Does anyone know what type of ecelectus I have?

Darlene7

Aug 15, 2013
How do you tell what type of ecelectus you have?
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
100% definitely a male, and I believe he is a Solomon Island eclectus. Handsome little guy :) Does he have a name?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would say Solomon Island! Measure from head to tail as it would measure around 12" if it's a Solomon Island.

OP
D

Darlene7

Aug 15, 2013
Yes he is a male, his name is Ozzie he is nearly 2 years and says about 50 words. Quite a chatterbox he is. lol I think there are about 14 different species of the ecelectus parrot and was wondering which one he was.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I was thinking he looks bigger and because of the length and color on the tail that he maybe Vos or a Vos cross? Not sure though it is harder to tell with the boys. The length will tell us a lot as was said, measure him from head to the end of his tail.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Beautiful boy you've got there. :)

It would also help if we knew in which country you are located in order to "try" and identify the subspecies you have, as not all of them are available in the United States (as far as I know).

Here is a good guide. Check it out, and perhaps you'll find your answer:
The Eclectus Parrot - Graham Taylor (Australia)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Yes, I agree with the above post. Where you are located would help. In the US I believe there are only four that you see in the pet trade. Grands, Solomon, Red Sided and Vos.

Sadie13

Jan 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Mango Beak-Eclectus,
Red- CAG,
Opal- LSC2,
Porkchop- Yellow sided GCC
I would say Solomon Island! Measure from head to tail as it would measure around 12" if it's a Solomon Island.

wow, i had always thought my boy was an SI, now you have me questioning because he is about 14 inches! a lot bigger than my grey, i might be starting a post soon lol!

Whatever you have he is a very beautiful boy :) good luck identifying him!
this was always my go to but it doesn't have as much as jerseywendys link.
Land of Vos - Eclectus Species Profile

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
wow, i had always thought my boy was an SI, now you have me questioning because he is about 14 inches! a lot bigger than my grey, i might be starting a post soon lol!

Whatever you have he is a very beautiful boy :) good luck identifying him!
this was always my go to but it doesn't have as much as jerseywendys link.
Land of Vos - Eclectus Species Profile

At 14" he very well might be a Red Sided. :) There is also the Aru Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratus aruensis) which are even bigger than the Red Sided.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
After looking at more pics Wendy might have nailed it, your boy looks like a lot of the Aru pics. AruensisAruensis

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I meant to post this last night as this is very helpful to identify the types of eclectus as Males is very hard to identify just by looking. The reason why I said Solomon was because they're the smallest and most common and the primary feather almost reach the tail feathers. I did a ton of research when I first got my pair due to the guy telling me they were red sided. When I went to pickup I told the guy they're not red sided. After a ton of research I find they were Solomon. Here's the site that's gonna help! The Eclectus Parrot - Graham Taylor (Australia)

Tierhog

Jan 11, 2014
California
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
You have a gorgeous Vosmaeri Eclectus Male. He is the 2nd largest male Eclectus subspecies on the planet. More info could be provided from interior wing coloration, but I'd bet my life on it. Riedeli’s Eclectus have the same coloring, but aren't sold anywhere.

Originates from the larger islands of northern and central Moluccas, Indonesia, which includes the islands of Halmahera, Obi, Damar, Batjan, Mare, Morotai and Kayao. Possibly extinct on Ternate and Tidore.

My family had an Eclectus for almost 50 years. I have a CAG now, and he doesn't even come close to filling the void left by my Ekkie. You truly have the best parrot species on the planet. Take care of him (he looks superb!)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My family had an Eclectus for almost 50 years. I have a CAG now, and he doesn't even come close to filling the void left by my Ekkie. You truly have the best parrot species on the planet. Take care of him (he looks superb!)

Not that you're biased or anything... :D

Everyone has their favs! We won't debate that one.

Tierhog

Jan 11, 2014
California
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Given your descriptor Birdman, you are likely more qualified to determine better parrot choices.. Lol.

I have a weakness for Macaws too, but im clueless as to their care, etc.
I'm trying to warm up to my Cag. :)

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Looks like a SI to me. My Oliver is an SI but he seems might big to me (bigger than your Ozzie who is a few months older than Oliver) as well. Hmmmmm

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I did a lot of research on them when I first got them....seen just about every site....lol

Most Reactions