Freaking out!! URGENT!!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am very unhappy with what I'm finding out in regards to his care. This is not an avian clinic... so the young girls there are clueless, I am sorry but they are when it comes to birds at least (the avian vet is not there all the time... only visits that clinic for emgencies). One confessed Coconut was in PITCH DARK the entire night and the other yesterday didn't even know how to give him meds via syringe I had to do it. This is a recipe of disaster. The last thing I need is him having night frights and thrashing in the incubator hitting his head because some moron left a bird in PITCH DARK. I am very displeased. At home he is NEVER in the dark... the room is light and I just place towel to cover cage and he knows it is sleepy time. I can only imagine his terror.... he was terrified when I saw him today... he was acting normal but very very scared.

Then the girl tried to weigh Coconut without placing him in a box... I was standing there like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? Coconut would have immediately flewn off the scale and smash into the dog crates in the clinic because the incubator is kept in same room where the dogs and cats are kept in cages right next to the incubator. I made sure they understand bird MUST be placed into box and then placed on scale. The second any stranger reaches for Coconut he starts thrashing. He is terrified of strangers.

I do not feel comfortable leaving Coconut there another night. This vet also gave him food which he has never eaten before... you CANNOT just suddenly switch a bird's diet like that!!! It must be done gradually. He has lost over 6 grams so far... I am not surprised because he didn't eat all day yesterday and is extremely stressed.... and on top of that was given nutriberries as his only food... he does not eat nutriberries!

I need to bring Coconut home today. I will find out what meds he needs but there is no reason for him to stay in that stressful environment for yet another yet. The poor bird cannot be kept in pitch dark!

What would you do???? I am REALLY not comfortable with him being kept there for yet another night.

Sounds like a horrible and potentially dangerous clinic for birds. I would bring Coconut home ASAP! If he is seemingly doing well, there is no need for "observation" by a non-avian vet. But the biggest strike against them IMHO is oral delivery of meds by inept staff. We all know the potential for disaster. More than one bird has succumbed to fright while being restrained by untrained staff. Trust your instincts and get him out!!

A good avian vet is difficult to find, but well worth the search even if inconveniently far. I'd patronize the current practice only in a dire emergency that cannot wait, and transfer out when stabilized.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I am very unhappy with what I'm finding out in regards to his care. This is not an avian clinic... so the young girls there are clueless, I am sorry but they are when it comes to birds at least (the avian vet is not there all the time... only visits that clinic for emgencies). One confessed Coconut was in PITCH DARK the entire night and the other yesterday didn't even know how to give him meds via syringe I had to do it. This is a recipe of disaster. The last thing I need is him having night frights and thrashing in the incubator hitting his head because some moron left a bird in PITCH DARK. I am very displeased. At home he is NEVER in the dark... the room is light and I just place towel to cover cage and he knows it is sleepy time. I can only imagine his terror.... he was terrified when I saw him today... he was acting normal but very very scared.

Then the girl tried to weigh Coconut without placing him in a box... I was standing there like WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!? Coconut would have immediately flewn off the scale and smash into the dog crates in the clinic because the incubator is kept in same room where the dogs and cats are kept in cages right next to the incubator. I made sure they understand bird MUST be placed into box and then placed on scale. The second any stranger reaches for Coconut he starts thrashing. He is terrified of strangers.

I do not feel comfortable leaving Coconut there another night. This vet also gave him food which he has never eaten before... you CANNOT just suddenly switch a bird's diet like that!!! It must be done gradually. He has lost over 6 grams so far... I am not surprised because he didn't eat all day yesterday and is extremely stressed.... and on top of that was given nutriberries as his only food... he does not eat nutriberries!

I need to bring Coconut home today. I will find out what meds he needs but there is no reason for him to stay in that stressful environment for yet another yet. The poor bird cannot be kept in pitch dark!

What would you do???? I am REALLY not comfortable with him being kept there for yet another night.

Sounds like a horrible and potentially dangerous clinic for birds. I would bring Coconut home ASAP! If he is seemingly doing well, there is no need for "observation" by a non-avian vet. But the biggest strike against them IMHO is oral delivery of meds by inept staff. We all know the potential for disaster. More than one bird has succumbed to fright while being restrained by untrained staff. Trust your instincts and get him out!!

A good avian vet is difficult to find, but well worth the search even if inconveniently far. I'd patronize the current practice only in a dire emergency that cannot wait, and transfer out when stabilized.

I just called the clinic and they told me they didn't know they had to leave lights on". I am super upset and told them I am very upset and that it's not acceptable and it could have killed my bird. Yesterday the avian vet said she will be going to the clinic tonight to check on Coconut... I left her voicemail fews hours ago but haven't heard back yet... but I told clinic I am picking Coconut up TODAY.

I cannot even imagine how TERRIFIED Coconut must have been the entire night. He could have DIED. Even if they are in an incubator they can still seriously injure themselves thrashing around if nobody there to turn the lights on and calm them, especially if they already have some form of a head injury. Coconut is doing fine, there is no reason for him to stay overnight again. He is far better off at home in peace... if he needs meds still I will give it to him myself.

I am just speechless that they would leave a cockatiel in pitch dark... with dogs and cats in crates in same room... I am sure they were making noise I would be very surprised if Coconut did not experience night fright.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
OMG I am sooo happy... the clinic just called me back and they said they spoke to the avian vet... they told me to pick Coconut up today in a couple hours and that the avian vet is checking Coconut this afternoon (or maybe was already checked I'm not sure)... but even if they did NOT tell me to pick him up.... I would have still gotten him out of there! I am SUPER excited to be bringing Coconut home very soon! :D

I do wonder though... if he even really needed to go to vet in first place... but better safe than sorry because at least he got anti-inflammatory meds for any potential swelling in the brain... this head injury really scared me.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Excellent! Let us know how he does the next few days..... probably will be thrilled to get home!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Don't look at any visit to the vets a wasted one. Because you'd never have forgiven yourself if you'd shrugged it off and it turned out to be something serious. You did the right thing.

I'm glad to hear that it seems all is well with Coconut. Heck of a fright for you both, I know. I bet he'll be very happy to be back home with you, tonight.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Juliet...Amy and I and BB are saying prayers for the little 'Nut..we all know how much you love both of your "kids" ;)

I guess I am lucky as far as Avian Vets go..I bring my fids to a place called "Kensington BIRD and Animal Hospital" They specialize in birds.

My fids have been going there since the very first day I had birds.
I have brought Amy to a "regular" vet,only once,to get her nails and arms trimmed,only to hear the receptionist refer to Amy as a "green parrot"! She didn't even know what species she was :mad: THAT was the only time I brought her to any vet except Kensington.

On occasion, I have taken her to the local AllPets pet store,coz they give my fids free trims. The last time I took Amy there,the "assistant" couldn't even handle Amy properly,I had to. And Amy is very tolerant to have her trimming done.
I will rather pay the 30 bux now,and have to make an appointment,and drive for 25 minutes,then have her or BB stressed out.
BB is going to need a nail trim soon,and even when they do the "birdicure" the doc still gives them the once over.

I am very happy to hear that 'Nut seems to be in good shape,sure it was terrifying for EVERYONE!

Jim

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Coconut is back home with me!!!! :D

As it turns out I was wrong... Coconut was NOT in the pitch dark... vet says that NEVER happens as the office light is always one for all the animals (vet was there when I went to pick Coconut up, she was actually very nice)... hoping she is right. In the vet's defense she did a great job with Coconut (it's the young girl there that was volenteering didn't know what she was doing) and I DEFINITELY did the right thing in rushing him to the vet because his head injury was MUCH worse than I thought. I couldn't see how bad it was because his feathers were covering it... but his entire front forehead is bright red.... he hit is head REALLY hard! :(

They gave him steroids... vet said she's seen so many birds who did what Coconut did and the owner did not rush them to vet (because bird was acting fine) and the bird died due to swelling in the brain (must be treated within 6-12 hours or it's too late).

He got antibiotics which I have to give in one gallon water for two weeks... also metacam (twice daily) and some ointment for his head (twice daily).

Vet showed me his gram stain under the microscopic... he no longer has yeast infection in his crop but he has a bad bacteria infection.... it just never ends does it!!???

He was SUPER cuddly when I got home... now Rascal is sitting on my though and Coconut is safely in his own cage.

I asked vet for her opion on me "slowing his flying down"... she says that will make him drop faster and more prone to injury... and I tend to agree. I just need to NOT ever have them out at same time until Coconut is more experienced.

Pheeew... this was stressful!!! :( ... but I am very relieved to have him home!!! :D

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Oops... forgot to include pic... he looks like a hot mess now LOL

He's got ointment and his nostril are all gunky from stuff sticking to it.... but you can see his injuries were worse than I initially thought.... his entire top of his forehead area is like that underneath the feathers covering it... very scary :(

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Juliet...Amy and I and BB are saying prayers for the little 'Nut..we all know how much you love both of your "kids" ;)

I guess I am lucky as far as Avian Vets go..I bring my fids to a place called "Kensington BIRD and Animal Hospital" They specialize in birds.

My fids have been going there since the very first day I had birds.
I have brought Amy to a "regular" vet,only once,to get her nails and arms trimmed,only to hear the receptionist refer to Amy as a "green parrot"! She didn't even know what species she was :mad: THAT was the only time I brought her to any vet except Kensington.

On occasion, I have taken her to the local AllPets pet store,coz they give my fids free trims. The last time I took Amy there,the "assistant" couldn't even handle Amy properly,I had to. And Amy is very tolerant to have her trimming done.
I will rather pay the 30 bux now,and have to make an appointment,and drive for 25 minutes,then have her or BB stressed out.
BB is going to need a nail trim soon,and even when they do the "birdicure" the doc still gives them the once over.

I am very happy to hear that 'Nut seems to be in good shape,sure it was terrifying for EVERYONE!

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I can't wait to see how BB handles it when he starts flying... I'm positive you won't have the problems I'm having with Coconut... as BB will be quite older when he starts and the vet said since Coconut is such a young baby it makes it more challenging for him. I NEVER EVER had any problems when Rascal started learning how to fly... no problems at all it was a breeze, so what I'm experiencing with Coconut... don't let that scare you ;) Plus you won't have another tiel around like Rascal to scare the crap out of BB sending him into panic flight. BAD Rascal... he did this to Coconut! When one tiel spooks... the other does too... it's a bummer!

I'm much more relaxed now but HOPE Coconut is out of the woods with this injury and will be OK now.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Sorry to post so many times in a row... this disaster cost me $620 yesterday and then $330 today... yikes!! I'm already in debt so who cares if I'm out yet another almost thousand bucks. It's only money right? OMG :p

Coconut is VERY worth it though... him being alive and well is all that matters :D

I keep my fingers crossed I get my next commission soon or I'm in trouble LOL

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
It seems that the actual avian vet is a good vet then, however, I would always have volunteers around that can handle birds, if you have an avian vet in the vet place.

I am SO glad that you got him there in time, and it does seem like things could have ended totally wrong if you did not act so fast! I keep Kiko's wings clipped for the most part, because he really does fly around so much and has trouble landing. He lands properly, but much too hard.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
It seems that the actual avian vet is a good vet then, however, I would always have volunteers around that can handle birds, if you have an avian vet in the vet place.

I am SO glad that you got him there in time, and it does seem like things could have ended totally wrong if you did not act so fast! I keep Kiko's wings clipped for the most part, because he really does fly around so much and has trouble landing. He lands properly, but much too hard.

Yes I was very WRONG in thinking maybe he didn't need to go to vet. The vet did a good job with him.

Like Anansi said.... what if I had not gone to vet and the worst happened because of it... I rather be safe than sorry.

Rascal is VERY lazy.... he doesn't fly often. In fact, I actually make him fly back and forth in the house few times a day so he gets a healthy dose of cardio. Coconut also does not fly around the house.... so it's not like I have 2 birds that are always flying around in the house... they too lazy for that and have better things to do like fight with each other or eat or chew on stuff :p

I have to cover a portion of Rascal's cage though so he doesn't see Coconut is out with me... otherwise he goes crazy and wants out.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
So glad to hear that Coconut is home and on the mend...may he heal quickly and be back to his usual self in no time at all please God. Im glad the vet turned out to be a good vet too. Stay safe you guys :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
So glad to hear that Coconut is home and on the mend...may he heal quickly and be back to his usual self in no time at all please God. Im glad the vet turned out to be a good vet too. Stay safe you guys :)

Thanks for your kind wishes :)

Crazy how much I missed Coconut and he was only gone for a little over 24 hours LOL

Coconut was on my hand this morning and took off flying across the house... I was like "oh no!!!"... but he flew VERY slowly it looked very effortless... he flew so slowly he literally looked like a graceful butterfly. He landed on the perch on the other cage (guess he wanted to go to the other cage because he knew I was heading there anyway). He really does fly very slowly and with caution (Coconut flies MUCH slower than Rascal does... Rascal always flies very fast definitely NO comparison to how Coconut flies) I guess that also shows the difference of flight experience between the two of them... it is Rascal spooking him is what is so incredibly dangerous and what caused this :(

I think it will be at least another few months before I will ever let them out together again... and I will make sure I give Rascal some exercise beforehand so he is tired.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

As it turns out I was wrong... Coconut was NOT in the pitch dark... vet says that NEVER happens as the office light is always one for all the animals (vet was there when I went to pick Coconut up, she was actually very nice)... hoping she is right. In the vet's defense she did a great job with Coconut (it's the young girl there that was volenteering didn't know what she was doing) and I DEFINITELY did the right thing in rushing him to the vet because his head injury was MUCH worse than I thought. I couldn't see how bad it was because his feathers were covering it... but his entire front forehead is bright red.... he hit is head REALLY hard! :(

They gave him steroids... vet said she's seen so many birds who did what Coconut did and the owner did not rush them to vet (because bird was acting fine) and the bird died due to swelling in the brain (must be treated within 6-12 hours or it's too late).

He got antibiotics which I have to give in one gallon water for two weeks... also metacam (twice daily) and some ointment for his head (twice daily).

Vet showed me his gram stain under the microscopic... he no longer has yeast infection in his crop but he has a bad bacteria infection.... it just never ends does it!!???

He was SUPER cuddly when I got home... now Rascal is sitting on my though and Coconut is safely in his own cage.

I asked vet for her opion on me "slowing his flying down"... she says that will make him drop faster and more prone to injury... and I tend to agree. I just need to NOT ever have them out at same time until Coconut is more experienced.

Pheeew... this was stressful!!! :( ... but I am very relieved to have him home!!! :D

So glad this story has a happy ending! Great choice to take Coconut to the vet as this was indeed a serious injury. I assume the avian vet who treated Coconut was the part-time "emergency" person you mentioned earlier? Seems this is a good clinic after all, but you'll need to know whether an alternate facility when she is not on the premises.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

So glad this story has a happy ending! Great choice to take Coconut to the vet as this was indeed a serious injury. I assume the avian vet who treated Coconut was the part-time "emergency" person you mentioned earlier? Seems this is a good clinic after all, but you'll need to know whether an alternate facility when she is not on the premises.

Yes, this is the vet who only goes there for emergencies. This is the same vet who treated Rascal when he almost died 2 yrs ago. To make very long story short I went out of town for a week on business... the woman I let babysit Rascal at her house took HORRIBLE care of him. Rascal had nightfright at her house and she did NOTHING to calm him just let him thrash and thrash in cage for such a prolonged time that he suffered major inflammation and ALL of his flight feathers literally fell out (he had 2 big bloody wounds under his wings and dried blood all over the cage and his toys). She NEVER even BOTHERED to text or call me to let me know my tiel was seriously injured nor did she bother rush him to vet when he as very OBVIOUSLY seriously injured. This woman has 2 birds she knows better than this. She tried to COVER IT UP.

When I picked him up from her house I immediately rushed him to vet on a sunday. He had severe infection so bad he had rhabdomyolysis which lead to kidney failure... he wasn't eating had to tube fed for many days etc was at the clinic for 3 weeks. Rascal should not even be alive right now... he is a fighter!

The police nor animal protection did anything worthwhile they are worthless!!!! It's as if I babysat your kid and your kid broke their arm and I didn't even bother to call you let alone take your kid to the emergency clinic. This is EXACTLY what happened to me with Rascal. Blatant neglect and abuse... later the woman confessed (I still have her texts confessing all this) she just moved my tiel into the other room because he was thrashing too much (which was "affecting her sleep" and just left him there). She should be in prison!! ... and I ended up stuck paying the entire $5,000 vet bill. even personally sent a long letetr to a judge and they was repetedly told since I can't prove INTENTIONAL neglect I don't have a case. This is BULL! It's a flawed backwards system.

After that experience I NEVER trust anyone again to babysit Rascal or Coconut for that matter, so he gets boarded at this clinic in an incubator if I have to leave town.

You can see where Rascal had big holes under his wings where his flight feathers got yanked out or fell out from inflammation. Imagine looks on my face when I noticed Rascal's wings were suddenly missing when I picked him up!

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
If I recall from the two years I lived in Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach isn't a terribly long drive from Palm Beach. One of the vets in this practice trained under my vet, who is absolutely amazing. Their practice looks pretty decent from their website, though I don't know them personally. It may be worth a look for future care needs.

Broward Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital - Veterinarian In Deerfield Beach, FL USA :: Meet Our Veterinarians

Thanks! I'll definitely check them out. You're right... they are not a far distance at all from where I live. :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
This is the nice avian vet I corresponded with via email 2 years ago: [ame="https://youtu.be/pj58C0tY43o"]Rainforest Clinic - YouTube[/ame]

Susan Clubb, DVM is a world-renowned avian veterinarian and scientist with 30 years experience specializing in the treatment and care of exotic birds and all other exotic animals at Rainforest Clinic for Birds and Exotics located in Loxahatchee, FL.

They do not deal with dog or cats... and are mostly bird focused along with other exotics and local to me. I am putting list together of options... it's always good to have to when in a hurry you have everything ready... but hopefully NEVER will have emergency again!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I just finished my first day of giving Rascal and Coconut separate out of cage time and it was soooooo much easier than I thought it would be! I can easily do this for next few months until Coconut safely masters his flying skills :D

Check out diner time (grilled teriyaki tofu with BBQ dipping sauce n’ rice)… Coconut always eats next to me because Rascal prefers to be by himself when eating. They ate plain rice… I ate the good stuff :p

Most Reactions