Bird-safe nonstick cookware?

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
how about analon?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I had some anodized aluminum pans. I have not been very impressed. They may be slightly-less-stick, but not non-stick. They also tend to scratch easily and once scratched, everything sticks to them.

Ceramic sounds like a good idea. I don't have a ceramic pan (I should look for one) but ceramics are easiest to care for and are *really* non-stick.

For pans I primarily use a well seasoned cast iron pan. It takes a bit of care - but when well cared for nothing sticks and it cooks wonderfully. And in the event of a home invasion it can make a handy weapon ;)

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
LOL you've been watching 'Tangled' , eh? I just meant Analon is what I have, so I'm wondering its' affect on my bird.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I was responding to the thread - I've never heard of 'Tangled'.

I also had not heard of Analon - but that seems to be a company that sells various types of cookware including teflon, anodized aluminum, and stainless steel.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
In 'Tangled' the girl uses a cast iron pan to defend from home invasion which then catches on and in the end a whole kingdom adopts the use of the cast iron pan as a weapon :D!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I have a greenpan that I adore. It chipped a little around the edges when i first got it, but it works great!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Just read the comments about other non teflon pans.. I should do more research on Green Pan before I go vouching for it. I believe it's coated with ceramic and silicon, but now I will have to double check! I haven't really used it since I got Puck.

pipoca

Jan 2, 2013
If you look at the box again and read what the layers are(to make the pan) you will see that the outer layer, the non-stick part you cook in is ANION. The SDS for Anion is what I posted.....
Yes it is probably safe for humans (Teflon won't kill you either)........but when heated above 400 degrees, it release harmful chemicals that would be dangerous for the sensitive Parrot/Bird.
The company never wrote or stated the product to be safe for Parrots/Birds so no lawsuit would be expected.......

Thought someone should clear this up for future visitors: "anion" is not a chemical compound. That SDS you found is for a "Strong Base Anion Exchange Resin Chloride Form". It is a resin which exchanges anions, and is unrelated with cookware. Anion is simply an ion, the opposite of a cation: a particle with a negative charge. Also there is no "outer layer", the ecolon coating is a single layer, and the manual mentions that it uses rock, sand and dirt as it's source materials.

Air ionizers, for example, release anions to disrupt microbe cells and capture airborne dust. So, the pan releasing anions is a good thing - that's why it figures on some specifications and comparisons with teflon pans (which do not release ions). There are no known effects from ionizers on birds, and in comparison the amount released from a pan would be minimal.

:green1:

Last edited:

Keraunophilliac

Aug 5, 2013
If you look at the box again and read what the layers are(to make the pan) you will see that the outer layer, the non-stick part you cook in is ANION. The SDS for Anion is what I posted.....
Yes it is probably safe for humans (Teflon won't kill you either)........but when heated above 400 degrees, it release harmful chemicals that would be dangerous for the sensitive Parrot/Bird.
The company never wrote or stated the product to be safe for Parrots/Birds so no lawsuit would be expected.......

Thought someone should clear this up for future visitors: "anion" is not a chemical compound. That SDS you found is for a "Strong Base Anion Exchange Resin Chloride Form". It is a resin which exchanges anions, and is unrelated with cookware. Anion is simply an ion, the opposite of a cation: a particle with a negative charge. Also there is no "outer layer", the ecolon coating is a single layer, and the manual mentions that it uses rock, sand and dirt as it's source materials.

Air ionizers, for example, release anions to disrupt microbe cells and capture airborne dust. So, the pan releasing anions is a good thing - that's why it figures on some specifications and comparisons with teflon pans (which do not release ions). There are no known effects from ionizers on birds, and in comparison the amount released from a pan would be minimal.

Oh you are a STAR! Thank you so much for this :D Heading to the shops today to get my all new set of birdy safe cookware and went on a rollercoaster of emotions with this post, thinking I was going to get something awesome and then finding out it's unsafe, but then finding out it was safe again! hahaha Appreciate you taking the time to make it clear for future readers :)
In fact, I joined to thank ya :p

There's no eclectus smiley :'(

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have a set of cast iron that is over 100 years old and never sticks! Love the stuff. And it will last for many generations to come!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I have TONs of cast iron cookware, love it . Hey Shelly, got any cool corn muffin/corn bread pans? I need one shaped like a parrot,LOL.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have TONs of cast iron cookware, love it . Hey Shelly, got any cool corn muffin/corn bread pans? I need one shaped like a parrot,LOL.

I have one in the shape of 6 different dinosaurs. I would say the T-rex would be close! LOL

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo

No no I'm pretty sure that air ionizers release ozone which is bad. Please do more research before making statements like this! It really seems like only glass, ceramic, cast iron and stainless steel are the safest cookware to use.

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
No no I'm pretty sure that air ionizers release ozone which is bad. Please do more research before making statements like this!

Air ionizers release ions. There are two types to choose from: cations and anions. The air ionizer uses the latter. So it is perfectly correct to say that the ionizer releases anions.

If it releases ozone (think thunderstorm smell) it is broken.

The ions released into the air won't "disrupt microbes". But it will make it clump together with any dust particles and stick to a nearby surface. That is, it gets out of the air. A high-voltage air cleaner (like I have in the attic) is different: it also extracts material by charging it, but it also continues to bombard the captured material with electrons which can kill spores and other pathogens in a few days of exposure.

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo

Oh you are a STAR! Thank you so much for this :D Heading to the shops today to get my all new set of birdy safe cookware and went on a rollercoaster of emotions with this post, thinking I was going to get something awesome and then finding out it's unsafe, but then finding out it was safe again! hahaha Appreciate you taking the time to make it clear for future readers :)

I know you want to hear there is a bird safe non-stick out there, as we all do, however IT IS NOT SO. Please use stainless steel, cast iron, glass, silicone, ceramic which ARE BIRD SAFE.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'll be 'sticking' with my stainless steel pans (har har har...sorry for the pun lol) definitely need/want to find a good cast iron skillet though, easy to pick up cool ones from antique/thrift shops for cheap and re-season them. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow :D

burnziethebird

Sep 9, 2013
San Jose, CA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure

I know you want to hear there is a bird safe non-stick out there, as we all do, however IT IS NOT SO. Please use stainless steel, cast iron, glass, silicone, ceramic which ARE BIRD SAFE.

I have been finding only nonstick ceramic pots and pans, are these not the type of ceramic cookware you mean?

Most Reactions