Bad Breath?

MariaJeff

Nov 2, 2017
Hi everyone!!!I am new to this forum, so let me do a quick introduction. I am not new to the world of parrots and had: lovebirds, cockatiels and currently an eclectus.

Anyways I have got a female eclectus. She is pretty young and was recently diagnosed with avian gastric yeat. Currently, she is on Amphoterecin-b, thus got her appetite back on track. Today I noticed that she had really bad breath. Can this be from her yeast infection or something else? She has a certified avian vet if it is something to be concerned about. By the way, her name is Frigga and doesn't show any other symptoms besides an occasional sneeze.

I would appreciate any feedback and will be doing updates.:D

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
could very well be from the yeast infection. Maybe call the vet and ask if they think it is related, no harm in giving a phone call

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
If the smell isn't gone after meds are finished, I would go back for gram stain/cultures

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'd contact the vet since she does have diagnosed yeast infection and is on medications. It could be from the yeast but it could also be a side effect from the anti fungal medication. Also, what has she been eating? I notice my bird gets (mildly) bad breath after eating cruciferous vegetables. Not like rotting garbage bad, just a bit more odiferous than normal.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I would think the yeast is a big part of it, but I would be concerned with food not moving properly through the crop, and essentially fermenting in there. I would definitely give the vet a call and let him know what's going on, just to be on the safe side and see if there's anything else you could be doing.

Most Reactions