Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Sharon,looks like theres a few that could stand to have the points taken off, other than that the lengths look pretty good :)

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Not to hijack... but how do you know if they are too long?

I've never needed to trim any of my birds. They have always had perches and toys that helped keep their nails and beaks short. It seems like with the new diet, their beaks are growing quicker, and so are their nails. How do I know when they need to be trimmed?

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Rrrma, I'm finding the same thing. When Fred came, he never had a nail trim....ever. The previous owners said he clipped his nails himself...and I did notice he chewed his nails in the beginning. I've done some major adjusting to his diet...and his nails are a lot sharper than they were. His perches came with him so it's not that...Geez, that means I have to towel him, and clip the tops...Oh Joy, Oh Bliss!!!:eek:

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Can't we just make them run laps on the driveway? :p kidding!

I wouldn't even know how to trim them, blah

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
In a perfect world, I could harness Fred and try the laps...he's in a very bad mood these last two days, so no harness for Fred, I'm afraid!

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
They look pretty good to me, maybe just a tidy up. My general rule for Eddie is if I end up with cuts all over my arm after handling him, its time for a trim, lol

I have heard of people teaching their birds to have the tips of nails trimmed while sitting on a perch. Eddie lets me pick up his feet, so I might be able to do it that way. Although, I'm not sure if its entirely safe, what if you cut too short and he starts flying around, blood rushing out?:15: Toweling is probably safest

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
um... so odd thing. Apparently Rosie decided to beat me to it, or I have a mystical nail trimming fairy in my house... lol! I went to look at Rosie's nails just now and they were shorter and looked as if they had been snipped! I guess she decided they needed a trim and did it herself? How weird!

etse20

Jun 1, 2010
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel & Eclectus
Willie let me trim his while standing on a perch, though only one or two at a time....

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
um... so odd thing. Apparently Rosie decided to beat me to it, or I have a mystical nail trimming fairy in my house... lol! I went to look at Rosie's nails just now and they were shorter and looked as if they had been snipped! I guess she decided they needed a trim and did it herself? How weird!

So, could you send that nail trimming fairy to my house! LOL! Etse, I can't imagine Fred letting me do that yet...it would be nice though!

Most Reactions