Bed/Happy Hut for female caique?

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
Hi guys!

I recently acquired an 8 yo female BH caique and I was wondering if it would be OK to give her a happy hut or similar bed.

I have one for my MALE sun conure, but I am concerned about egg laying and stuff. It's enough that Onyx ( the caique ) usually greets me by showing me that she is perfectly willing to regurgitate for me.

But I was wondering if she would really like a bed as when I have her out she dives into my hair or shirt or neck and falls asleep laying on her side and/or belly. I know my sun conure LOVES his hut, and he sleeps in there every-which way. My lovie also has one, but then again, they are both males. I would never even think to give my cockatiel one as she has layed eggs before (even never having one.). I think I used to try and give them to my sennie, but she just ATE them, instead of sleeping in them. LOL

Would it just be better to perhaps give her a platform in a top corner of her cage? I could even make a "sock" of sorts out of fleece to make it more cuddly.

Thoughts?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I never recommend happy huts or anything similar, they are one of the most dangerous toys and have killed many parrots.

A platform perch would be a excellent alternative.

OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
I'm not posting to dispute the perceived safety or not of happy huts, or argue their pro's, con's or uses, but more speaking about somewhat enclosed spaces and the effects on hormones/egg laying.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ive never tried a happy hut before ,But I know at night they like to cuddle up against a softer toy to sleep . They seem to like soft things . You will have to try and see with her .

OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Any enclosed area may induce hormones and breeding behavior. My personal opinion is that parrots shouldn't be given any dark place to be in(except maybe when you have them out playing one on one) unless they are are breeding pair.

Most Reactions

Latest posts