Flapping Wings

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Why does Rumi sit on his perch and flap his wings repeatedly while looking out the window? While doing this, he often bobs up and down, moves from side to side, extends his head up, bobs his head, etc. He looks all excited about something, no idea what. He does this sometimes, just curious what its all about. He is not a clipped bird, btw.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
if he was a wild caught bird, it could be memory recall.....

nicki

Mar 26, 2013
Media
Dallas TX
Parrots
6 mo old Eclectus :)
Eko does this and fake attacks things, growling. The same thing you describe. I call it shadowboxing or he's playing with the ghost again. Its so cute <3 This is what I assumed it was anyways!

OP
C

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
He was bred in captivity, not wild caught. He doesn't usually make any sounds while doing this, but sometimes. I guess your bird does something similar Nicki! No idea what its about...

OP
C

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
That's funny. When Rumi begs, its very obvious. He makes a specific sound and looks at me, walks over to me, sticks his head pretty much in my food, etc. When he does the wing flapping thing, he has his back to me.

coltfire

Mar 24, 2013
Media
campbelltown
Parrots
eclectus parrots x 4
cockateils x 4
budgies x 22
lories x 2
babies all year round
he is just stretching his wings, how much time out does he get, this is a normal trait, if they are not getting to spread there wings enough also if he is looking out the window he prob see's another bird out there flying, its nothing to worry about just give him more time out if you can.

Most Reactions