Been a while Have some questions

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
Hi everyone been a couple months since i was on here. Got my rescue a b&g macaw named marco. When i got him i was able to pet him a little before he would nip or make for my hand with his beak. Never bitten me though mostly threats to. Since then Im able to pet his head and back and sometimes his wings if im careful. Sometimes he'll lean his head down for a pat so some good signs! I can also hand feed him as well.

We just moved to a new home so hes gotta get readjusted but for the most part at the old house he stayed in his cage and then explored a little more on the top and even on the window sill.

Now his nails need some filing and I was told using a sanding stone on a uh...forgetting the name the handheld rotary tool...whats is called. I forget but using that to file/sand his nails down works best. He doesnt like my hand or perch im holding near his lower body so i have to wrap him in a towel to move him. I plan to do this to trim his nails. he seems to get very overwhelmed when i do move him though and im sure filing his nails isnt gonna be to great for him.

Any suggestions on getting him comfortable enough to step and/or filing his nails?

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
are you thinking of a dremmel? I have one for my dogs and they hate it, I think I'm going to try a concrete type perch and hope that keeps them filed after the vet trims them. I have had luck cutting them when he is hanging out on the cage bars, but i can only do 1 or 2 a day...

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
YES thats it lol. Ill have to invest in a concrete perch maybe if he doesnt get used to it.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
If all else fails take him to the vet - I find the vet never minds being the troll when it comes to things like that - lol. You can simply step outside and its done in 5 minutes - lol! I find that if I do it myself using towel and a friend to help my bird gets more stressed that visiting my local vet - although I havent been able to get to him and did it myself. Rosie did ignore me for a day and have learnt best to leave it to the vet :)

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
What does your vet charge for something like that?

Also since ive moved to my new place the door frame is smaller. I cannot get my birds cage through the door. I built the cage its 6ft tall in a hexagon shape with one width skinny enough to fit through a door way, but these older houses have smaller doors apparently.

So I have to get a new cage. I see some on ebay that seem good quality but worried about size. how tall should the inside dimension be? I think I may just build a new one but would like to not have to do any of the work.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
What does your vet charge for something like that?

Also since ive moved to my new place the door frame is smaller. I cannot get my birds cage through the door. I built the cage its 6ft tall in a hexagon shape with one width skinny enough to fit through a door way, but these older houses have smaller doors apparently.

So I have to get a new cage. I see some on ebay that seem good quality but worried about size. how tall should the inside dimension be? I think I may just build a new one but would like to not have to do any of the work.

Please forgive me but I have just acquired a serious case of the giggles when I visioned you reaching the door with your cage and realising its not going to go through. Please dont be offended that Im rolling with laughter but it just tickled my funny bone. What bird do you have? How long does it spend in the cage? The bird should be able to spread its wings with ease but I alsways add on stax more so that it can jump from perch to perch and play. I own a lovebird so getting a rather large cage for her is easier than the bigger birds. Im not sure if it applies to all birds but my cage is longer than higher so Rosie can pop from perch to perch across which gives her more freedom to move. Like I said, she is very small so its easier.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
The best thing to do is phone up a vet who spe******es in birds and ask him/her what they charge. Im from SA so I dont know what other countries charge. If you come regularly they often only charge a small fee or non at all because they get to know your bird. Might be different with other vets.

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
Where I purchased Bella from does all of her grooming free....for life! So I am actually going there today to get her groomed :)

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
birdiemama thats great wish i got that!
Ecclipse - no offense taken haha, but i sure wish it fit.

My b&G is Marco and his cage is an open structure so hes free to leave when he wants to. It has a climbing net i made a perch i made connected to his food and water and another perch as well. He usually will climb on top of the cage when he feels like it and explore.

Before me as far as ive gathered his po (previous owner) had him on a perch only. so i figured id keep it open and see how he does. I will be making a play stand or hanging play thing out of pvc soon so he can get some more exercise.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Vets around me charges anywhere from $70-120. The vet at the bird fair charges $25 in which im taking my macaw to this time. I can dremmel his nails if I had someone holding him for me, all my friends are terrified of him so no one is willing....lol and im not trusting his nails to someone else doing it but the vet and I.

My cage wouldn't go through the door outside neither so I had to take the whole cage apart to get it outside. My cage is about 5ft tall, im thinking about getting him the 7ft tall corner cage in which I have to dismantle it to get it in and out of the house...lol. I've got a B&G as well...

birdiemomma

Dec 2, 2010
California
Parrots
My Hahn's Macaw Bella <3
At the exotic bird store I go to it is only $15 total for nails, beak & wings on big birds. $12 for medium & $8 for small and that is in Orange County, California (usually everything is VERY EXPENSIVE here bc it is southern California!!)

vedwed

Feb 8, 2011
Media
CA
Parrots
Oliver-Red Crowned Amazon, Sky-GCC, Ruthie-Sun Conure
At the exotic bird store I go to it is only $15 total for nails, beak & wings on big birds. $12 for medium & $8 for small and that is in Orange County, California (usually everything is VERY EXPENSIVE here bc it is southern California!!)

The place I got Oliver charges 12 for the wings/nails/beak, I figured it would cost more as well being in SoCal lol

Where in OC are you at?

OP
B

borjawil

Dec 20, 2010
well sounds like i need to check out my local pet store. They've got all kinds of exotics and even raise baby birds, I actaully got to see the baby greys with their big bobble heads. Any who if they do trim beak/nails i hope its cheap and not $50-75. Thanks for your help!

Oh and looks like I will be building a new cage. that way i can make it tall enough and i know itll fit in the door!

Most Reactions

Latest posts