Breeder/Shipping questions

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
Hi everyone,

I’ve been thinking about getting a green cheek conure for almost two years now & I’ve done enough research to make anyone else sick of reading about birds lol. But before I buy I have a few questions/ concerns I’d like to take up with people who already have green cheeks & have been thru the process of searching for the right breeder & the right bird.

I ran into this breeder who I think I like & even more, they breed turquoise green cheeks ! Which, in my opinion are the most stunning of all the green cheek mutations. Ever since I first saw a turquoise I knew that was the color I wanted. Anyway the breeder’s site is over at SomethingCheeky.com I just wanted to know if anyone on here has ever purchased a bird from them before? From what I see, they seem knowledgeable & happy to work with buyers & their birds LOOk healthy (&absolutely beautiful) but there's only so much I can tell from a computer screen -___-

I live in NJ & they’re located in NC & I’d have to ship the baby over on a plane (I think it’s like an hour long flight or something) & invest a good amount of money –about $400 for bird & shipping together. I’m just a little skeptical about buying online from someone I don’t know or can’t really get to know due to the distance. I also have concerns about (I'd hate to say it but) possibly being ripped off & also not being able to handle/ hand pick the baby bird I want or connect with before I pay for it.

All the feedback on the site & their facebook page is positive, but would anyone honestly show their buyers negative feedback if there were any?

Also I know many people have strong opinions about shipping birds, I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with shipping the baby either, I know it can be stressful (& even dangerous) for them /:

I'd hope to avoid the shipping altogether. Would anyone by any chance know of any good reputable breeders in the NJ area (or maybe even NY, PA, or CT) that regularly have turquoise babies available? (& preferably under $400 range?)

I realize this maybe a lot of questions for one post, sorry for that X:
But thanks for reading & thanks in advance for any responses
Looking forward to meeting, & sharing stories with you all C: !

-Mel

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
As far as the reputation of that particular breeder, I just don't know :( Sorry.

Now for shipping info.... I ship birds regularly, and have never. Had any trouble on either end :)
Shipping can be a bit stressful (depending on the bird). Shipping during good weather is not much different than taking a bird for a drive in a kennel that long. Good breeders put apple, orange, and some type of pellet or seed in the kennel with the bird. Some will even include water bottles (depending on flight time. I personally cover all the holes with a fabric so no one can stick their fingers in the kennel. I get the bird use to the kennel about a week before shipping.

Make sure to use either paypal (preferably) although a lot of breeders dislike paypal because they charge additional fees for higher purchases, but paypal can refund your money if you get ripped off.

The next part will sound harsh, but make sure the breeder buys the insurance for the bird (most do), that way IF something happened you would not be out the money.... although no one will be able to sleep if sometthing happened to a poor baby bird (but as I said, I've shipped dozens of birds). Also, (if possible) insist on shipping Continental and NOT Delta. Delta does not have climate controlled cargo, and they aren't nearly as professional or well equipped to deal with birds... I only use Delta when Continental is not an option (often times I won't sell the bird to a particular person if Delta is the only airline available).

Good luck!

OP
TurquoiseMel

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Everything you've said is so reassuring, thanks so much. I've emailed the breeder and I may get on the phone with him tomorrow to find out specifically how he ships his birds, and how he prepares them for the trip and how the crate is prepared.The site does say he ships thru Delta & Continental (I've always liked Continental better, I never travel in anything else C: ) so if I ship now I know the same goes for my bird.

I don't know when I'll be able to buy tho, I still have a ways to save up so it may be a clutch or two (or more haha I don't really know) before I can approach him with the intentions of actually buying a baby, do you think he'd mind answering a billion & one questions anyway? lol :$

Haha yes, paypal does have fees all over the place, but you have a point, I will look into it.

& I'm sorry but what do you mean by 'buys the insurance for the bird'?

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
First, I do this for a living so I never mind answering a billion questions.... and generally speaking breeders are usually pretty good about answering questions. If they aren't helpful and reassuring, then I'd consider finding a different breeder.

Continetal gives me the option of insuring the bird up to $1000. The fee for it is minimal, so I always insure all birds I ship. IF he;s an experienced shipper, then he'll know what you're talking about. The insurance is paid out to the breeder if the bird passes away sometime during the trip. Meaning the breeder can then pay you back. (Although paypal will pay you back faster, and then the breeder can file with the airline and keep the money. (When I read continetals insurance, it sounded like it could take weeks for them to pay out, but I'm not sure... thank God! :D )

AngelaB

Jul 19, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Parrots
We have a male yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure and a female Maroon-bellied Conure.
I just bought a GCC from Phil at Something Cheeky two weeks ago! (FYI He's in the middle of moving, I think, so he may not be as quick as usual to respond to calls and emails right now.)

Phil seems like a great guy and this bird is very sweet. Phil's a nut over testing his birds and keeps a closed aviary to keep his birds safe from disease. I took my bird to an avian vet two days after I got him from Phil. The vet checked him out and he looked great to the vet. :)

I got a 14-week old male extra-red yellow side GCC. I didn't have to pay shipping because I was in NC for vacation and just met Phil on 95 and took the bird home to Maryland from there. Economically, it's better to drive your bird home from your family beach trip. ;)

I got Zeus on July 31st and he already, eats from my hand, steps up, "turns around," and flies to me when I ask him to. He's been a little nippy with my husband, but he's clearly a very well socialized bird and we'll get through it.

Anyway, I highly recommend Something Cheeky thus far!

OP
TurquoiseMel

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Oh I see. I'll bring up the insurance deal with him as well c: thanks so much ShreddedOak

If only he was moving to New Jersey! Lol
He's actually been pretty quick with emails, I usually get a response the next day, I wouldve never guessed he was in the middle of moving.

& This is all great to hear as well. Congratulations on your new baby gc, you must be so excited! Hope the little guy is adjusting well c:

As for the beach trip idea- I wish that was an option for me. I'm currently in that stage where you avoid asking your parents for anything at all costs, or avoid asking my mom at least (I live with her). My dad on the other hand (yea, I'm a daddy's girl,lol) offered to help me pay for the bird. I'd hate to ask my mom for a whole vacation down to NC just so I could get my gc, especially when it's not something we normally do, you know /: Not to mention she'd probably say no anyways haha, & I don't have my own car yet t o be able to go on my own.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I purchased a Crimson-Bellied Conure from them a few months ago. They shipped him and everything went great! The bird is the sweetest bird ever! Very gentle and not bitey at all. He is about 10 months old and has a great disposition! I am very pleased!

Phil will talk to you and answer all your questions no doubt! He will talk for hours about birds! He knows tons about Conures especially and will talk to you any day OR TIME! I would get definitively get another Conure from him! Him and his wife are very very nice people to deal with.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
From my experience with my birds, I bought 3 of them from breeders that I had never met and are now great friends.
I would talk at length to the breeder. If they can't be bothered, I would be a little unsure about them. Get some ideas of how they do everything concerning the bird, and make sure you agree with them.
When I was looking for my first bird, I called a breeder and we talked for about 3 hours on the phone and he was always there for questions, or just updates after I bought my ringneck.

OP
TurquoiseMel

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Just what I needed to hear. This all makes me feel so much better lol :D

I may go thru with it after all, now all I have to do is save up for my baby. I've got his/her entire cage set up already but I don't have the money to buy her yet lol. This cage will be a huuuuuge tease until the day comes. Pssh oh well, gotta love my enthusiasm right? lol

I thinking about getting on the phone with them soon (our convos have been email only up til now) & let them know the plan: that I'll buy from them, but it may be a while before I come up with the money. (Or maybe I should just contact them when I actually have the money???? I'm not sure) Everything I have now & that will be coming in soon will have to go towards these crazy (& I mean CRAZY) expensive college books for Sept -____________- *grumble grumble* ... Maybe if I call now tho they can put me on a list of some sort for the next turquoise babies? Idk, but I can't help but be excited! I've got names picked out and everything (narrowed it down to two), I've wanted a gc for so long. C':

Thanks everyone for your input !! It helped tons.

-Mel

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Yes you should get on their waiting list if they have one. Also if they are moving you should ask them where. I thought they were from New England and if they are going back they might pass through NJ and save you shipping!

Most Reactions