Freaking out!! URGENT!!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
OMG... I really miss Coconut. Even though I have Rascal at home the house feels very empty without Coconut. I really love him.... be better be ok!!!!!! :( He is such a special bird.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Hugs. The waiting is hard. We had Charlotte at the emergency vet Thursday night and had the choice of bringing her home or leaving her there overnight. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her so we brought her home. Hopefully you'll be able to bring Coconut home soon.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Hugs. The waiting is hard. We had Charlotte at the emergency vet Thursday night and had the choice of bringing her home or leaving her there overnight. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her so we brought her home. Hopefully you'll be able to bring Coconut home soon.

The vet said she wants to keep Coconut until tomorrow night. The clinic closes at 6pm... so I'm hoping he doesn't have to stay yet another night since they close 6pm. All that matters is he is OK =( ... and that this NEVER happens again!! :(

I never had any of these problems with Rascal. Rascal learned how to fly VERY quickly without ever being any issues. He NEVER used to fly into things. Coconut is much younger than Rascal was though... but I was so proud of Coconut as he was really learning to fly safely as he started to NOT fly into things anymore at all. They really are very fast learners.

He improved a LOT just in the past couple of days... but then Rascal spooked Coocnut... and all thinking and cautious flying went out the window. You know when they are in spook mode.. they are nuts. That's not something Coconut is experienced enough to handle.

Last edited:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Just so that you have a positive story to think about too: my parrotlet once bonked her head so hard that she kind of flapped and spun on the floor and then was completely stunned. We rushed her to the vet (I carried her in my hands) where she perked up a bit. She was examined, given steroids (I believe) and then I had meds to give her for a few days afterwards. She was absolutely fine after this and recovered with no problems. So I am very hopeful for Coconut! You got him into the vet quickly, he was acting fine afterwards, and he's a tough little guy! Sending positive vibes your way :) so tough to have our birdies in trouble.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The problem here is not that Coconut's wings are unclipped. The problem is that Coconut was NEVER able to fledge... the breeder butchered his wings so short he would drop like a rock (Coconut is about 4 or 5 months old). Rascal is VERY experienced at flying.. I would NEVER ever clip Rascal's wings for multiple reasons.

People should bird proof their house... not bird proof the bird.

I wonder if doing a partial clip on Coconut for now to slow him down will help? I am VERY worried to prevent this from happening again. I simply do NOT trust Coconut's flying skills. I am EXTREMELY angry the breeder butcherd his wings off. Coconut NEVER even had a chance to fledge!

I never expected to like the new tiel so much as I 100% ONLY got a second tiel because I wanted to get Rascal a friend as Rascal HATES being alone. I REALLY wanted to get a GCC but got another tiel instead for Rascal. Turns out "alone" means... when I'm not with him. Rascal could not care less about Coconut... they don't even like each other... but I REALLY love Coconut.

I am VERY happy I got Coconut even though Rascal couldn't care less. I am obesessed with Coconut... he is the most AWESOME bird ever. I feel very fortunate to have found Coconut. Even if Rascal hates him... I LOVE Coconut very much and wouldn't change a thing... ironically I made right decision getting a second tiel.

The vet said she wants to keep Coconut until tomorrow night. The clinic closes at 6pm... so I'm hoping he doesn't have to stay yet another night since they close 6pm. All that matters is he is OK =( ... and that this NEVER happens again!! :(

I never had any of these problems with Rascal. Rascal learned how to fly VERY quickly without ever being any issues. He NEVER used to fly into things. Coconut is much younger than Rascal was though... but I was so proud of Coconut as he was really learning to fly safely as he started to NOT fly into things anymore at all. They really are very fast learners.

He improved a LOT just in the past couple of days... but then Rascal spooked Coocnut... and all thinking and cautious flying went out the window. You know when they are in spook mode.. they are nuts. That's not something Coconut is experienced enough to handle.

I hope Coconut completely recovers without a trace of injury. Rascal and Coconut have clearly different temperaments and abilities. No need to debate wing clipping, but you seem aware that temporary adjustments to their flight capabilities may help Coconut "catch up" with Rascal.

Coconut's breeder may have shortchanged him, but may I suggest "bird proofing the home" involves making changes to how they interact. While you originally purchased Coconut for the benefit of Rascal, their willingness to bond is unpredictable. You clearly love them both, and may have to restrict their time together until they are both adults. Another angle is potential jealousy; has your affection and time been roughly equally divided?

The safety of your fids is paramount, and the decision to seek vet care is commendable. The difference between a superficial and serious injury can be difficult, but the OP pic of Coconut was alarming. Hope he is healed by now!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Just so that you have a positive story to think about too: my parrotlet once bonked her head so hard that she kind of flapped and spun on the floor and then was completely stunned. We rushed her to the vet (I carried her in my hands) where she perked up a bit. She was examined, given steroids (I believe) and then I had meds to give her for a few days afterwards. She was absolutely fine after this and recovered with no problems. So I am very hopeful for Coconut! You got him into the vet quickly, he was acting fine afterwards, and he's a tough little guy! Sending positive vibes your way :) so tough to have our birdies in trouble.

Thanks, your post helps me think more positive :)
Coconut appears to have "scraped off" the top layer of skin when he hit so it was red underneath... but it was not bleeding extrenally... hoping nothing internal was! What really aggravates me is that I didn't see it happen. I wish I saw what and how he hit exactly.... I suspect it might have been that grey "marble looking"" slab shown in picture... not good!

I just threw it into the trash. That used to be the window sill.... this house is being renovated in the future... when I can hopefully afford to that is.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
The problem here is not that Coconut's wings are unclipped. The problem is that Coconut was NEVER able to fledge... the breeder butchered his wings so short he would drop like a rock (Coconut is about 4 or 5 months old). Rascal is VERY experienced at flying.. I would NEVER ever clip Rascal's wings for multiple reasons.

People should bird proof their house... not bird proof the bird.

I wonder if doing a partial clip on Coconut for now to slow him down will help? I am VERY worried to prevent this from happening again. I simply do NOT trust Coconut's flying skills. I am EXTREMELY angry the breeder butcherd his wings off. Coconut NEVER even had a chance to fledge!

I never expected to like the new tiel so much as I 100% ONLY got a second tiel because I wanted to get Rascal a friend as Rascal HATES being alone. I REALLY wanted to get a GCC but got another tiel instead for Rascal. Turns out "alone" means... when I'm not with him. Rascal could not care less about Coconut... they don't even like each other... but I REALLY love Coconut.

I am VERY happy I got Coconut even though Rascal couldn't care less. I am obesessed with Coconut... he is the most AWESOME bird ever. I feel very fortunate to have found Coconut. Even if Rascal hates him... I LOVE Coconut very much and wouldn't change a thing... ironically I made right decision getting a second tiel.

I hope Coconut completely recovers without a trace of injury. Rascal and Coconut have clearly different temperaments and abilities. No need to debate wing clipping, but you seem aware that temporary adjustments to their flight capabilities may help Coconut "catch up" with Rascal.

Coconut's breeder may have shortchanged him, but may I suggest "bird proofing the home" involves making changes to how they interact. While you originally purchased Coconut for the benefit of Rascal, their willingness to bond is unpredictable. You clearly love them both, and may have to restrict their time together until they are both adults. Another angle is potential jealousy; has your affection and time been roughly equally divided?

The safety of your fids is paramount, and the decision to seek vet care is commendable. The difference between a superficial and serious injury can be difficult, but the OP pic of Coconut was alarming. Hope he is healed by now!!

OMG... now I am very worried again. Are you referring to the pic I posted of Coconut's injury? Ignore the fact that his eyes were half closed in that pic as that made him look very ill.... or are you referring to what his actual nose looked like? Is it his nose specifically that looks alarming to you?

