Does anyone know what type of ecelectus I have?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wendy, your ekkies are gorgeous..That is a pic of your son's GF? I thought that was you, my beautiful friend:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is what I thought:) So nice to see a picture of you to brighten my day! And you totally look young enough to be your son's girlfriend's age:) I just recognized you from a pic of you on the Mugshot thread:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I honestly never did quite "get" the differences between the sub species...

I never got much beyond male and female, and bigger or smaller...

VOS - SI... assuming smaller was SI, and larger was VOS.

So my Eckie education is sorely lacking in this department, and this has been enlightening... and somewhat confusing at the same time.

For what ever reason, Eckies were a species that were very rarely dumped at the rescue.

When they were, it was either for plucking, or for seasonal aggression problems with the females.

Amazons, macaws, and Squawkitoos overfloweth... Eckie's not so much.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I don't know, Wendy. I hope you're right, of course, but unlike you I've met his brother/hatch mate. By the age of maybe three months his plumage was already immaculately groomed, every feather in place. He had already mastered that "fine hair" look for which ekkys are known. A true pretty boy, Wendy.

But Bixby? Ha! Not so much. Lol! But we chose him anyway. We loved his spunk!

Has Bixby had his first major molt yet? I truly do believe his feathers will get the hair-like super glow. :)

Here are a few pictures of Jasper & Gemma, the RS Eclectus I raised and cared for up until they were almost 3. :) (They are now both with a friend of mine, who dedicated an entire room for them, and yes, they are both fully flighted, too.)

Gemma

Hunter & Jasper (yes, they got along)

Jasper

My oldest son's GF with them (yup, they were very friendly with everyone :) )

Wow, Wendy! Those are truly some gorgeous birds! And well socialized, too.

And no, Bixby hasn't gone through his first major molt, yet. Though I suspect it has begun. I see a small patch of down feathers just below the nape of his neck, and his wing feathers look even more unruly than usual.

I hope you're right about his feathers getting the "hair-like super glow". (Love that description! Lol!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts