building a lovebird cage

dakotab619

Mar 3, 2013
NC
Parrots
i have 2 love birds
Hi I am wanting to build a lovebird cage and I would love any information and tips on how i should build it things i should use to build with and nice features to add to the cage any and all help will be greatly appreciated thanks:)

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Ambitious undertaking Dakota, but if you take the time to sit down and fully understand what is necessary to get from idea to layout to construction.....several years ago I had similar aspirations and even had a friend in the manufacturing community, where I could build just about whatever I wanted, but I gave up on the project as being too difficult.....

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I think for safety's sake, a store bought cage would be better suited. And honestly, probably cheaper in the long run.

I once had the great idea to build a chinchilla cage, and $300 later I ended up giving it away because the $150 from the store was so much better. :p

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What materials are you using to build the cage??? They're wood chewers so any wood material that they can get their beaks on, you can say good bye to the structure.

OP
D

dakotab619

Mar 3, 2013
NC
Parrots
i have 2 love birds
i was wanting to do something like this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1P9YNmY9VU]How to build a comfortable inside aviary for small parrots - YouTube[/ame]

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like I've said, when you leave exposed wood, they will chew the heck out of it! Another thing is that wire mesh should be made with stainless steel, they do sell that online. Another thing you could do is using plexiglass, that's how I made my walk in aviary years ago. My flight aviary I have now is made with plexiglass as well. You basically cover all the wood with plexiglass. When you drill plexiglass, make sure you have it laid flat before drilling and you need special drill bit or you will crack it. I used chains and hooks to attach swinging perches in different levels. I like my walk in aviary better as I can just walk right in and wipe everything down as the one I have now is a pain to clean since I can't walk in. The top of the aviary I used egg crate, stuffs that's used for commercial fluorescent lighting cover. Then I hang lighting above, it was really kewl. I wish I still had some pictures of it to show. It was not cheap to built! It was 8' tall, 5' wide, and 10' long. Maybe I'll build another one later on as I really starting to dislike the one I have as I can't really get everything as clean as I want it to.

OP
D

dakotab619

Mar 3, 2013
NC
Parrots
i have 2 love birds
thanks everyone for all the help you guy/girls are great thanks alot =D

Most Reactions

Latest posts