Asking for prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles and I said you caring thoughts and hopes for a happy ending.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hi Terry,

Hoping all is well with Phoe and it's not serious.
Sending my love & prayers!! 🙏🏻
:heart: xoxox :heart:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sending healing hugs and love you alls way, Terry! We’re all with you here!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Bumping this.
It's only about 7:30 p.m., Terry's time, so it may still be a while before we hear something.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
I jumped to the last page to see how things are..

Didn't see Terry's post on the results.. went back to read all pages.

**PRAYS HARD**

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Terry, my prayers are going out to you and little Phoe! I can just imagine how you’ve got to be feeling. I am so sorry! I know how close you are to this little one. Thank God there was another vet you were referred to. Will look for update... praying Phoe pulls through! Please!!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We are finally back from the vet, but I don't know any more than before we went.
The whole experience at this vet made me uncomfortable.
As soon as we got there they had me bring Phoe back to an examining table that was in the middle of a room with dogs & cats in cages against the walls. I got Phoe out and the vet looked at him, then turned him on his back and listened to his chest. Phoe was really stressed because so much was going on around us, and the vet said he may have a respiratory infection since he was breathing hard. As soon as she let Phoe stand up straight again, he calmed down & stopped breathing hard.

She said she wanted to get some bloodwork, I asked if she was running a full set of labs and she said yes. I asked if she was also going to do a gram stain, and she said she didn't think it was necessary. I said I would like to have one done, and she again said it wasn't necessary.

She did want to do X-rays, and I was fine with that until she said she would need to put him under general anesthesia and he may have to stay for several hours to wake up.
I have never had a bird put under a general for X-rays, but that was the only way she wanted to do it. My regular vet just gives a small dose of a sedative to relax them, but they aren't actually unconscious.
At first I said yes, but the more I thought about it the more worried I got...especially since they stressed to me that he may not wake up, that it is not uncommon for them to pass from the anesthesia. When they brought me the paperwork and I was supposed to initial 4 places that I understood that he may not wake up, that did it for me.
I told them that I was going to wait until tomorrow for X-rays at my regular vet but for them to go ahead with the bloodwork.

After his blood work was taken, they weighed him, and he is a couple of grams lighter than usual but he varies a couple of grams depending on the time of day anyway.
She then said the lab will hopefully have the labs back on Saturday, but it may be Monday. In the meantime, she gave me Doxycycline for him, even though we have no diagnosis.
I did not give him any meds this evening, I am calling my vet at 8:30 when she first gets there to talk to her about the meds, the X-rays and a gram stain. His labs will be going straight to her anyway.

He has not lost his appetite, he ate some Nutriberries on the way home and ran straight to his food and water when I put him back in his cage. He is still weak, and not himself, but I am praying my usual vet will be of more help.

I want to thank all of y'all for your wonderful words of encouragement, they really have helped. I was a mess today, and it really helped having everyone's support. I will update after I speak to my vet in the morning.
Still asking for healing wishes and or prayers for my baby.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Terry, I am all tensed up practically biting my nails just reading that! Ugh, why do things always happen when the doctor is not in! Thank God she is in tomorrow, and it is not Sunday or holiday.

I think you made a good decision about the x-ray! I’ve never heard of them not waking up for several hours?! They’re always brought back immediately after, and wide awake.

I’m happy to hear Phoe is eating! You know that it’s good news when they have an appetite. Straight to his food and water, and even ate in the car.. that’s great.

I’m so glad you can talk to your regular vet soon! Still praying. I know it’s hard not to worry.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Still keeping the line upstairs open...
I hope your regular CAV can help you.
Ugh...that other one was no fun (or much good if I read it right).
Glad to read Poe is not any worse and actually seems a bit better.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Terry, raced through the posts hoping Phoe is better and with clarity of diagnosis. You used superb judgement against full sedation for X-Ray. Hope you are able to see the regular vet Friday and have a better resolution. Sending huge avian hugs to Phoe, you, and Reg.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
I deeply hope Phoe will get better very soon!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Phoe, baby boy, you keep eating.

That whole experience just turned my stomach. Oh, Phoe.

But you know what, Terry, as long as he is with you, I know HE KNOWS you're there and with him and watching out for him, no matter how scared or sick he gets, YOU'RE THERE. As long as you're with him, I know *I* have some comfort.

Okay, waiting now, waiting, along with everybody.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Keeping little Phoe in my thoughts. Hope your regular vet can quickly diagnose and treat him.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Terry, we're all waiting for good news this morning, sending hope, prayers, hugs and positive thoughts. Hoping to hear Phoe is feeling much better this morning. You took action immediately in spite of not being able to locate an Av-Vet in an emergency. I'm so glad you said no to the anesthesia and x-ray. I hope you can get Phoe a visit with your vet this morning, hoping for very good news. Hugs and lots of love to you, Phoe and Reg.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Great-call Terry, they should NEVER put a bird under "general" anesthesia for an x-ray, that's the most ridiculous and irresponsible thing I've ever heard...They should use either short-acting Iso gas, or a short-acting sedative that is usually given nasally. Both of these burn-off in a matter of minutes and the bird is awake, alert, and normal within literally minutes of it being given to them...So thank god you made the right call, because general anesthesia is a surgery-only thing with birds...

And no fecal/gram-stain? And antibiotics for no reason? Really? And Doxy is a nasty antibiotic for them to take, I'm assuming they were thinking Chlamydia if they gave him Doxy, but with no respiratory symptoms, no conjunctivitis, etc., I doubt it. It's possible, but I wouldn't give him the Doxy either until you get a positive culture...That's the first and most-basic test they should run whenever a bird is ill...Uhg...At least they got blood drawn and sent-out so you'll have the results sooner than you would have...Hopefully you can get him to your regular CAV for the X-Ray and fecal and get some answers...

I hope they are able to find an explanation, as I've seen this a few times where it was a sudden seizure out of nowhere, and they end-up calling it "ideopathic" meaning they have no idea why it happened, and it may or may not happen ever again. That's frustrating...But if he's eating and alert, then that's an excellent sign...Keep us posted...

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Aw, Terr. Just seeing all this. Sending hugs your and Phoe's way, and praying hard for his full recovery.

You absolutely made the right call every single step of the way on this. The whole "hours for recovery" thing, as well as the emphasis on how common it is for birds not to wake from anesthetic would've done it for me as well. Not to mention that the insistence on not doing a gram stain immediately calls the vet's judgement into question, IMO.

I know how much you love little Phoe, and that he was comforted by that love and your steadfast presence by his side. Anxiously awaiting some news, my friend.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Emergency Avian Care opens one up to Vets that 'see' birds. Your thinking during this emergency sever you well! Warm Amazon Feather Hugs dear friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts