Cage Size for Eclectus

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Oh yeah one more thing,
Can u sleep with your parrot on the bed at night ?
What about when they need to poop and stuff.
I think that human saliva is dangerous to parrots and i drool sometimes so.
Can i still

Further on this, other than the dangers already pointed out, perhaps it is important to raise the issue of supervision. I personally wouldn't trust my two to be left completely unsupervised for too long (as in I wouldn't leave them out overnight or if I had to go out for a long time). Sure there are probably parrots out there that would get up to no mischief, but I don't need to try it, to know that my girl Pebbles would be the first one to get into something she shouldn't and Gizmo would not be too far behind:D.

I guess I sort of say this as a joke, but it's probably a very serious thing to realise if you are planing on getting a parrot. There are lots of things in a house that can be very dangerous for a parrot, so apart from potential damage, there is a serious risk of injury or even death.

This is not to say that I sit watching every move my two make, but I do supervise, even if from another room, say on the computer. Some may be able to allow their parrots free range of the house unsupervised, but although my two can go mostly anywhere in the house, they are never unsupervised for long.

Last edited:

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Can you sleep with your parrot vs SHOULD you---my first hand perspective

Wrangler had a plucking episode 2 months ago and pullled out most of his body feathers (chest/back/legs). While it is growing back, the cold temps rolled in before he got much of a down coat in so I brought him upstairs where it's warmer at night. He started sneezing so I brought him into bed and settled him on my chest and pulled the sheet over him to help trap his body heat---much like his missing feathers would--until he warmed up. He clearly liked it, I was thrilled that he would snuggle since he's usually a touch-me-not, and so the month of sleeping with me began. I wont give all the details, but Wrangler is now back downstairs in HIS cage, with a K&H heating pad.

Pro's: Great bonding for us, helped him through the grow-in period

Cons: Pissed my husband off. Spoiled the bird--realllly hard to backstep from it once you start. I didnt get much sleep. I couldnt really turn over with him on top of me, and yes once i did roll onto him a bit and got a loud squawk for it. Being constantly aware of where he is ruins a good nights sleep, not to mention the nights he chose to snuggle under my chin like a neck muffler, I overheated. (one night he did too!)

To address your pooping in bed question...only once. If I awakened or rolled over during the night I would always hand him up to his perch on the bedside table. As soon as he pooped he got to come back in. He got pretty good at doing his business within a few seconds. A few nights he held it all night. Having done it--i DONT recommend it at all and am relieved that we are back to having him downstairs. If he comes upstairs again, he'll have a sleeping cage, not a stand--to insure he doesnt join me but Im not planning on bringing him up unless its essential for his health.

Most Reactions