Asking for prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Emergency Avian Care opens one up to Vets that 'see' birds. Your thinking during this emergency sever you well! Warm Amazon Feather Hugs dear friend.

Truth...I have a 24/7 Animal Hospital 10 minutes from my house, and they have my own CAV on-call, but if he's not available it's all just general vets who "see" all types of animals but specialize in none...And with birds and reptiles specifically, they are so unique in their anatomy and physiology that you cannot treat them like a dog or a cat, and that's usually what happens...

Hoping for a positive update...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Terry asked me to let Phoe's wonderful support group know that Phoe is eating this morning. Terry is still waiting for a call from her vet. She has already had the paperwork transferred from the vet who saw Phoe yesterday. Hopefully she can get him an appointment with his regular vet this morning. Thank you all for the continued prayers and support.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Oh no! So awful that this is happening. I also agree that you made the right call. My CAV once told me he avoids doing Xrays on birds unless he's certain it's criticality needed. He said often the stress and radiation and MILD SEDATIVE are more of a risk than is worth it. He certainly didn't say anything about anaesthesia, that sounds totally wrong.

I'm sending all my love and hopes and prayers for a quick and full recovery.

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
I hope its an early sign of things turning the right direction.... Keep my fingers crossed.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The results were sent to my vet, and it isn't good. Phoe has kidney disease.
We have a plan of action to try to fix multiple levels of things that are either too high/too low in his blood, and he is going to see my vet on the 27th. She is out of town until then because of the holidays.
He is not going to get the Doxy since he does not have an infection, and we decided that rather than to bring him out into the cold today to see her that it is better to try to get some of these things in order first to keep from stressing him more than necessary.
She said she has not had a bird with UA levels this high, but does have a lovie with levels in the 1400's that is now down to the 700's and is doing okay.
We have to raise his protein a bit, and his calcium, and make sure he stays well hydrated. She is ordering him a special food made by Harrison's that is geared toward renal disease, but since it is coming from the states won't be here for at least a week.
Here are his labs, I appreciate any experience anyone has with this.
I am devastated. He is the best eater we have, I just don't understand. His levels were fine at his last visit.

LwkCa7Z.png

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Despite the results it is somewhat comforting to have hard data needed to formulate a treatment plan. Have no experience with similar labs, but hope your vet will consult with colleagues to get a range of opinion.

Terry, I cannot recall if Phoe is hand-tame and willing to take special foods/liquids by mouth?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, at least you know and can begin targeting changes that will help.

The old fashion Tums (the basic, all white tablets) work well to regain calcium levels. Crush the tablets and sprinkle it on the dry foods and wet foods. No need to get crazy with volume as it doesn't require very much to have an effect.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
That Uric Acid level is amazingly high...did she say anything to you about the possibility of Visceral Gout? Every time I've seen a UA level that high in a bird it wasn't actually kidney disease, but rather Gout (Visceral)...The reason I bring this up is regardless of whether it is Gout or not, if not it's obviously "kidney disease" as a general term, but increasing the amount of protein in his diet would typically be the wrong thing to do, as his kidneys may not be able to handle it, and if it is Gout, dietary protein will cause his UA to elevate higher and higher...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Lacking any medical knowledge, I'll just throw all my energy into hope and prayers and love. You won't leave my heart, little Phoe. Neither will you, Terry, or Reg.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so sorry to hear Phoe has kidney issues:( I can completely sympathize with how your feeling right now, getting a shock diagnosis like that out of the blue when you *think* your bird is healthy and eating right etc...

I would request/demand the avian vet do an X-ray.The extent of Kiwi's kidney issues only came to light after his X-ray when the vet saw just how inflamed the kidney truly was. A good CAV shouldn't need to sedate or give and sedative at all to X-ray a bird. I heard Kiwi vocalize his displeasure all the way in the exam room with the door shut when the vet and her assistant took him off to be x-rayed but they did so by simply holding him down like a trained professional should be able to do and it was done and over quickly without medication of any kind. While it sounds as though Pho's kidney troubles are stemming from a different source than Kiwi's be sure to keep him on a bland diet. There was quite a lot of information in this thread discussing/postulating on what a bird should/shouldn't eat on a renal diet:
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/75180-healthy-foods-kidneys.html

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I’m so sorry Terry. I’m hoping and praying that Phoe will be an exceptional patient for you & Reg and hopefully the renal disease can be reversed. Continued prayers 🙏🏻 My friend. 💗

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
He is dehydrated, that will slightly effect the kidney values, not to the level shown in blood work, but if you can get him drinking it will help some... Also potassium off usually goes with not eating well. High kidney values lead to neurological issues, and in mammals high kidney values make you nauseous. I would ask if there is meds they would/ can give for nausea, because you certainly can't ask your bird if he is nauseous. And nausea will lead to not eating and drinking... Also ask vet what they are thinking that us leading to kidney failure? Sometimes a prolonged infection will lead to a normal WBC, but would have bands and toxic changes which they didn't see .. is this an elderly bird? Did the burd have weight loss? Even though vet is out, can you go to the office for subcutanious fluids? That is easy for knowledgeable techs to give, and will really help the bird feel better, abd help the kidney, also depending on the birds personality and your comfort level Subcutaneous fluids are something's they can train you to do. I would strongly urge you to ask vet if you can go in for SQ fluids... I am hoping things improve, and continue to offer prayers. I also suggeste to order a Sweeter Heater from Amazon, it is a radiant heat panal that you hang outside the cage, is bird safe, there is no light, it's just radiant heat. Xtra heat is always good for sick birds...

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
(Laura: Great idea - it is not something I've ever seen done here / exept with a dehydrated hamster)

Terry: I hope your vet will know what to do ... still sending every possible positive thought I can find.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Good evening, the troops in Aussieland are also on standby ...

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Parrot lovers from Poland also still keep fingers crossed for Phoe getting well soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts