Cage size for Lesser Sulphur Crested

U2gal

May 20, 2013
What are these in inches? I'm sorry, I'm not too sure. 4cm per inch right? Or is it two?

Did a google on it and that's VERY TINY. 27"x20"

This is a cockatoo not a cockatiel !

:(

The 140cm of height is irrelevant. Length by width is important.

Poor birds going in a tiny cockatiel cage and not a big cage suit for its glory or size. He will barelly be able to move.:( This bird need 40inch wide by 30inch long. Thats 101cm WIDE x 76cm LONG.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Ok, I'm open to all opinions on this and I'm certainly happy to put more money toward a bigger cage, but do bear in mind that this cage is advertised by most sellers as being for African greys and smaller cockatoos, and is the one that was recommended to me by both a dealer and somebody who was there to give an unbiased opinion - so it's unfair to imply I'm being irresponsible in trying to make a decision about this.

As it is though, the likelihood is that I'll go back and change to a larger cage because I don't want to have any doubt in my mind that I might have made a mistake.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Most cage companies mislabel their cages. That cage is nowhere big enough for a grey, let alone a cockatoo.

Take a measuring tape and measure it out. You will see its just way too small. A wing span on a small cockatoo is close to 30". That's bigger then the entire cage. And a cage should be 2.5xs their wingspan. But you can get away with it being 1.5xs but that's still cramped. Which is why a 101cm wide and 76cm Long (height will probably need to be atleast 101cm) is important. A cockatoo/bird with 68cm wing span just won't be happy in anything small.

It will be able to barelly turn around. Cockatoos (and other large parrots) are very smart and active. That cage size is like us living in a closet barelly able to move. We can't lay or spread our arms but can stand as tall as we are. Would you be happy in it? How many hours would you want to stay in such a place? It may be a good place to sleep, but to live in? I know I wouldn't want to live or sleep in a closet and I know my birds don't either.

Last edited:

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
I don't mean to imply that you're irresponsible - on the contrary, and that you're coming on here not only asking for advice but also willing to take it to heart makes me very happy :)

However, I'm sorry to say that most breeders/sellers have no clue about cage size, and cage manufacturers know literally nothing! Even more sad us that most parrot owners seem equally clueless and have cages that are much too small for their birds (and then they wonder why their beloved bird developed issues).

My personal opinion is that a cage as small as 50x60cm would be too small even for my Meyer's. Our Ducorps has a cage roughly 1mx70cm (we were lucky and found a used Kings cage). Ideally, he should have a much bigger cage.

So, I really wouldn't recommend anything smaller. Montana Hacienda or Rainforest Santos (90x70 cm) are decent, assuming they get a lot of our if cage time, but bigger is better. :)

I can really recommend Kings cages, if you can afford them - they've got locks that our Ducorps can't open, lol! I'll have a look later and see which cage it is we have, I think it's the 401. The 501 would be better though :)

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
(I should perhaps mention that yes, some parrots have small cages and seem happy in them, because they're out of it a lot, but that still doesn't mean that's the cages are an acceptable size)

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Thanks riaria - it was more the other poster's comments about forcing a cockatoo into a cockatiel cage that got under my skin - but I know people on here are only trying to help and look out for the bird, so I shouldn't be getting oversensitive. It's really stressful when you're trying to figure out what is best for the bird, knowing that a mistake could have very negative consequences, and getting people who know a lot more than I do putting their conflicting opinions very forcefully.

Having already put a deposit down I'm really limited to what the store can provide in time for the bird coming home next week. I'm pretty sure the other option he had was the Berlin, which is gigantic and would require a fair bit of restructuring to accomodate but I'd rather that than take a risk on anything smaller. I'll check with the store that it's definately that one - and have a think as to whether the piano could live in the other room...

U2gal

May 20, 2013
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Its just the two the thought of a cockatoo in a small cockatiel cage sounds terrible as people actually do that kinda stuff intentionally:(

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I got this cage for my mini macaw (Hahns macaw)

Large Prevue Bird Cage - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

I never had a cockatoo (unless a cockatiel counts) but I heard they are active even when compared to other parrots. It may not as large as the big cockatoos (your bird would probably be about the size of a mini macaw). However bear in mind macaws have longer tails.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Mini macaws are a lot smaller than even the smallest of cockatoos. That cage is appropriate for a mini mac. Very nice cage! I say the next size up or the 40"x30" would be best for a small cockatoo.:)

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Tonks (Cockatiel), Sid, Johnny, Aussie (Lovebirds), Punky (Galah)
Can definitely say that cage suppliers haven't got a clue about what cage is good for what species...
My cockatiel is in a 'macaw' cage (according to the supplier) - its about 40cm wide x 40cm deep x 100cm tall :eek:
I have plans on getting a new cage for my 'tiel because its just too small (plenty tall enough for him, but oh so tiny in width!), I'd hate to see someone try to get a macaw into it just because they were told it was the right size by someone trying to make some money :/

It really makes no sense to me why suppliers do this though - wouldn't it make more sense to say they need the biggest cage, simply because they'd then make more money?!

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
The frustrating thing is I was looking at the Berlin, which is 100cm by 80cm (40" by 30" approx), and quite happy to spend the money, and both people I was with said it would be overkill for a Galah and talked me down to the smaller one.

The positive thing is, there may be a 'too small' but it doesn't appear there's such a thing as 'too big', so obvious thing is to go for the Berlin and not worry about it. A big box of toys and additional perches has just arrived in today's post (ok, I got a little bit carried away!) so a little extra hanging space seems like it might come in handy...

Most Reactions

Latest posts