and veggies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts