Bird-safe nonstick cookware?

Love_Fern

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2014
Georgia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I have had Fern 10 months cooking with Teflon. Do you think I have done damage? Would I know? I will go buy different pans though, just worried because she has definitely been exposed 10 months now.

What a great informative website this is!

sunnyflower

Jan 20, 2016
I've never participated in a forum before but I joined this one to warn against non-stick cookware. Cooking is a hobby but I cook without non stick. Period.

Years ago, before I had access to the Internet, I accidentally killed my little Romeo, the love of my life, because I was heating some water in a non-stick pot and forgot about it. Romeo and I were in another room and there was no smoke, but one second he was in my hand playing with me and literally, the next second he gasped once as if he couldn't breathe and then he was dead. There was no resuscitating him. He was alive and then he was dead. Whatever Teflon releases into the air is invisible but deadly. Again, there is no time to react - these little guys can die that fast because their lungs are so very efficient. They are NOT like mammals. All these years later I still can't forgive myself. Ignorance is no excuse. I had never owned a bird before and I took such pride in cooking food for him and keeping a clean home for him - he was always on my shoulder, hiding behind my hair and laughing in my ear when I laughed. I miss him so much. I can't stress this enough. This happens in the blink of an eye, too fast to rush them out of the house or to get help. They just die. Please, please don't take a chance with your bird's life. No matter how careful you are with non-stick cookware, a child can get hurt, someone knocks on the door, a million things can occur to distract you and literally in the same second it will kill your bird so fast it will take your breath away.

Borninps

Sep 4, 2018
I guess all of us birdie owners should just stop cooking period! What to make for dinner? Reservations!!!! :eek:)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I had no idea about the Teflon issues until I got Levi.
I switched over to stainless steel & ceramic and itā€™s working well.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I've never participated in a forum before but I joined this one to warn against non-stick cookware. Cooking is a hobby but I cook without non stick. Period.

Years ago, before I had access to the Internet, I accidentally killed my little Romeo, the love of my life, because I was heating some water in a non-stick pot and forgot about it. Romeo and I were in another room and there was no smoke, but one second he was in my hand playing with me and literally, the next second he gasped once as if he couldn't breathe and then he was dead. There was no resuscitating him. He was alive and then he was dead. Whatever Teflon releases into the air is invisible but deadly. Again, there is no time to react - these little guys can die that fast because their lungs are so very efficient. They are NOT like mammals. All these years later I still can't forgive myself. Ignorance is no excuse. I had never owned a bird before and I took such pride in cooking food for him and keeping a clean home for him - he was always on my shoulder, hiding behind my hair and laughing in my ear when I laughed. I miss him so much. I can't stress this enough. This happens in the blink of an eye, too fast to rush them out of the house or to get help. They just die. Please, please don't take a chance with your bird's life. No matter how careful you are with non-stick cookware, a child can get hurt, someone knocks on the door, a million things can occur to distract you and literally in the same second it will kill your bird so fast it will take your breath away.

I'm so sorry you had such a heartbreaking experience because you were unaware of the danger. Thank you for sharing your first hand knowledge to inform others, it makes a difference.

Almost six years ago I threw away all the cookware we had with non-stick surfaces, I tossed a few small apppliances as well, better to err on the side of caution. My adult children often cook when they are home, so for us it was the best solution. It may take a little time to get accustomed to but cast iron, glass and stainless steel cookware is actually far healthier for humans. If you really like to cook or have multiple chefs in your home, may I suggest Sitram stainless steel cookware, it's amazing and it will last a lifetime.

Most Reactions