Bird-safe nonstick cookware?

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
Could be the ceramic cookware as wellll...I bet he will have the info on his website

MenomaMinx

Oct 20, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Kumiko the Calico Macaw DNA sexed female 8 years old:On her second month as a service animal–I'm very proud of her:-)
I just bought my personal Valkyrie a 12 inch fry pan {heavy gauge aluminum} as a second attempt to replace the Teflon pan she used for years that she gave up for my Kumiko's sake.

The new pan is being sold at Burlington Coat Factory under the brand-name basic essentials eco-tech($15 US money down from $30)

Ceramic nonstick

PFOA free

PTFE free with the byline of being safe for people and sensitive pets

Water-based ceramic coating

Scratch resistant

Excellent release

Easy cleanup

Limited lifetime warranty

Hand washing is recommended

My personal Valkyrie says it just functions like a normal nonstick pan, so this brand might be a good option for somebody.

My first attempt to replace her pan was a 12 inch stainless steel from Walmart. She said she never had such problems with stainless steel sticking before, but neither of us can remember the brand-name.

She's an amazing cook :)

I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm going to look over the five previous pages of posts in this topic for other culinary tools.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Right now I have a ceramic skillet a Green t Life brand. One of the things it says is
No PTFE
NO PFO

I hate Telfon and do not miss it. Nor I will not cook with one for the safety of my bird. I do not follow fads or believe every scare tatic. I do not keep my bird in the kitchen. That said I have not had any problems with any ceramic like skillets so far. When those Teflon skillets first came out and I was still petless I would get light headed (for a while) when I or my family cooked with one. While I still was with my parents my parent put my green cheek conure in the kitchen. Lucky for him he did not get hurt. I remember they would cook low, or open windows and swinging towels in the air. Bear in mind back then not as much was known, and unlike then I am in control of my birds care and how much money I spend on him. Now I can freely research on the internet and forums. I did a lot of research as a adult before I got a bird. Captain Jacks cage resides in my living room.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Oh you are a STAR! Thank you so much for this :D Heading to the shops today to get my all new set of birdy safe cookware and went on a rollercoaster of emotions with this post, thinking I was going to get something awesome and then finding out it's unsafe, but then finding out it was safe again! hahaha Appreciate you taking the time to make it clear for future readers :)
In fact, I joined to thank ya :p

There's no eclectus smiley :'(

I know you want to hear there is a bird safe non-stick out there, as we all do, however IT IS NOT SO. Please use stainless steel, cast iron, glass, silicone, ceramic which ARE BIRD SAFE.

I have been finding only nonstick ceramic pots and pans, are these not the type of ceramic cookware you mean?

No I am talking about the 100% ceramic. Not the "ceramic non- stick coating"!

Toxic Cookware and Cutlery | Rebecca Wood

Healthy Cookware | Rebecca Wood

bongodoggie

Oct 30, 2013
Las Vegas
Parrots
Tiki: yellow nape amazon I've had since a baby in 1984. I know her egg day and her birthday.

Rojo & Calypso: scarlet and blue and gold macaws I've had since 2009.
Can someone refer me to scientific articles that discribe the dangers of Teflon?
I do not trust Dr. Oz as a reliable source, and am sceptical due to claims in the past that aluminum and avocato kills birds. I think well meaning people often fear things needlessly, but realize i have to stay alert to actual dangers. I'd never heard about Teflon before....

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Can someone refer me to scientific articles that discribe the dangers of Teflon?
I do not trust Dr. Oz as a reliable source, and am sceptical due to claims in the past that aluminum and avocato kills birds. I think well meaning people often fear things needlessly, but realize i have to stay alert to actual dangers. I'd never heard about Teflon before....

Are you serious?

burnziethebird

Sep 9, 2013
San Jose, CA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I know you want to hear there is a bird safe non-stick out there, as we all do, however IT IS NOT SO. Please use stainless steel, cast iron, glass, silicone, ceramic which ARE BIRD SAFE.

I have been finding only nonstick ceramic pots and pans, are these not the type of ceramic cookware you mean?

No I am talking about the 100% ceramic. Not the "ceramic non- stick coating"!

Toxic Cookware and Cutlery | Rebecca Wood

Healthy Cookware | Rebecca Wood

Thank you for links! They are very informative. Though it doesn't say anything about ceramic coated pots and pans emitting toxins at high temperatures like Teflon, just about it leaching into our food. Honestly, I care more about my birds safety than my own and have probably ingested much worse things in my life. So from the article it seems ceramic coated cookware would not be harmful to our birds. The cookware I just bought is PTFE-Free, PFOA-Free, and Cadmium-Free so I don't see how this could be harmful to my bird. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

bongodoggie

Oct 30, 2013
Las Vegas
Parrots
Tiki: yellow nape amazon I've had since a baby in 1984. I know her egg day and her birthday.

Are you serious?

Very serious ... lets see the scientific articles. What is the toxic chemical emitted from a burnt Teflon pan? Was it really this chemical that kills birds, or smoke inhalation in general?

My thoughts: The link between aluminum and health issues is not shown statistically, but is often repeated and believed by many people, even with little scientific evidence from what I understand .. about avocatos, well, did someone's bird die after eating them so everyone is scared ever since? I feed my birds small amounts, with no ill effect. About Dr. Oz, well I just think he jumps on board with every new health concern and ends up scaring a lot of people needlessly. The assenic in apple juice harmful for kids is an example. An 80 lb child would have to drink 430 gallons of it a day for there to be an identifiable effect.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots

Are you serious?

Very serious ... lets see the scientific articles. What is the toxic chemical emitted from a burnt Teflon pan? Was it really this chemical that kills birds, or smoke inhalation in general?

My thoughts: The link between aluminum and health issues is not shown statistically, but is often repeated and believed by many people, even with little scientific evidence from what I understand .. about avocatos, well, did someone's bird die after eating them so everyone is scared ever since? I feed my birds small amounts, with no ill effect. About Dr. Oz, well I just think he jumps on board with every new health concern and ends up scaring a lot of people needlessly. The assenic in apple juice harmful for kids is an example. An 80 lb child would have to drink 430 gallons of it a day for there to be an identifiable effect.

Maybe someone will go there with you. You just joined this forum, however this debate has been deeply talked about and I'm not going to restate it all You are welcome to look back....years back....on the many threads on the subject.
But at the end of the day, people take the information they want and do whatever works for them. All the same to me.

bongodoggie

Oct 30, 2013
Las Vegas
Parrots

Are you serious?

Maybe someone will go there with you. You just joined this forum, however this debate has been deeply talked about and I'm not going to restate it all You are welcome to look back....years back....on the many threads on the subject.
But at the end of the day, people take the information they want and do whatever works for them. All the same to me.

Thanks Echo: Went to Dupont's website and they acknowledge the problem with Teflon and birds, so that is strong evidence that the effect is real. Excuse my ignorance on the subject, I just hadn't heard about until a few weeks ago. Dupont linked to a avian vet who recommends ways to protect your birds, primrily keeping them out of the kitchen when cooking. The issue, according to Dupont, is about smoke inhalation and can happen to any number of cookware, not just Teflon. I'm reminded of the 'canary in the mine'. Thanks again for educating me.

legal_eagle

Banned
Banned
Feb 28, 2013
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure Pee-Wee

I agree ... there's a cult-like quality to the fervor with which some parrot owners pass on these self-styled "truths." I recently looked around on the interwebs on this subject and the best information I could find was that you have to heat the pan to over 500 degrees to begin to release any gasses. You'd have to be really inattentive (or inebriated) to do that. My conure's cage is 10 feet from my kitchen, and I use regular nonstick pans several times a week. Somehow she has survived for14+ years.

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots

I agree ... there's a cult-like quality to the fervor with which some parrot owners pass on these self-styled "truths." I recently looked around on the interwebs on this subject and the best information I could find was that you have to heat the pan to over 500 degrees to begin to release any gasses. You'd have to be really inattentive (or inebriated) to do that. My conure's cage is 10 feet from my kitchen, and I use regular nonstick pans several times a week. Somehow she has survived for14+ years.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to get your pan at 500 degrees and up (why don't you ask a chef?) Heck you stir fry at 650 degrees easy. Nice of you to play Russian roulette with your Conure. You might also be killing him at a slower pace, just enough to reduce his life span, but after 14 years, whatever happens to him then will be said as "he lived a long life"!

Also accidents can happen: the phone rings and it's an emergency, someone screams outside, your child gets badly hurt....will you think "wait, my Teflon is on the burner"?

My BIGGEST pet perves is : people! There are soooo many OTHER choices to cook with, why, but why take the chance? Your cooking is oh so much more awesome and your life sooo much worth living for when you cook with a non stick product???? I mean REALLY!!!! I tell you it was worse for me to quit smoking when I got pregnant than to quit Teflon and non-stick pans!! I threw those out and never looked back! Who CARES!???

If someone tells me that something is bad for my bird, I say OK and get rid of it. I have plenty of replacement.....There is NOTHING worse than waiting for a Necropsy result and realizing that you caused the death of your parrot. I'm the type of owner who would never take that chance, scientific proof or not.....why would anyone do????

sillysally

Nov 13, 2010
Indiana
Parrots
Pickles-white winged parakeet; Yoda-Quaker parrot; Solo- Senegal parrot; Kiwi-white winged parakeet-Forever in our hearts, RIP
We use stainless steel and ceramic coated. I didn't want to risk it because I'm really good at burning things when I cook-lol

Love_Fern

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2014
Georgia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Oh my! I have never heard this and I cook with Fern on my shoulder ALL the time, and her Treehouse she stays on in the day (she doesnt have a cage) is in same area as the Kitchen since the dining, tv and kitchen are open areas together. I use nonstick pans!:11:

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
As long as they are Teflon free you're good (in response to the ceramic pan question)

Toss any non stick pan that has Teflon.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We purchased stainless steel and I am surprised how much I like them. We also picked up a few ceramic frying pans for things like eggs and stir fry.

Most Reactions

Latest posts