Emotional Support Parrots

angie_robyn

Nov 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Lilo: pineapple gcc
Re: Emotional Support Animals

Hi Stephen, it's very brave of you to share your experience. It goes to show what a great bunch of people are here on this forum! We all have a common love of our feathery friends, and are here to seek/give advice and support each other. It's good that you feel comfortable sharing what must have been a mortifying experience. It's good to hear about the actions of the police, they obviously acted in accordance with their training. Cops receive some sort of mental health training as it's something they are exposed to frequently. You could always consider contacting the officer and thanking him. I'm sure he'd appreciate it and believe me they don't get it enough. It's a tough and dangerous job. Yes definitely look into registering Kayleigh as an ESA. Especially if you think she helps you manage your condition. I hadn't heard of it before until I saw that video about the college student and his Goffins not long ago (it was posted recently). I don't think such a thing exists here.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird

I would suggest speaking to your health care provider and getting kyleigh registered 1000%.

You are so lucky you have the support you do and I would also send a note to the officer(s) for helping you.

Have you ever had an episode when you are with kyleigh? Do you feel you would ever endanger her? Or can she be trained to know when it's best to watch from afar? Animals are so perceptive. I saw on fb a woman having an aspergers episode and her dog kept going back at her to stop her from hitting herself and stayed until the woman sank down crying. (Who videos this stuff I do not know)

Best of luck keep us informed!

Btw NOBODY will judge. You are not alone. Mental illness is so common now that it isn't hidden like it used to be.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
You all are wonderful. I bring Kyleigh with me everywhere for more than socialization, but its a good cover up to mask the fact that I do not do very well in public - mainly grocery stores. I am not sure why grocery stores get to me, but they do...even small ones. If my wife is with me then I am okay, but sometimes it is inconvenient to wait until my wife comes home.

Kyleigh gives me a confidence that I dont have by myself. I dont even know how to explain it. I am sure some of you can relate. My psych already said he would sign off on it, but I am still getting past the embarassing portion of "having to have" an emotional support animal. Idk.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
..... but I am still getting past the embarassing portion of "having to have" an emotional support animal. Idk.

Nothing embarrassing about this at all, my friend! Think of it this way: YOU will feel better, Kyleigh will feel better taken out and about even more than usual, and lastly, you will be enriching other people's lives as well. It's a win-win situation all around!!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon

Stephen you're so brave to share your experience with others~ I have two animals of mine that would be great ESA's just because of the amount of confidence and sense of security they give me, but they are not out and about trained. I would love to have an ESA though.... and don't think of it as embarrassing in the slightest! I'm rather jealous you'd get to take her everywhere!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Stephen I don't mean this in a way to put pressure on you, but even though she's your ESA, you're helping other people by doing what you are. You are an amazing example to other people of what animals can do for people, and you can educate others, and hopefully through that, find your own strength. Someone like you might see what you're doing, and become braver because of the example you set, and that they could have an animal that does the same thing for them as Kyleigh does for you.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
You will not need to disclose to anyone she is an ESA. They have little "vests" for dogs so you could get one for her. It will state she is an ESA. No business has any right to ask any further.

I found this out as a man had his ESA dog in the restaurant and I truly was interested. He informed me I am not legally allowed to ask much of anything. I then tripped over my words embarrassed that I had crossed a line I didn't know existed. I was really just curious.

You are so lucky you have your wife who also gives you that confidence. But honestly, go for it with kyleigh.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
You all are so amazing. I cant think of another way to put it. Thank you all. I am beginning the processes now and definitely will be training kyleigh more and more to stay and remain calm in public. She does great already. The hardest part of a "mental illness" is the perception of the public. And I am upset that I furthered that opinion. Blah, I gotta kick myself in the rear and get going.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Stephen, I echo everyone who applauded your bravery in posting this, and I am so happy that this is a safe place, free to share with no judgement, only understanding.
I think it's a great idea to get Kyleigh registered as an ESA. I can only imagine the people who you two may help with your story.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You all are so amazing. I cant think of another way to put it. Thank you all. I am beginning the processes now and definitely will be training kyleigh more and more to stay and remain calm in public. She does great already. The hardest part of a "mental illness" is the perception of the public. And I am upset that I furthered that opinion. Blah, I gotta kick myself in the rear and get going.

No, you haven't. Please don't even think that. Ignorance is bliss with most people. More hugs to you!! XX

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Hey, Stephen. Just wanted to echo what most here have already said. There is nothing in this situation for which you need to feel embarrassed. Quite the opposite, in fact. Finding the courage to face squarely your condition rather than cowering before it is reason to be proud.

No one chooses the challenges with which they are born. What is up to each and every one of us, though, is how we choose to contend with those challenges. And it would appear to me, Stephen, that you have chosen rather well.

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw
I just wanted to reiterate, ESA's do not have access rights. So she will not be allowed to accompany you into the grocery store or anywhere else that regular pets are not allowed. Only Service Animals are granted access rights to these places.

Also, I believe they just amended the law to state that only canines can qualify as service animals. An ESA is not species limited but a true service animal, with all the rights and access, is limited to canines only.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I just wanted to reiterate, ESA's do not have access rights. So she will not be allowed to accompany you into the grocery store or anywhere else that regular pets are not allowed. Only Service Animals are granted access rights to these places.

Also, I believe they just amended the law to state that only canines can qualify as service animals. An ESA is not species limited but a true service animal, with all the rights and access, is limited to canines only.

You sure about this???? :54: Looks like this entirely depends on each store's policy because as you can see, Kyleigh IS allowed to accompany Stephen already. :)

Or.....

You can take the proper steps of socialization and have little kids feed them pine nuts. She also flew to him, which he thought was the best thing ever.

Right now I am taking her pretty much everywhere with me and having strangers feed her pine nuts and whatnot. I think it is better to have her given treats by people so she can equate treats to humans, rather than annoying hands that pet all over her. As they treat, I instruct them to slowly show her their hand and scratch the top of her head. My example is "Move your hands slowly, like when your in water." For people who seem afraid I either skip this step completely, or scratch her head and then have the other person join me.

IMG_9720_zpsz9wrlga5.jpg

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

Dogs, cats, miniature horses and pigs can all be registered as service animals for various health conditions, including but not limited to seizure detection, deafness, blindness, mobility, PTSD and even diabetics for glucose monitoring. Also including mental health disorders and autism spectrum disorders. The ADA doesn't formally recognize all types but it's mostly left up to the state level, there are programs for training many different types of service animals

While emotional support animals are considered in a different category than strictly service animals trained to perform a certain function (which is the defining characteristic that sets them apart from other classes of therapy animals) they are still somewhat "protected" by the ADA, and the only question that may be asked by an individual is "What service does this animal provide for you?" But you may not ask for any documentation on the animal.

Only if the animal is disruptive (within reason) may they be removed from a place of business, BUT, the business will usually suffer because of it. I don't agree entirely on it, but the whole system needs a revision. Yes, I believe there should be a uniform certification for a service animal, as well as the other types of therapy class animals, and protocol for ID's, and not freely giving them out to anyone, but it's a newer thing in the last 10 years or so that people have really taken advantage of the system.

Source: I was (still am really) a professional, certified dog trainer and have assisted in training many dogs to become service animals, emotional support animals, and therapy animals, as well as coming into contact with many other types of therapy animals like miniature pigs and cats.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Thanks again all. I have been to every major grocery store and have never had an issue with Kyleigh being there. Including the time management inside or Walmart took pictures with me. Birds do fall under ESA. ESA does not equate to service animal.

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
If an individual location would like to allow someone to bring their pet (or ESA) into the store that is perfectly acceptable. As in Stephen bringing Kyleigh into that store because he has prior permission to do so. But there are no access rights for emotional support animals. Period. That means a store can absolutely and unequivocally bar ESAs from entering and ask someone to leave if they enter with their ESA.

An emotional support animal belongs to a person who is disabled. The person's doctor has determined that the presence of the animal is necessary for the disabled person's mental health and written a prescription stating the pet is necessary in the person's home, despite any "no pets" regulation of the landlord, for the person's health. Little or no training is required. The owner of an emotional support animal has no more right than any other pet owner to take their emotional support animal with them other to keep one in a home where pets are not permitted or to fly with one in a cabin when pets are not permitted.
What are the differences between a service dog, an emotional support animal and a therapy dog? | Service Dog Central

Also, legally only dogs are recognized as service animals.
Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA.
Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

While there were mini horses and parrots and some other species working as Service Animals before the changes took effect and they may be grandfathered in all people now seeking a service animal are confined to a canine. There is no such species requirement for an ESA.

The confusion and disinformation on the difference between an SA and an ESA is a pretty big pet peeve of mine, both personally and professionally. There really isn't grey area, but many states and businesses choose to err on the side of caution for fear of the bad press and possible litigation if they get it wrong.

Last edited:

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
If an individual location would like to allow someone to bring their pet (or ESA) into the store that is perfectly acceptable. As in Stephen bringing Kyleigh into that store because he has prior permission to do so. But there are no access rights for emotional support animals. Period. That means a store can absolutely and unequivocally bar ESAs from entering and ask someone to leave if they enter with their ESA.

An emotional support animal belongs to a person who is disabled. The person's doctor has determined that the presence of the animal is necessary for the disabled person's mental health and written a prescription stating the pet is necessary in the person's home, despite any "no pets" regulation of the landlord, for the person's health. Little or no training is required. The owner of an emotional support animal has no more right than any other pet owner to take their emotional support animal with them other to keep one in a home where pets are not permitted or to fly with one in a cabin when pets are not permitted.
What are the differences between a service dog, an emotional support animal and a therapy dog? | Service Dog Central

Also, legally only dogs are recognized as service animals.
Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA.
Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

While there were mini horses and parrots and some other species working as Service Animals before the changes took effect and they may be grandfathered in all people now seeking a service animal are confined to a canine. There is no such species requirement for an ESA.

The confusion and disinformation on the difference between an SA and an ESA is a pretty big pet peeve of mine, both personally and professionally. There really isn't grey area, but many states and businesses choose to err on the side of caution for fear of the bad press and possible litigation if they get it wrong.

There was no confusion, bud. There's a difference to a store manager if I bring my parrot into the store for the heck of it..or if I bring her because I am able to focus and shop more. I never brought up any legal matters. I mentioned in an earlier post that I understood that.

But I appreciate your research and willingness to share it with us.

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
There was no confusion, bud. There's a difference to a store manager if I bring my parrot into the store for the heck of it..or if I bring her because I am able to focus and shop more. I never brought up any legal matters. I mentioned in an earlier post that I understood that.

But I appreciate your research and willingness to share it with us.

Yes, there is confusion. There are people posting on this thread saying that birds, cats, miniature horses, etc can be registered Service Animals. There are people in real life trying to present their birds as Service Animals....with the legal access rights afforded to them. There are people who cry foul when a store rightly asks them to leave because they are misinformed and under the impression that an ESA has the same rights as an SA.

I did not address any of my comments to you because you apparently have a grasp of the legal rights and the fundamental differences between these two classifications.

I acknowledged that you have prior permission to enter a store with your pet/ESA. But the fact remains that the store may actually be breaking the law by allowing you in. Which is of course dependent on local health codes. You would not be allowed in with your bird at ANY of the food serving or selling establishments in the two states I have lived in. The store would be running the risk of incurring large health code violations for having a NON-service animal (even one being utilized as an ESA) in a shopping area that sells and serves food.

If you were to move to a location where a store did not allow you in with your bird or if the management at the stores where you have permission to enter changed and the new management was not agreeable, you would have no legal recourse. This is important for you, but mostly for others reading and thinking about getting a bird as an SA to be aware of. You are apparently wanting Kyliegh to be able to go grocery shopping with you and while she can do so at the stores where you have permission, this access is not guaranteed and will not be universal. If you are needing the support of a Service Animal to go with you to public places where "pets" are not generally allowed (i.e. the supermarket or any food establishment) then it is important to be aware of what your legal rights are.

For what it's worth, if a Walmart in the US is allowing you to enter with you bird then they are breaking a very clear corporate policy that expressly states that "only Service Animals as recognized by the ADA are allowed into a store that serves or sells food, unless the animal is performing duties on behalf of law enforcement".

Most Reactions