Fake nails?

HouseFan711

Mar 1, 2015
NY
Are acrylic nails safe to wear around birds?
Will they think nail polish or fake nails are foreign and try to bite your nails if you don't wear them continuously?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Most definitely don't let your birds chew or lick acrylic, or even polished nails, but there is no problem handling a bird with acrylics, gels, or any synthetic nails. And of course, nail polish or remover should never be used around birds, but other than that you're ok. :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Don't let them chew on them. I have acrylic nails and Venus is fascinated by them and real nails. She likes to beak wrestle, so I play with her, lightly pushing her beak, she beaks my fingers, I push her away and she comes back for more. Light rough housing, and she chases my fingers.

Like Kalidasa said, the chemicals can hurt them. I don't polish mine, only buff them but there is still a danger. My biggest issue is if Venus tries to pull one off, it's not a convenient way, and it's painful. It took me a couple of weeks to get her to stop biting them or going for them. My other parrot could care less and isn't bothered by them.

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
You may get a weird "look" the first time they see you with "new nails", but as long as the nails are fully dry and they are not eating pieces of them, you are fine.

linda87

Jan 2, 2022
Parrots
Yes you can wear them. But you should go for polygel nails because if it seems weird to your birds and they bite them then you won't get hurt because acrylic nails are fake nail but polygel nails can be the extension of your natural nails so it will be safer to have poly gel nails than acrylic. And There are lot of stores that are selling poly gel nails you can buy from them and if you are worried about their removal process you can also search about how to remove poly gel nails and there will be alot of sites showed up.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts