b+g talking...?

newb

Oct 3, 2012
Any ideas why when im in the room my B+G wont say a word but as soon as im out the room she is a right chatterbox? X

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Your macaw is probably trying to get you to come back in the room. Many parrots do this, so their owners set up baby monitors to hear what they are saying. If she starts to annoy you with all that noise, simply calling or whistling to her will sooth her, insuring that you, her flock member, is all right and safe.

OP
N

newb

Oct 3, 2012
Scooby is defo a closet talker as soon as I leave room all i hear is "hello" "come on then" "good girl" all repeated 100x over :) then as soon as im in room nothing but squalking! Hehe does make me giggle tho

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
My girl talks all the time, (maybe it is a girl thing?). Every night when we sit down to eat, she is our entertainment. She goes through everything she knows and sometimes throws in some new stuff. Finally, she will finish with her version of "Bird bird bird, bird is the word" about 25 times. She is in a central location, so she can see into the kitchen, living room and dining room. The only place she can't see is upstairs. The kids thought it would be funny to teach her that when I flush the upstairs toilet she should say "Mom's done!" so she does that now too.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Your bird is doing what most bird do 'closet talking'

Mishka, my AG, spoke in the closet for about 7 weeks. I recorded him, knowing exactly what he was able to say. I then proceeded to add more words with the words he was saying.

He talks to me from inside his cage, on his playpen, play stand or his potty.
We train for an hour each night, him on my lap, sitting face to face (beak to nose)
Me chatting away, teaching him new words.
Only recently, about 3 weeks ago, he has opened up completely, repeating the words I am saying to me, face to beak.

I reckon they are shy in the beginning and are practicing.

The more a bird matures and gains confidence, only then will they will begin to open up and talk openly.

That is just my opinion....

OP
N

newb

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks guys I guess scooby ain't the only one that's shy then :) x

Most Reactions

Latest posts