Advice? Birds who were negected for 4 years.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
Other question: The pellets I got were Zupreem. I'm iffy about the added colors, so I was wondering if anyone else has experience with it? I thought the color might make it more appealing to them to begin them on pellets, but I may want to transfer them again once they adjust whenever that is.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Leo went to the vet Saturday. We were told he was definitely plucking and not losing feathers (as I suspected actually, but my mom kept telling me he was losing them). He was taken in for blood work since the vet suspected his food may not be clearing out of him all the way and that may be why he is plucking his chest like he is. Beaker goes next weekend, and I don't think he has any health issues (hoping. Leo's vet bill got expensive and completely wiped us out. My dad helped, but that only went so far.)

The birds did join us for dinner that same night. Beaker seems to have taken up flying away from us as a hobby, even if it is very clear he isn't going in the cage. When he does this, I walk away and don't say anything so he knows that behavior won't get him attention. I realized he was doing it for attention when I walked out of the room after being exhausted of chasing him, and he started squaking like "come back! We were having fun!" So I think Beaker trusts us, but just has some behavioral issues.

I'm trying to get them to forage and going to gradually switch them to pellets still. The vet gave m some extra ideas to trick them into eating pellets. It will take some work, but I'm obviously willing to do it. :)

Last edited:

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
So many things are happening for you, I'm sorry about the car breaking down. I hope it was able to be fixed.

If you look at some threads with biting in behavioral issues you'll see some great advice. I know we cant be loud and make it exciting for them, but ignoring it and pretending it didn't happen I feel is the wrong thing to do. They know good and well that they've bit us and that it hurts. I tell Earlybird a stern no. Or stop it which was her first word, lol. They're so smart I feel like they can learn what no means very easily. She's not done anything so far that I have to do a walk away or time out. I will turn my back to her (that is their behavior for our actions they don't like) and that will usually turn her around to wanting interaction.

I think with the fruity Zupreem, it's a decent pellet, and just my opinion if they will eat it then it's great, a huge improvement toward better health.

Hopefully the pellet and less stressful home will assist with the plucking. I think it will. I think you're also doing an outstanding job of going above and beyond to change their life and have healing for all of you. Your love and commitment are amazing.

CherylCali

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
So the long couple of weeks continues. My boyfriend took me to the ER for an anxiety/PTSD related breakdown (this basically confirmed what my school psychiatrist suspected before I graduated) and I was released, but I am making arrangements to get the help I need. I'm still under my dad's insurance, making it really difficult to be treated for PTSD, but I'm working to officially get out of his control as soon as the government begins subsidizing health insurance on November 1st.

But it was like the birds knew something was wrong. Beaker, the next day, had about an hour where he was extremely cuddly and refused to leave my shoulder. My boyfriend reached for him and Beaker was like "nope. Staying here." And, last night, Leo finally let me pet him. I really did almost cry over it, but it was really sweet. I was playing Peekaboo with Beaker in the mirror (he loved it so much that I was doing it for about 45 minutes), and suddenly Leo put his head down and started softly chirping like he used to.

They still aren't going for the pellets, and I haven't had the time to work with them on it for the last couple of days, so I am going to start trying more tomorrow.

Oh, and also. Leo's blood tests came back normal. So we have a healthy bird who plucks, but we can deal with that. :)

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I also decided to start some therapy by beginning volunteering at the nearby bird shelter this weekend. They didn't get back to me, so I just called.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Im so thankful Leo's blood tests came back great. They are so sweet and intuitive when we're hurting. Healing is a process. I've been through some trauma in my life as well. I ended up once the actual event had passed, living in terror. Having nightmares, auditory and visual hallucinations. I think ptsd, I never got help. Now it's been about a decade since the event (s) . I dont say this in any way to diminish what you've been and are going through, but to give you hope. There is healing and a full recovery is possible. I wild even say a life better than you ever dreamed. I think when we're in imminent danger we're just in survival mode. It seems like once we're in a safe place it really hits us. Whether we like it or not our brain starts processing the things we couldn't deal with at the time. Even when its over, that was the only thing we knew and it can seem like we are really lost. Or don't even know what to do without that constant fear and pressure. You will heal. I'll be praying for you with great love in my heart.

CherylCali

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Thank you so much. <3 <3 And really, having those symptoms sound horrifying. I am really really happy you recovered. I'm starting treatment this week, so it will be hard at first, but I have hope. :)

Beaks and Leo are still doing great. Leo hasn't let me pet him since last time, but he is much more willing to get on my finger. :) I think life is much better for them. Beaker is still a sassmonster, but I think that is just him and I have to work with it.

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Just a thought if they're resisting the pellets, have you tried sprinkling a tiny bit of fruit juice on them? its good to hear you and the birdies are recovering. One step at a time right?

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I have not! That is a great idea. My vet said I should try giving it to them with morning oatmeal so I am willing to try anything right now.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
One question: Is orange juice safe? I've heard sketchy things about oranges, but we have orange juice in the fridge now that I could use.

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand as long as it's 100% natural juice, it's fine. With acidy juices like orange, I imagine moderation is the key. It's bad for people in large doses too. Just be sure to balance it with everything else and use it as a kickstart. :U

I believe Apple would be safer tbh, or some mango nectar.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Mango nectar sounds good. Totally not stealing a few glasses for myself though. ;) I can possibly get some when I get off work. I normally don't drink too much fruit juice, and usually use orange in salad dressing, so it is usually just what I have around.

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Just make sure it's 100% natural and no added sugar. The last thing you need is a sugar rush tiel.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Lol. That could be fun though! (jk. For the sake of the world, I think keeping Leo, the spaz, on low sugar would be best.)

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
So I came home tonight, and Leo wanted to be pet. :) Beaker got jealous, as Beaker does. Another thing to work on. But new problem: petting 2 birds at once.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I came home to find that my hedgehog had died while I was at work. I'm completely heartbroken right now. The birds were actually scared of me when I finally let them out because I had been wailing so loudly and was inconsolable for about an hour. Beaker is finally sitting on my shoulder and giving me a ton of cuddles, and he was chirpy with me. Leo is still standing back, but it is a sad night. I miss him so much already.

Most Reactions

Latest posts