Rascal gets the EXACT same amount of attention he always. That hasn't changed at all. He's always sitting on my thigh as I work all day on computer whereas Coconut prefers to sit on my shoulder.

... but I am worried why you say that photo was alarming to you? I hope it's only because he looked sickly since his eyes were half closed in the pic? He wasn't like that in real life... he was acting 100% normal in real life... but did cry in pain right after it happened.... then he acted normal thereafter playing with toys and being hyperactive usual self.

But yes... I need to figure out how to slow down Coconut's flying for now. When Coconut is on the floor he CANNOT fly at all.... he can't get any lift because his flight feathers have not fully grown in enough to allow him to be able to fly upwards from the ground at all. This is another reason why this accident happened. Coconut can't fly properly yet... very dangerous.... because he doesn't have the needed control and ability.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Here is another pic of Coconut's injury... it was tough to get photo because he wouldn't stay still. I hope this looks less alarming? :( I don't know how he managed that but it almost looks like he hit corner of his face... I just HOPE it wasn't in that tile slab! It looks as though the skin split... no external bleeding at all though.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
If you don't want to clip him, just work with him in a smaller room. When I had Bixby he hadn't been allowed to fledge, either. He'd only weaned at 4 months, and he hadn't been allowed to fly in that time.

So once I got him home, I used 2 adjustable height training perches in a small bedroom to work on his flight skills. He thumped into walls here and there initially, but eventually his flight skills grew. I gave him flight drills of varying difficulty. High perch to low. Low perch to high. Flying in at angles. Making turns.

And once I was satisfied that his skills were up to par, I brought him out into the rest of the house. He was never clipped.

The decision is a personal one, and only you can decide what's best for your bird, but I thought I'd give you an alternative take.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
If you don't want to clip him, just work with him in a smaller room. When I had Bixby he hadn't been allowed to fledge, either. He'd only weaned at 4 months, and he hadn't been allowed to fly in that time.

So once I got him home, I used 2 adjustable height training perches in a small bedroom to work on his flight skills. He thumped into walls here and there initially, but eventually his flight skills grew. I gave him flight drills of varying difficulty. High perch to low. Low perch to high. Flying in at angles. Making turns.

And once I was satisfied that his skills were up to par, I brought him out into the rest of the house. He was never clipped.

The decision is a personal one, and only you can decide what's best for your bird, but I thought I'd give you an alternative take.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That's a good idea thanks. I was sort of doing that but in the living room... I had him keep flying to the perch on top of the cage. He very quickly learned to always fly onto that perch. He would also steer away from the wall and blinds making HUGE improvement... that is until Rascal spooked him :( He also knows to not fly into mirrors. Trust me, compared to how he used to be there has been huge improvements.

I simply can't have Rascal out when Coconut is.. it's far too risky. I will have to help teach Coconut flying skills as you mentioned.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
The house is soooo super quiet without Coconut here it's depressing (Rascal is a mute who sleeps nonstop!). I hate it... don't know how I lived before I got Coconut! I keep looking at the little spot Coconut always sits and sings for me but he's not here :(

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I too hope that Coconut is okay and that your visit to the vet confirms that all is well. Accidents can happen whether birds are flighted or not Tropical Im just sorry that you went through this and that it happened to poor Coconut. Hopefully all will be well. Sending lots of well wishes and prayers Coconuts way

It's always safest to get a professional opinion, everyone has been right so far in saying that parrots hide their symptoms very well.

I think I got here a little late and you are probably at the vet already as I write this, but here is what I suggest you do (in the event that you are unable to get him to a vet right away).

Put him low to the ground in a calm quite room, preferably in his cage. Let him cool down, even mist him a little with a fine mist spray bottle. Point the nozzle into the air and let the mist fall down on him like rain. This will cool and calm him as well as rinsing some of that blood away from the nares.

If he is acting fine, and if you have rinsed the damaged area and see no serious injury, chances are he will okay in a few minutes. But yes, it is always a good idea to check with your vet.

For future prevention: I know this may go against everything you believe as a bird owner...but... I suggest that you clip your birds wings. Unless a bird lives in a large aviary or is flight trained by an expert, it is simply unsafe to keep your pet birds flighted. This is experience is the perfect example. I'm not saying that birds can't live perfectly safe and happy lives if they are fully flighted indoors, because the absolutely can. What I AM saying is that the bird owner needs to be willing to accept that risk of injury, loosing your bird, or even death increases by 200% (or more) if they choose to keep their birds flighted.

I'm not concerned with any moral debate of what is 'right or wrong' when it comes to the topic of flighted vs clipped. My point of discussion with bird owners is simply safety vs risk.

Another important point is that, contrary to popular opinion, wing clipping doesn't have to reduce the happiness of your bird. Most bird groomers over clip birds which makes them drop out of the sky like a stone. That is not what I am suggesting here at all.

I suggest a baby clip. This means only trimming 2 - 4 of the primary flight feathers (never touching the secondaries or back feathers needed for balance). This will give them the ability to still 'fly' but reduce the speed and height at which they can do so. Simply put, they wont hit things as hard (or at all) if they do get spooked like your experience today AND in the event that someone accidentally leaves a door or window open (heaven forbid), your precious feather babies wont get to far.

I hope this was helpful,

If you (or anyone) has any questions about this or similar bird topics I am more that happy to help if I can.

I hope coconut is feeling better already, all the best.

Leigh

My Birds House
logo.png

I have to disagree with you about clipping birds wings. I have seen many birds have accidents after clips both good clips and bad for even with the sort of clip you reccommend the bird is left vulnerable and cannot get away from a preditor should one accidently get into the home or indeed if the bird accidently got out. Also clipped birds do not get the exercise that flighted birds do and are more prone to health problems for that reason. Also after having taught many birds who had suffered a clip before fledging to fly I have to say that I have never yet had a bird have an accident where it injured itself while learning to fly. Sure you have to take precautions while they find their wings and learn how to fly. Tropical had taken precautions to heĺp keep Coconut safe this was a freak accident that could have happened even in an aviary for when one bird spooks all birds spook its the nature of the flock alarm...much as we would like we cant protect them from everything. I have seen birds die un necessarily because their wings were clipped...one who fell from its perch and broke its neck after a bad clip and others who couldnt get away from danger because they couldnt get enough height into their flight when a window broke and a feral cat got through the bird screen and into the room where they played . Clipping a birds wings does not protect them. Im sorry but I have to disagree with you on this point.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I just got home... the vet was not at the clinic... some young girl was there who did not know how to do ANYTHING. I was the one who had to weigh Coconut and she did not know how to administer medication to the bird via a syringe. I had to do it myself... there was metacam in the syringe.

This young girl then told me the vet won't even see Coconut until tomorrow. I was like WHAT!!!?????

Then she handed me the phone and the vet claims she will see Coconut today.

I got stuck with a $670 bill!!!! This is the same vet who charged me $5,100 when I had emergency with Rascal 2 years ago. The other emergency vet never bothered to get back to me after I missed her call the first time and called her back... so I had to go to this vet.

I REALLY love Coconut and just hope he's ok... is honestly just looks like a superficial scrape on his nostril area... but the fact he was reallly crying after he got the injure is what has me nervous.

NEVER again will Rascal be outside the cage with Coconut. Coconut needs to learn how to properly fly and he has impoved TREMENDOUSLY. He TOPPD fying into the blinds... never flys into mirrors anymore etc. They are very fast learners.

The problem here is the fact that Rascal spooked and got Coconut spooked as well... Rascal is perfectly fine flying when he spooks... but Coconut is DEFINITELY NOT.

Hopefully all will be well for little Coconut and you will soon have him home again . Lots of well wishes sent his way and hugs sent your way too

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I just rushed over to the clinic to check on Coconut. I got to clinic 30 minutes before they opened because the young girl yesterday told me they open at 8 a.m. but they really open at 8:30 a.m.

luckily another person was there and let me in and I got to see coconut. I was shaking like a leaf with anixety when I got to the clinic LOL I was expecting to see a bird lying on its back with its legs up in the air.

thankfully coconut is acting perfectly normal and is also eating so I am hoping I get to bring him home tonight but the vet might want to keep him yet another night which I think is not beneficial and just very stressful to him.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Yeah, Take him to a vet. I had a friend who had his budgie fly into a wall. I t seemed fine until two week later when it started bleeding and the vet said that it was too far gone. :(

OMG! Now you really have me MUCH more worried! Was the budgie bleeding at all anywhere? OMG. You mean he started beelding two weeks after the injry? Or was bleeding internally in his head? OMG :( You really have me worried now.

I am sooo sorry this has happened! I just wanted to add my support, and mention that most likely everything will be fine. YES, birds are extremely fragile, but with proper care and treatment they are SO much stronger than we think. If that makes any sense.

The post that you quoted would have made me worried as well! But in all reality, we can't be sure if that budgie had died because of the injury, or something else entirely.

I understand how you feel. Kiko is an AMAZING flyer, however, he cannot land quite well. He can fly, and fly, and fly, but he has trouble lowering himself if his perch is three feet below him. I have had an incidence or two where he has laded on the floor, or he landed on something else near the floor.

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Here is another pic of Coconut's injury... it was tough to get photo because he wouldn't stay still. I hope this looks less alarming? :( I don't know how he managed that but it almost looks like he hit corner of his face... I just HOPE it wasn't in that tile slab! It looks as though the skin split... no external bleeding at all though.

The first photo seemed to look like he was bleeding from his nose, but with this photo, I can see the scrape, and I believe the bleeding is caused by that scrape around his nares. So personally, I wouldn't be worried necessarily with that, but I would be worried that there could be a different injury, internally. Though chances are he truly is fine, and nothing is wrong with him whatsoever. ^^ Just a little scrape.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OMG... now I am very worried again. Are you referring to the pic I posted of Coconut's injury? Ignore the fact that his eyes were half closed in that pic as that made him look very ill.... or are you referring to what his actual nose looked like? Is it his nose specifically that looks alarming to you?

Rascal gets the EXACT same amount of attention he always. That hasn't changed at all. He's always sitting on my thigh as I work all day on computer whereas Coconut prefers to sit on my shoulder.

... but I am worried why you say that photo was alarming to you? I hope it's only because he looked sickly since his eyes were half closed in the pic? He wasn't like that in real life... he was acting 100% normal in real life... but did cry in pain right after it happened.... then he acted normal thereafter playing with toys and being hyperactive usual self.

But yes... I need to figure out how to slow down Coconut's flying for now. When Coconut is on the floor he CANNOT fly at all.... he can't get any lift because his flight feathers have not fully grown in enough to allow him to be able to fly upwards from the ground at all. This is another reason why this accident happened. Coconut can't fly properly yet... very dangerous.... because he doesn't have the needed control and ability.

The pic in the OP was the only one used to describe the injury, so yes, my reaction was based upon the closed eye and inflamed nostril. Taken in context with the injury, it appeared dramatic. If it was an aberration or taken when he naturally closed the eye, perhaps not so stunning.

Thankfully he has improved, and you have some great ideas to equalize their flying abilities. I hope over time, particularly as Coconut matures, they will find a common ground and become friends!

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I am very unhappy with what I'm finding out in regards to his care. This is not an avian clinic... so the young girls there are clueless, I am sorry but they are when it comes to birds at least (the avian vet is not there all the time... only visits that clinic for emgencies). One confessed Coconut was in PITCH DARK the entire night and the other yesterday didn't even know how to give him meds via syringe I had to do it. This is a recipe of disaster. The last thing I need is him having night frights and thrashing in the incubator hitting his head because some moron left a bird in PITCH DARK. I am very displeased. At home he is NEVER in the dark... the room is light and I just place towel to cover cage and he knows it is sleepy time. I can only imagine his terror.... he was terrified when I saw him today... he was acting normal but very very scared.

Then the girl tried to weigh Coconut without placing him in a box... I was standing there like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? Coconut would have immediately flewn off the scale and smash into the dog crates in the clinic because the incubator is kept in same room where the dogs and cats are kept in cages right next to the incubator. I made sure they understand bird MUST be placed into box and then placed on scale. The second any stranger reaches for Coconut he starts thrashing. He is terrified of strangers.

I do not feel comfortable leaving Coconut there another night. This vet also gave him food which he has never eaten before... you CANNOT just suddenly switch a bird's diet like that!!! It must be done gradually. He has lost over 6 grams so far... I am not surprised because he didn't eat all day yesterday and is extremely stressed.... and on top of that was given nutriberries as his only food... he does not eat nutriberries!

I need to bring Coconut home today. I will find out what meds he needs but there is no reason for him to stay in that stressful environment for yet another yet. The poor bird cannot be kept in pitch dark!

What would you do???? I am REALLY not comfortable with him being kept there for yet another night.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
I am very unhappy with what I'm finding out in regards to his care. This is not an avian clinic... so the young girls there are clueless, I am sorry but they are when it comes to birds at least (the avian vet is not there all the time... only visits that clinic for emgencies). One confessed Coconut was in PITCH DARK the entire night and the other yesterday didn't even know how to give him meds via syringe I had to do it. This is a recipe of disaster. The last thing I need is him having night frights and thrashing in the incubator hitting his head because some moron left a bird in PITCH DARK. I am very displeased. At home he is NEVER in the dark... the room is light and I just place towel to cover cage and he knows it is sleepy time. I can only imagine his terror.... he was terrified when I saw him today... he was acting normal but very very scared.

Then the girl tried to weigh Coconut without placing him in a box... I was standing there like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? Coconut would have immediately flewn off the scale and smash into the dog crates in the clinic because the incubator is kept in same room where the dogs and cats are kept in cages right next to the incubator. I made sure they understand bird MUST be placed into box and then placed on scale. The second any stranger reaches for Coconut he starts thrashing. He is terrified of strangers.

I do not feel comfortable leaving Coconut there another night. This vet also gave him food which he has never eaten before... you CANNOT just suddenly switch a bird's diet like that!!! It must be done gradually. He has lost over 6 grams so far... I am not surprised because he didn't eat all day yesterday and is extremely stressed.... and on top of that was given nutriberries as his only food... he does not eat nutriberries!

I need to bring Coconut home today. I will find out what meds he needs but there is no reason for him to stay in that stressful environment for yet another yet. The poor bird cannot be kept in pitch dark!

What would you do???? I am REALLY not comfortable with him being kept there for yet another night.

Glad Coconut is eating and drinking and behaving normally and mot showing any ill effects after his crash against the wall...I dont know what to say to you with regard to bringing him home so I will leave that response to those who may know more than I do about this vet and his clinic but from what you say and have observed its not an ideal clinic to say the least. I hope you get to bring Covonut home soon and Im so happy to hear that he seems okay.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I really need to find a decent avian clinic. I don't think it's wise to take a bird to a clinic that only handles dogs and cats and does not have a full time avian vet on staff and without techs who are educated on avian care. The young girl who was there yesterday was just a volunteer!! She couldn't even properly give Coconut meds via syringe and then left him in pitch dark entire night I am very upset!!! :(

I was in such hurry the other vet never called me back... so I took him where I could go fastest.

Last edited:

Most Reactions