corn on the cob

djdancer

Jan 7, 2013
Hi All. I know my conures love corn on the cob. My question is: Do I have to cook the corn first and how long can I leave it hanging in the cage before having to toss it in the trash?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
No, there's no reason you would have to cook fresh corn, though you would need to shuck it & remove all the silk so there's no chance of a bird possibly getting an impacted crop.....

As to how long it could hang in a cage, would probably depend on where you lived and how fast a cob would take for mold to develop.....in a hot dry climate, you might have a day or two, but in a hot moist climate, mold would probably develop in 24 hours, though, depending on how many & what size birds were eating from an ear of corn, there might not be any corn left on a cob, but mold could still develop on a moist, empty cop.....

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Mine love the fresh corn cobs! I put them in in the morning and remove in the early evening, to be on the safe side. I only put in a half one at a time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts