Breeder recommendations.

Raymond85

Jun 2, 2016
Hi , I'm new to the forum . I have a 3 year old African grey and I'm looking to purchase a macaw. Can anyone recommend a reputable breeder .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It would be a whole lot easier if you had added a location to your member information. With no idea where in this huge World you are, makes it really difficult to provide a Breeder's name.

OP
R

Raymond85

Jun 2, 2016
I'm fromiserable New Jersey . I would be fine with having one shipped .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm fromiserable New Jersey . I would be fine with having one shipped .

Not a very good idea at all. You really want to see and develop a relationship with your MAC before you start setting money on the table. There are far too many SCAMS that take your money and run, ship sick parrots, much older parrots, or totally different parrots , etc... And, the really Good Breeders do not ship!

You may want to do a little more research in that regard. There is a reason that: Let the Buyer Beware, is still a reality.

You are in an area that has several Breeders, Traders and Pet Shops.

Since you already have a parrot, you should have an Avian Vet, correct. Your local Avian Vet will be able to provide support for an offered Breeder or lead you to a Breeder.

Please remember to add you location (NJ) into your member information form. That way, you will not be pestered in the future.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
There are many very good breeders who ship. It is just very important to do your homework. A good place to find a starting point is birdbreeders.com From there look for further reviews online.

What type of macaw are you looking to get?

ChrisDooley

Banned
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
Don't forget rescue organizations. I rescued an 8 year old Harlequin Macaw who was well trained, socialized and in good health. He is a big boy of a bird. The adoption fee was $450 and I received the bird, his large cage, a carrier and a rolling stand. I also received a tub of food and toys.

From a breeder you can expect to pay over $2000 for the species you mentioned. Then you can add on cage, toys, food, etc.

Most rescues will post pictures of their birds and do a great job keeping them healthy and socialized while they are at the facility.

I'm sure not everyone has a stellar experience with a rescue bird. It's not always the perfect situation. However, getting a baby bird is not without it's bumps in the road as well.

Also be prepared. My macaw did not get along with my African Grey. ;)
He is a big bully with the other birds. So I have to keep a constant eye on him.

CD

Most Reactions