BIG but healthy amazons!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
She is just so tiny looking in your hands compared to our monster:11: I bet she doesn't weigh a gram more than 350. And she has that lovely all-over blue the Blue has too:)

Kiwi being held around the body:
DSC_5412_zps27030696.jpg

Kiwi on my hand (more recent pic, he is beefier now because he has chest muscles now:)):
DSC_5588_zps04a61ab7.jpg

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks , we haven't decided a name , we recently realized she was a female.
She seems really small but I don't think she's skinny , if she is she will gain real quick .
The other bfa named blue on the first page looks large compared to her.

Sweetheart is right . But only with me so far.

lx8KL1.jpg
Have you touched her chest to see how the keel feels? If it's sharp she's needs to gain some weight, but if either side of the breast bulge out to make a m shake she is overweight. You want to be able to feel the keel a little.

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
:D What a cutie, Pnwbirty!!

Here's one with Mopar in my hand:

That's his "upside down birdie"

I really do like this thread. Keep 'em comming! :green:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I also LOVE that we have one thread with so many amazing zon's I know there are more out there, let's see them!:D

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Oh, on a side note, in case anyone was wondering. I had both of my birds' bands removed. I still have them. (In fact, Mopar's has gone with me on all my work trips. Now Maverick's will, too.) But after reading about how they can get caught in things and such, and I don't see myself ever leaving the USA, decided to have them cut off.

Pnwbirty

Aug 23, 2014
Is that all the bands are for ? Leaving the country
Sorry I don't know anything about birds :confused:

I haven't really felt her body , I didn't know their was anything to feel for , but I will feel later .
Looking at some pictures maybe she does have a belly

yG14Gp.jpg

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

I haven't really felt her body , I didn't know their was anything to feel for , but I will feel later .

Bands these days more identify a breeder and hatch date. They used to be of great importance to prove the bird was imported legally, but they no longer allow imports of any parrots for the pet trade (in the US at least). Virtually ALL parrots in the US are captive bred (unless you adopt an older bird who was wild caught, but importing wild caughts ended in 1999 or 2000 I believe). Parrots can also be microchipped for identification:) I'm wondering how old your girl is? Open bands like she has is what was put on wild caughts because their feet were too big to slip a closed band over (they can only do that with babies). Does it say anything on it?

Parrots do tend to have a little "beer belly":D She's a small bird, even her feet and beak are small. If she is underweight, it isn't much and so long as she is being fed a healthy diet and is a active bird, her weight will quickly adjust to a healthy point. If she hasn't been, a vet visit may be helpful to make sure she is a good weight (or what a target weight would be for her and what foods to feed to get her there) and to test for deficiencies or disease.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Oh, on a side note, in case anyone was wondering. I had both of my birds' bands removed. I still have them. (In fact, Mopar's has gone with me on all my work trips. Now Maverick's will, too.) But after reading about how they can get caught in things and such, and I don't see myself ever leaving the USA, decided to have them cut off.

Kiwi didn't come with a band lol. If he's older than we realize, he could be a wild caught:eek::09:(I don't really think so). My mom still has Lucy's band from when she went through import quarantine, but she cut it off immediately after she bought her. If we ever moved out of the country, we'd have Kiwi microchipped (I don't ever see that EVER happening though).

Pnwbirty

Aug 23, 2014
Yea I really want to know how old she is , her band says FLZ 971

Is their some way I can look it up ?

Bands these days more identify a breeder and hatch date. They used to be of great importance to prove the bird was imported legally, but they no longer allow imports of any parrots for the pet trade (in the US at least). Virtually ALL parrots in the US are captive bred (unless you adopt an older bird who was wild caught, but importing wild caughts ended in 1999 or 2000 I believe). Parrots can also be microchipped for identification:) I'm wondering how old your girl is? Open bands like she has is what was put on wild caughts because their feet were too big to slip a closed band over (they can only do that with babies). Does it say anything on it?

Parrots do tend to have a little "beer belly":D She's a small bird, even her feet and beak are small. If she is underweight, it isn't much and so long as she is being fed a healthy diet and is a active bird, her weight will quickly adjust to a healthy point. If she hasn't been, a vet visit may be helpful to make sure she is a good weight (or what a target weight would be for her and what foods to feed to get her there) and to test for deficiencies or disease.

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That is most definitely an import band #- 3 letters, 3 numbers. She was wild caught and is older. Your bird came through Florida. I *think* the rest is a code for the exact quarantine station and a way to ID the group that imported her. According to the USDA website, that type of code was on birds imported before 1992, and they no longer keep records- USDA - APHIS - Import

Pnwbirty

Aug 23, 2014
That's all I could figure out is Florida .
I want to know more , and I don't know why but I feel like she can't be that old but what do I know .

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
That's the problem with bands. Sometimes the year is in them, sometimes it's just a state and a clutch number. So it can be hard to track. Neither of my bird's bands have a year on them.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Well, you know she is at least 22 years old. But considering large amazons (BFAs are considered large amazons, even if she is a small as an individual), when properly cared for can live well into their 70s. Healthy parrots don't show their age or it's so subtle, unless you've had the bird for decades, you'd never pick up on it. She wouldn't really be *that* old of a bird if she was 20 or 30 y/o anyways. My moms wild caught is at least 45, and possible much older (she's had her 40 years, and she was 4-6 y/o MINIMUM when imported as she was sexually mature). You would never guess she is as old as she is. She is healthy, in perfect feather and very active and strong (she's the DYH in my first 2 pictures, tell me she looks like an old lady with a straight face:20:)

My BFA is at least 16 y/o. Again, healthy active bird in perfect feather You couldn't even guess. Had we never been told he was about 10 when we got him, we never would have had a clue (and I would have probably guessed younger too). He could even be older. All we know is the lady we got him from had him for 5 years and the people she got him from had him for around 5 years and supposedly got him as a juvenile/were his 1st owners.

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Kelly I think is around 550 grams now and looks way more healthy then when he first came home. Once he starts gaining muscle he might go back up again:) He definitely needs some muscle but otherwise he is a healthy weight now!

Should I risk some fingers and weigh some of the bigger rescue guys:D Boris a yellow nape out in the shelter may actually be up in the 700 to 800 range. He is a big guy and very wicked looking!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Should I risk some fingers and weigh some of the bigger rescue guys:D Boris a yellow nape out in the shelter may actually be up in the 700 to 800 range. He is a big guy and very wicked looking!

Hey, whats a few missing fingers in the name of "science":D And who knows, maybe Boris is a gentle giant:54::green2: Is he a member of the feral gang of amazons?

LilChodi954

Jun 27, 2014
South & Central Florida
Parrots
Lil Chodi - 12 year old Male DYH Amazon
Gizmo - 19 year old Male DYH Amazon
Sasha - 9 year old CAG
Thought I'd add a few more photos of Lil'Chodi in the Big Amazon section :) We also have to give a "thank you" to Kiwibird for inspiring us to get the backpack !
The last photo is Lil'Cho doing his "Amazon Rain Shower Dance" (we learned that phrase from another member as well!)

Attachments

• 20140725_140217.jpeg
    20140725_140217.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_00000481.jpg
    IMG_00000481.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Love those pics of Lil Chodi! Whats he got going on with his neck fluff in the first one? He must be super happy to be in the car lol. That pic in the backpack shows how big he really is because I know how big Kiwi looks in his backpack:eek: Glad he's loving the backpack. It's a great way to take them out. And nothing is happier than an amazon getting a bath:D

LilChodi954

Jun 27, 2014
South & Central Florida
Parrots
Lil Chodi - 12 year old Male DYH Amazon
Gizmo - 19 year old Male DYH Amazon
Sasha - 9 year old CAG
Kiwibird, we live in South Florida - very hot! When Lil' Cho first gets in the car he goes for the A/C. When he's cooled off he will move away from the vents :) That's one of my favorite photos of him.

Most Reactions