For those of you that have owned multiple species..

OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I had experienced a budgie, cockatiel and green cheek conure as a child. I liked the green cheek conure the best (not saying I didn't like the budgie or cockatiel). I currently have a green cheek conure and am working on getting a min macaw.
Where are you considering getting your mini macaw and what species?

I've had:
lovebirds
budgies
a variety of finches
a variety of doves
cockatiels
a red headed conure
a goffin cockatoo

I had the best connection with one of the cockatiels. The cockatoo loved my father only. That being said, the cockatoo was still my favorite because it is a cooler species to me.
I am getting a Hahn's macaw this summer.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I had experienced a budgie, cockatiel and green cheek conure as a child. I liked the green cheek conure the best (not saying I didn't like the budgie or cockatiel). I currently have a green cheek conure and am working on getting a min macaw.

I've had:
lovebirds
budgies
a variety of finches
a variety of doves
cockatiels
a red headed conure
a goffin cockatoo

I had the best connection with one of the cockatiels. The cockatoo loved my father only. That being said, the cockatoo was still my favorite because it is a cooler species to me.

I am on a waiting list for a Hahns Macaw. The nearest breeder I found was the state next to the state I live. However, I am still keeping an eye out. Nothing is certain yet. Congradulations on your hahns macaw.

Last edited:
OP
psychocircus91
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

I've had:
lovebirds
budgies
a variety of finches
a variety of doves
cockatiels
a red headed conure
a goffin cockatoo

I am a waiting list for a Hahns Macaw. The closes breeder I found was the state next to the stae I live. However, I am still keeping an eye out. Nothing is certain yet. Congradulation on your hahns macaw.

Thanks, mine will actually be shipped when weaned. Kind of scary but most of what I have read says it's no problem, they're not kept with other luggage or anything, just with other pets, and the workers are very careful. The breeder is also keeping me updated with pictures.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)

I've had:
lovebirds
budgies
a variety of finches
a variety of doves
cockatiels
a red headed conure
a goffin cockatoo

I am on a waiting list for a Hahns Macaw. The nearest breeder I found was the state next to the state I live. However, I am still keeping an eye out. Nothing is certain yet. Congradulation on your hahns macaw.

Thanks, mine will actually be shipped when weaned. Kind of scary but most of what I have read says it's no problem, they're not kept with other luggage or anything, just with other pets, and the workers are very careful. The breeder is also keeping me updated with pictures.
It does seem a good amount of breeders will ship (and I agree that sounds scary). The breeder that I talked to does not have any babies right now but hopes to have some in the future. They of course do not accept any deposits till the babies are hatched, etc.

Richelle

Apr 14, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Parrots
Rizzy-turquoise green cheek conure

Lilou-Senegal
I've never owned a macaw. We did have a goffin cockatoo before though. What makes you say macaws are easier to care for?

IMHO,
1) I'd much rather clean five BIG macaw cages than one or two smaller finch type cages. I just think bigger cages are easier to work on from a maintenance point.

2) My 'Too is a LOT dustier than my Macaws. Cockatiels and Cockatoos have way more dander than any other bird I've ever kept.

3) My 'Too makes twice the mess throwing food and destroying more things than BOTH my macawa combined.

4) 'Too, IMHO, a a LOT more vocal than Macaws.

Just my observation and opinion.

My mom has a blue and gold macaw and he is something else. He screams everytime she walks in the room, leaves the room, talks on the phone or interacts with anyone. He throws food all over the place. It's everywhere from one side of the house to the other. Sometimes if he has an attitude and you give him a treat he'll throw it back at you. He always finds a way to destroy something even from inside the cage and boy he sure knows how to escape. My mom had to lock up the cage because he kept figuring out how to get out. He is a character but he's definitely a handfull and then some. It's like having a 3 year old with an bad attitude all the time lol.

Richelle

Apr 14, 2013
Wilmington, NC
Parrots
Rizzy-turquoise green cheek conure

Lilou-Senegal
I've had a budgie, cockatiels (whiteface/pied, cinnamon pearl, normal, lutino), green cheek conures (cinnamon, turquoise), and a sun conure and I want to get a senegal in the near future. My fav was my cinnamon green cheek Ping she was my baby :) I also grew up with a blue and gold macaw. Macaw's just aren't for me . . . they intimidate me because my mom has one who hates me and even though he's only been on me twice in his life and has been nice both times if my mom is around he is very aggressive towards me and has chased me (literally out of the room). I ran . . . I was afraid for my toes.

Tonkatiel

Banned
Banned
Apr 25, 2013
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Tonks (Cockatiel), Sid, Johnny, Aussie (Lovebirds), Punky (Galah)
I grew up with a Galah, lived with a Sulphur crested cockatoo for 2 years, and currently have a cockatiel and 3 lovebirds.

I LOVE my parents Galah, but he is very much bonded to my Mum and just puts up with everyone else coz he has to lol.

My flock aren't tame but I love them all the same, and am working on becoming closer to them.

My favourite, if I have to pick, would be the 'too I lived with. He became my best buddy straight away and we had a great relationship. Unfortunately he belonged to my ex, and when we split up he refused to allow me to take Cocky :(

Gyparrot

Jan 27, 2013
I have a peach face love bird, sun conure, grey and yelow crowned amazon!

Waiting to own a B&G macaw!

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
Cockatiels
Budgies
Rose Breast Cockatoo

Its so hard choose! Ugh, maybe RB2? Or cockatiel? IDK its their personalities that has got me in a twist, all beautiful, sweet. My budgie was more shy, quiet and sweet. My cockatiel was more adventurous, social and all ways the quick learner. My RB2 is more hilarious, ridiculous and obviously and hundred times more work being a cockatoo and all.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
We've had (or still have) cockatiels (wide variation in character from kissy/cuddly to "one person bird" bite everyone else hard) Eclectus- some variation in character our first would bite hard when cranky, present one only bites the wife:) Not a "cuddly" bird in my experience, they don't like to be touched anywhere but their beak or sometimes breast. Kakarikis- we disliked them, always hiding in weird places (often in my CD rack:)), hard to catch to put to bed, male became vicious to the extent he'd fly at my face. Lorikeet- terrific character, very playful and cuddly, quite loud, fair talker. Tends to be something of a bully (even bluffs a Little Corella and sometimes our eccy) and of course quite messy. Plus they require special food.

Princess parrot, ours is a "special case" as he is one of three different birds given to us to hand-raise with two as keepers with the intention that this guy went back to the breeder, but he has a deformed beak and can't eat seed. A real character, not cuddly at all (hates to be touched except for beak or breast) and something of a bully towards smaller birds (despite the lack of a "hook"). He even surprised our eccy by rushing at him with beak open but we don't normally have them out at the same time. He's called Kermit because with his beak he looked like a frog. Highly amusing antics both in and out of cage and he's the only bird we have who will look us straight in the eye. Very messy, especially with his diet of powdered pellets made into a paste. He'll drop a messy load on a table or benchtop then walk through it or spread it around with his (very long) tail.

I had an African lovebird years ago and he was a great character, unstoppable chewer, I used to have to fight him for the newspaper, and he loved pulling out the ends on biros (the little plug at the top). Lastly, we have a Plumhead, not cuddly, very fast flyer, easy to feed although continually fouling water with its seed. Interesting character although another paper chewer and something of a bully too, but never uses its beak (on other birds or us) although it can be mildly discomforting when it uses its beak to climb from shoulder to head via the ear:)

Of all our birds I think cockatiels are great, but they do vary widely in character so it's hard to generalise. We also have a (newish) budgie and he has been a revelation- huge character, very fast learner (talking) and a joy to own. The only ones I wouldn't own again would be the 'rikis.

Last edited:

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
Well I have owned many budgies before, and Its clear I have a few Cockatoos, and if its not already clear enough, Cockatoos of all types are my favourite. I don't know if this counts, but at work, we have over 50 species of parrots. So I have a hell of a lot of experience working with both hand raised and aviary types of all these species. Of course Cockatoos are by far my favourite species, but I must say Lorikeets and Eccys are awesome. We've also had quite a few Macaws come through and they're all so awesome to work with. However on the other hand Lovebirds, specifically Aviary Lovebirds can be quite annoying to work with. They are smart, if not correctly locked away they can easily work out ways to escape. Crafty little things. They also tend to be far from "love" birds when it come to each individual sub species. In a large aviary, when each sub species are in numbers they are fine, but I remember one lady came in and bought all but one of the Lutino Lovebirds. The Peachfaced Masked Lovebirds unfortunately started picking on the poor Lutino. Sorry to those who love Lovebirds, I hear the Handraised ones are really nice but in my experiences, the aviary ones are probably my least favourite species. Just had to get that out there, sorry. :)

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
I've owned a Peachface in the past but won't have one now in our mixed flock as they're "leg-biters". When I had Toto (he was given to my daughter as I was moving to an offshore island- he was a "prohibited import". She promptly let him escape) I took him to a friend who had quarrions- Toto sidled up to them and tried to bite their legs!

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I've had budgies, tiels, IRNs, and an alexandrine. My favorite have been my IRNs, but I only have the alexandrine now. Really, I think the Alex would be most people's favorite: he's house trained, super gentle, doesn't scream, doesn't destroy things, etc. I just really loved how smart my IRNs were, even if one was arguably evil.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I have had lovebirds (1 special needs bird years ago, and now my daughter has a lovebird), cockatiels, GCC, and IRN's... while I would never let Pippin hear me say it, Wilbur (my GCC) was the best of them all... he was cuddly, smart, social, beautiful...

I do (and did) love all the birds, but GCC do have a special place in my heart...

I have to laugh at Mike17's comment about leg biters... Gemma and Wilbur were the best of friends, but she used to chew on his legs ALL the time. He was very tolerant, but when he'd had enough he would kick her, sideways :D then she'd sit on his tail, he'd roll over and kick her again.... they were a lot of fun to watch together!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Well iv had GCC, teil, and budgies. My fave is the GCC is because they are cute, cuddly, funny, playful, and like to give kisses. :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts