An update on Goofy

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I know some may not agree, but we have decided to let him go. We spoke with our vet at length, and he has consulted with several other vets as well. If Goofy was showing any response at all, even if it was simply not getting worse, to the medications and treatments (including two hospitalizations) he's received in the last two weeks, it might be different. But every day he is getting worse. He is in pain. Force feeding him is brutal on everybody, most of all Goofy. It would be selfish of us to continue as we are with him in the state he is in. I have been trying to be positive this whole time, looking at small things to cling to hope, but in reality, Goofy is miserable. Because he is so very loved, it is time to let go. We are both devastated, but MrC more so, and he made the final call. I wish it could be different, but realistically, we believe this is the kindest thing we can do for Goofy.

I am so sorry to hear Goofy's diagnosis. It is like a dagger to any parront and I understand your decision, while heart-rending is born of compassion.

One thought, though.... Is it in the realm of possibility to use psychotropic drugs to ease his discomfort with the feedings and meds? I had a female B&G who had a hard recovery from vent surgery. She was wild-caught but tolerant in the absence of touch. Vet prescribed Haldol during the intensive aftercare and her mood change was jaw-dropping. T-Bird enjoyed being handled, cuddled, and accepted oral/topical meds. This of course was relatively short-term, ie 30 days. Today, there may be modern drugs equally effective with longer efficacy and fewer side effects. I do understand there are ethical considerations, food for thought.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I completely understand - no animal should be forced to live in pain when there is no chance of getting well again.
No fun to start the hollidays this way, but you can give your beloved bird peace, and since that is all you still can do for him: let him fly free and know you all love each other no matter what.

I have been there, done that and it still hurts-- so you have my fullest sympathy.

<just off to get some tissues, I'll bring more ...>

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I am so sorry for Goofy's pain, and yours also. None of us can tell you what to do when you know in your heart what is best for him. No animal deserves to suffer, especially a much loved one. May you and Goofy have peace in knowing you did everything you possibly could to save him. Remember, we all feel for you and are here for you. I am crying my eyes out while typing this. Goofy will always live on in your hearts. Good luck.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I'm so very sorry you're having to make this decision. I know that you are only thinking of Goofy, and that's what matters...I might not make the same decision as you at this point, only because he's not yet having any CNS or neurological symptoms (the first sign of that and I would immediately make the same choice), but you need to do what you feel is right for your family member...and I can't see him either...We're all here for you...

Morty

Sep 20, 2018
New York
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Pizza Roll), Jenday Conure (Woody)
The kindest decisions are always the hardest. I've had to PTS a few of my pets that came down to spend X amount of time and money trying something that might not work or just prolong suffering, or PTS. I try and take a very factual approach when faced with these decisions.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
We tried to give him pain meds this morning. He just let it dribble out of his beak. He won't swallow anything. I really did try to latch onto anything to justify continuing trying to treat him, but it is time. He is tired. He is in pain. We are trying to give him the best morning possible. And still, if he showed any little sign that he could improve, we'd change our minds. But it would be selfish, to prolong his suffering.

Because his case has been strange from the beginning, our vet asked if we would consent to sending his body to the state lab at his expense, for a complete necropsy, to see if we can find something subtle that would have given us a clue earlier, and possible enabled us to save his life, and quality of life, for a few more years. We have decided to allow it. If in death Goofy can save the lives and improve the quality of life for other parrots, then his death is not in vain. Our appointment is at 1pm. We have an hour and a half left with him.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am holding all of you in my heart.
You are doing it right, all of it, right.
You're seeing ol' Goof out in love. I hope I can do it all as well when the Rb's turn comes, as I guess I hope it does. I promised him I'd outlive him and see him out right, just as you're doing for Goofy.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think you knew in your heart of hearts that it would come to this but it doesn’t make it any easier. Goofy was well loved and cared for by you and that’s all any of us can ask for. Give him a kiss for me!

Last edited:

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Give him a little kiss for all of us. We all are in pain and we never even met the poor little guy. May everything be peaceful for him and let him have a great time in birdy heaven.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You are doing the best for him, and the best for future birds in need by donating his body to science..so sorry for your pain and loss... I'm fighting tears knowing your love

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
He was ready to go. His heart rate and blood pressure plunged as soon as we put the gas mask on him. We debated just letting him fade off that way, but we decided to just make it as quick and painless as possible.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Beatrice, I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you, I know how hard it is even when we know it is the most kind and loving choice that we can make for them.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Ohhh sweet Goof, we hold you and your family in our hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am heartbroken for you and MrC. My deepest condolences for your loss of Goofy. You did everything possible, more than most.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Fly free and high Goofy.

You were loved so much and an amazing bird.

To your family, prayers, love and my condolences. Nothing can ever prepare you for these situations. Be comforted by the love and great times you had together.

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
I imagine Goofy flying up there with all of the other birdies that have passed. Rest in peace little Goofy. May your passing provide others with knowledge so that they won't have to endure what you did. RIP Goofy.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I thought of you and Goof and MrC a lot, last night and this morning.

MikeD91

Oct 10, 2018
Media
Conneaut Lake, Pa
Parrots
Bill, Yellow Naped
Amazon.
Banker, Muloccan Cockattoo
I'm very sorry that this happened to your friend and your family. You did the right thing. Just knowing he is not suffering is good thing. Knowing your hart is broken is hard. I hope you find some comfort in something cause you sure deserve it after going through what you did.

Most Reactions