Bountiful Harvest with chocolate?

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
A few months ago I got some Bountiful Harvest from mysafebirdstore.com, and Wheatley went crazy for it. I ran out recently and ordered a new shipment which came today. As I was pouring the mix into a container, I found something odd: a chocolate covered almond (I ate it just to make sure. No mistake, it was definitely chocolate!) I sifted through it to search for more chocolate, but didn't find any. I figured it was a small mistake, so I gave Wheatley a bit of his usual Bountiful Harvest dinner treat, and went to find dinner myself. I came back to find Wheatley vomiting everywhere... I have never seen him vomit so much. I got ready to prepare him for an emergency vet visit, but he shortly stopped vomiting and was back to flying and playing, so I gave him a warm bath and threw his food out.

I find it really strange that there was any chocolate at all in my BH... I love mysafebirdstore, they have such wonderful service and great products, but I'm concerned that I may have just fed Wheatley contaminated food. I gave him the same fresh fruit and veggie mix I gave him yesterday, and he was okay with that, so I don't think his fresh moods made him ill. Has anybody had an experience like this?

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Are you sure its chocolate? They have yoguart covered pieces that might taste like that maybe? I would contact Kathy and let her know what happened so she doesn't send out anymore without checking.

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
Yes, I found chocolate in my bountiful harvest mix! I bought it from the Paterson Bird Store in NJ. There were 4 large round malt ball size in my bird food. It looked like milk chocolate. At the Paterson store, the food is in bulk and the employee will fill your bag to your requested amount. The store has every kind of bird mix available in bulk. I thought a bad customer threw the candy in with the bird food to be a douche. Now I think it must have been the company. I am glad your bird is doing better.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Rest assured it was not chocolate! It was a carob covered almond and totally safe for your bird. It tastes very much like chocolate but its not. Look up goldenfeast carob almonds. She sells them and I buy them for my bird and me lol!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have seen these and bit into one. Kathie would never send food out that was toxic to birds. You can talk to her if you want. Phone number is on the web site.

OP
echoskybound

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Rest assured it was not chocolate! It was a carob covered almond and totally safe for your bird. It tastes very much like chocolate but its not. Look up goldenfeast carob almonds. She sells them and I buy them for my bird and me lol!

Thank you! That's good to know. It tasted exactly like chocolate, I would have never guessed it wasn't!

I'm still not sure what made Wheatley so sick.... I may try to give him some more Bountiful Harvest in a few days and see if he's okay with it.

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
Goodness! I appear to be striking out big time here :(

Someone just sent me the link to this post so I thought I would jump on. The carob coated almonds (not chocolate) are perfectly safe for your birds. Carob is derived from a tree. I also do not have a retail store where anyone comes into my location. It is totally bird free and no "customers" frequent my facility.

Please feel free to contact me if ever there is an issue with anything.

As soon as things quiet down, I promise I will be on here posting so that you can get to know me better and know that I would never jeopardize the life of any bird.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
After talking to Kathy and also getting my first order I am highly pleased with my safe bird store and their products and I can tell you so isn't sweetie pie my little qp. Carob is a substitue for chocolate that they use in the health food stores and alson in dog cookies and treats for dogs beacause it is safe and does not contain theobromine like chocolate. Alison and sweetie pie:D

OP
echoskybound

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Mysafebirdstore: You always have very wonderful service! I'm very sorry I wrongly called you out in this post! Bountiful Harvest has such an extensive list of ingredients I must have totally missed the carob covered almonds. I never saw any in my previous batch so it was a surprise to find one, and I thought it might just be a small mistake. I was just concerned when my bird got sick, but I'm not sure not what caused that. I don't think there's any reason the BH would have made him sick since there's no chocolate.

Thank you for keeping your products birdy friendly! It's great to know that everything I'm ordering is safe! And don't worry, I'll keep coming back for more of that Bountiful Harvest :]

That carob almond sure had me fooled - it tastes exactly like chocolate!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Bountiful Harvest smells so good, makes me want to just snack on it myself! lol.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
So happy to have your here MSBS. I am sure you can add so much wisdom to our postings, especially about rescue of birds and their care.

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
Yes, I found chocolate in my bountiful harvest mix! I bought it from the Paterson Bird Store in NJ. There were 4 large round malt ball size in my bird food. It looked like milk chocolate. At the Paterson store, the food is in bulk and the employee will fill your bag to your requested amount. The store has every kind of bird mix available in bulk. I thought a bad customer threw the candy in with the bird food to be a douche. Now I think it must have been the company. I am glad your bird is doing better.

The only place you can get the "original" Bountiful Harvest would be through me. If this store is selling this mix, they are apparently copying the name of my food. :( I am the creator of the food - it's my recipe and it is unique to my store.

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
The Paterson bird store recommended the bird mix to me and that was the name they used.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Hey , if it tastes like chocolate , and it's natural , I WANT SOME !!!!!
Gotta taste better then the crappy breakfast cereal with "chocolate bits" I had today !!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
A few months ago I got some Bountiful Harvest from mysafebirdstore.com, and Wheatley went crazy for it. I ran out recently and ordered a new shipment which came today. As I was pouring the mix into a container, I found something odd: a chocolate covered almond (I ate it just to make sure. No mistake, it was definitely chocolate!) I sifted through it to search for more chocolate, but didn't find any. I figured it was a small mistake, so I gave Wheatley a bit of his usual Bountiful Harvest dinner treat, and went to find dinner myself. I came back to find Wheatley vomiting everywhere... I have never seen him vomit so much. I got ready to prepare him for an emergency vet visit, but he shortly stopped vomiting and was back to flying and playing, so I gave him a warm bath and threw his food out.

I find it really strange that there was any chocolate at all in my BH... I love mysafebirdstore, they have such wonderful service and great products, but I'm concerned that I may have just fed Wheatley contaminated food. I gave him the same fresh fruit and veggie mix I gave him yesterday, and he was okay with that, so I don't think his fresh moods made him ill. Has anybody had an experience like this?

I hope you find out what made Wheately so sick. At least we now it wasn't the food. I would bring him in to take some bloods jut to be on the safe side.
Let us now how he is doing .
:white1::white1:

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
The Paterson bird store recommended the bird mix to me and that was the name they used.

Just wanted to let you know that I called Paterson Bird Store the other day and spoke to Ike, the owner. Obviously, I was quite concerned that they were somehow selling my mix. The owner swore they have nothing called Bountiful Harvest and said it was probably Bonita Loco, a mix by Goldenfeast.

We had quite a nice conversation. He seems like a really nice guy!

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
MSBS: do you have the food packaged or mixed in a facility somewhere, or do you do it all on-site? I was just thinking that if you had it made to your specs, the facility could be the ones who made the mistake. When I read the OP that's what came to mind-- it didn't feel like she was implicating you at all. Needless to say, you are entirely trustworthy, but weird things do happen in food manufacturing!

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
MSBS: do you have the food packaged or mixed in a facility somewhere, or do you do it all on-site? I was just thinking that if you had it made to your specs, the facility could be the ones who made the mistake. When I read the OP that's what came to mind-- it didn't feel like she was implicating you at all. Needless to say, you are entirely trustworthy, but weird things do happen in food manufacturing!

The Bountiful Harvest is my recipe which I personally make. My facility is not open to the public. I do not currently offer it for resale to retail stores.

The person who posted this did not buy the food from my site and bought food from a store in North Jersey (I am in South Jersey). I contacted that store to ask if they carry my food, since, if they do, it is not from me (at least not directly). The owner advised they have NO food called Bountiful Havest and was certain that she purchased Bonita Loco which does have the carob coated almonds in the mix.

I sure do hope that this clears things up.

Can I please add that there was never chocolate in any mix? If she purchased Bonita Loco from Paterson Birds in North Jersey, the mix contains CAROB almonds - not chocolate. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions