birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
So I'm starting to wonder whether Daisy is a Daisy or a Duke? :)

When we got Misty she was a cinnamon pearl and the lady said if she was a male she would lose the pearling after awhile - I also read this on several websights.

So with that being said Daisy was a pied pearl when I got her no solid grey all pearl. After her first molt she is now grey more basic pied looking. Also they say bars on the tail is a good indicator - I know Misty has lots of them. DAisy had several tail feathers with them when I got her, but all her new ones are solid pale yellow. SHe has one with bars left and it looks like it's fixing to fall off. Size wise she is SIGNIFICATLY larger than Misty and her crest is about twice as long. She is a lot more vocal and plays with her toys more than Misty has ever done.

I know DNA is the only sure way to tell but I was wondering if there was anything I could tell my looking at her any body differences between male and female or anything like that. opinons welcome.:)

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
My ex boyfriend had a cockatiel and I always heard that if the tail feathers are not barred, that almost always means that it is male...

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Uhh i think noise is the major factor in telling the gender without DNA. Males are alot louder than females. I dont think size is really a characteristic with birds and genders.

Also yes i heard the same from several people of what Minzer said. Look on the under part of his/her tail. If it has not markings then most likely its a male.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Gemini is more vocal than leo, will sing us lovely songs and imitate things, doorbell, etc. He also says a few words, And yep the tail is also a good indication.

Looks like Daisy could very well be Duke, Get ready for them babies. :eek: :D OOOOOOO won't Misty be happy. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Wonder if it'll be just us oldies who understands that?

(not that I do of course, you understand *cough cough*)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Far from it,

Didn't mean to imply that you were :eek: :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
yes she did... she did it because she doent want to be the only old fart on the site :p nice try Peta

:eek: Hey, how come I've gone from being an OLD 50+ to an OLD FART . :eek: :eek: :D

must admit I did have to laugh at that one.

I really wish I could think of something to say to that, but I can't at the moment. (TOO OLD.) :D

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
well she/he has like 1 feather left with barring and the rest don't. What was that trick about their bone structure Tex tried on Ham? She/he is HUGE like about the same size as Sidney. Once I have an idea then I'm sure I'll have more questions about babies - which I would LOVE to have.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I found this on a site:
People often ask me about sexing birds by palpating (feeling) the pelvic bones. Generally, a male's bones are more sharply pointed and closer together than those of a hen, which are usually more rounded.

But if the female has not laid eggs, then her bones will be closer together as well.... :confused:

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Kelli ... I can't help in this regard, but from the sounds of it, you just might have a Duke on your hands! :D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
:eek: Hey, how come I've gone from being an OLD 50+ to an OLD FART . :eek: :eek: :D

must admit I did have to laugh at that one.

I really wish I could think of something to say to that, but I can't at the moment. (TOO OLD.) :D

LOL LOL ... aha! So I'm older than indi and younger than Peta ... does that make me a Medium Fart? :eek:

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
ok so I am attaching some pictures to help us out. I wsa wondering Peta, and anyone else since you have a boy and a girl are there any differences you've noticed?

The first picture is one of Daisy before she started molting
kelli__2007

next is a comparison of her and Misty
kelli__2007

this is Misty's tail
kelli__2007

and Daisy's tail
kelli__2007

and here is Daisy at 5 months you can see how her wings have gotten darker and less pearled
kelli__2007

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I found this on a site:

But if the female has not laid eggs, then her bones will be closer together as well.... :confused:

That's the trick ... I talked to the vet about this trick and he said that it could be accurate if the hen has laid a few clutches, but in a younger hen who has not laid any eggs, it's not a guarantee ... BUT if there is a noticeable gap and she hasn't laid any eggs yet ... then you could have a little girl ...

~ Tex

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
The major difference is that Gemini will sing and Leo will only chirp, Gemini will talk (only a few words) Leo never has. I think its the sound of them more than anything else.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
I'd go with Peta on that one. Karools- he/she sings, whistles and talks, he/she runs to Rolie and puffs up with wings out and starts singing and talknig to her. Where Rolie- i cant remember her ever whistleling. Dont know, Rolie hasnt ever lain eggs before, but she does lay in her food dish and makes cute chirping sounds:p.

Most Reactions

Latest posts