Charlie is crazy with jealousy

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
Jim, maybe you should heed the above story regarding having 2 birds, before you get Amy a 'friend'. One of the reasons that Salty will always be an only. Just sayin'.

That is the advise given to me with BB. He was a rescue . 20 years old. Took me a year to gain his trust. AND him mine. But I have a huge fear of taking on another bird and loosing him So like yours he will remain a only child.

Nigel will be our only bird as well. It's truly a minefield to navigate when adding birds, as experience taught me. But I will definitely live vicariously through everyone else's experiences with their other species!

Well I certainly never planned on getting another one but loving Charlie the way I do kinda made it happen. When Paulie's owner couldn't keep him anymore what else could I say? I knew the situation that Charlie had been in and I could never let that happen to another bird! I also know that I will always have to be careful not to become a bird hoarder! I have my three and that is enough (for now):54:

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
OP, I feel for you - I'm sorry to say that I have the same problem with my YNA Sammy. It's not just other birds he's jealous of - it's my wife, too. If she comes into the room when I have Sammy on me, he attacks me, as he can't reach her. If he's on top of his cage, he'll fly across the room to attack her face - he is vicious and relentless in his attacks, showing NO signs in advance, and not giving up without someone intervening.

As I write this, I have a huge wound in the back of my neck. Sammy got mad last night when he was on my arm (he had just stepped up from his cage door), because my wife walked into the room. He ran up to my shoulder, and bit into my neck, piercing the muscle and nicking a tendon. It's so swollen that I can't move my head at all, and the pressure on the tendon prevents me from driving, so going to work isn't possible.

When Sammy bites me like this, he NEVER lets go until someone towels him & pries him loose. If no one is able to do this, the only way to get him loose is to shake him off, flinging him across the room in the process. He bites as deeply as he can, then shakes his head back & forth, trying to rip the piece out, like a shark sawing a piece out of a large tuna.

I've needed medical treatment for severe bites on several occasions in the past few months.

He's such a Jeckyl-and-Hyde bird that I just don't know that I'll ever be able to trust him to be handled any more. I've had him for two years (he's 12 now), and he used to be sweet & hand-friendly, most of the time.

Not anymore, though - he gets worse, every day. Any time I have him out, if he sees my wife, or another bird, he goes insane...he'll fly across the room to attack, and the face & eyes are his favorite target.

I'm afraid he'll have to spend the remainder of his life permanently caged, as I don't think I can ever trust him to be out of his cage again if there's anyone around. The consequences of him successfully attacking someone's eyes & blinding them are just too awful to contemplate. It's like living with a rabid dog.

Last edited:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Wow I'm so sorry about Sammy's biting! I know this is a way out there statement, but maybe a bird sanctuary is something that could work for him? I've never had to do it but have heard of it in cases like Sammy's for the benefit of the bird and owner. A better quality of life for everyone?

Just a thought.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
OP, I feel for you - I'm sorry to say that I have the same problem with my YNA Sammy. It's not just other birds he's jealous of - it's my wife, too. If she comes into the room when I have Sammy on me, he attacks me, as he can't reach her. If he's on top of his cage, he'll fly across the room to attack her face - he is vicious and relentless in his attacks, showing NO signs in advance, and not giving up without someone intervening.

As I write this, I have a huge wound in the back of my neck. Sammy got mad last night when he was on my arm (he had just stepped up from his cage door), because my wife walked into the room. He ran up to my shoulder, and bit into my neck, piercing the muscle and nicking a tendon. It's so swollen that I can't move my head at all, and the pressure on the tendon prevents me from driving, so going to work isn't possible.

When Sammy bites me like this, he NEVER lets go until someone towels him & pries him loose. If no one is able to do this, the only way to get him loose is to shake him off, flinging him across the room in the process. He bites as deeply as he can, then shakes his head back & forth, trying to rip the piece out, like a shark sawing a piece out of a large tuna.

I've needed medical treatment for severe bites on several occasions in the past few months.

He's such a Jeckyl-and-Hyde bird that I just don't know that I'll ever be able to trust him to be handled any more. I've had him for two years (he's 12 now), and he used to be sweet & hand-friendly, most of the time.

Not anymore, though - he gets worse, every day. Any time I have him out, if he sees my wife, or another bird, he goes insane...he'll fly across the room to attack, and the face & eyes are his favorite target.

I'm afraid he'll have to spend the remainder of his life permanently caged, as I don't think I can ever trust him to be out of his cage again if there's anyone around. The consequences of him successfully attacking someone's eyes & blinding them are just too awful to contemplate. It's like living with a rabid dog.

It looks like your wife needs to do some 'building trust' exercises on her own with him (in cage to start) as this is heading nowhere positive IMO.

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

WOW! I think the first thing I'd do is CLIP HIS ARMS! at least that'll give you time to prepare for his madness! That was one reason I rehomed Jonesy..Jeckyl/Hyde.. one minute kissy kissy lovey lovey..then CHOMP! and He did damage like Sammy..like Sammy he dug in sooo hard and would NOT let go..I instinctively had to shake my hand/arm and fling him across the room! It was not fair..to either of us.
Like I mentioned..I think I'd seriously think about clipping him..maybe he'll think twice about attacking. :eek:

Jim

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
I hadn't thought about that, but maybe it would reduce his confidence/dominance a little...

Most Reactions