Freaking out!! URGENT!!!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
I'm so glad you took the safe course and brought him in, even if that practice wasn't ideal. They did their jobs, and lil bits is home safe and hopefully will make a full recovery. And it's definitely a wise idea to have an emergency plan in place in case of future issues. I like bringing a new animal into my vet just to establish the patient/doctor relationship as soon as I get him/her. That way, if a crisis does happen, they know not just me, but that particular animal as well.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
He really does fly very slowly and with caution (Coconut flies MUCH slower than Rascal does... Rascal always flies very fast definitely NO comparison to how Coconut flies) I guess that also shows the difference of flight experience between the two of them... it is Rascal spooking him is what is so incredibly dangerous and what caused this :(

I actually wonder if their flight capabilities is the difference in flight muscle?

I have a cockatiel that, when I took her in, I estimated her to be about 46%, if not more, underweight. She was feathers and bones! And all because the guy who was supposed to be caring for her "simply forgot to feed her". He found her in their yard, didn't bother looking for the original owners, then tried to teach her (probably) how to smoke pot and say various phrases.... but when she refused to learn anything and really wasn't what they expected a parrot to be, she ended up being kept covered 24/7 in a house full of chain smokers (ceiling stained yellow - smoke so thick you could see it move as you walked through the rooms) and the house was over-ran by cats and kittens, many with sinus infections.

Thankfully, while under my care, she quickly put on weight and gained her strength back. I remember though that she used to be so weak that she couldn't land without falling fowards, and she flew so slowly that she was easy to pluck straight out of the air! She literally only just barely had the strength for flight!

I have a video of her when she was able to fly with speed and accuracy around a small room! And seeing this made me extremely happy!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8lKafWGnrQ"]Tomi Girl Flying - YouTube[/ame]

I'm glad that Coconut is on the med! I hope for a speedy recovery for him! :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
He really does fly very slowly and with caution (Coconut flies MUCH slower than Rascal does... Rascal always flies very fast definitely NO comparison to how Coconut flies) I guess that also shows the difference of flight experience between the two of them... it is Rascal spooking him is what is so incredibly dangerous and what caused this :(

I actually wonder if their flight capabilities is the difference in flight muscle?

I have a cockatiel that, when I took her in, I estimated her to be about 46%, if not more, underweight. She was feathers and bones! And all because the guy who was supposed to be caring for her "simply forgot to feed her". He found her in their yard, didn't bother looking for the original owners, then tried to teach her (probably) how to smoke pot and say various phrases.... but when she refused to learn anything and really wasn't what they expected a parrot to be, she ended up being kept covered 24/7 in a house full of chain smokers (ceiling stained yellow - smoke so thick you could see it move as you walked through the rooms) and the house was over-ran by cats and kittens, many with sinus infections.

Thankfully, while under my care, she quickly put on weight and gained her strength back. I remember though that she used to be so weak that she couldn't land without falling fowards, and she flew so slowly that she was easy to pluck straight out of the air! She literally only just barely had the strength for flight!

I have a video of her when she was able to fly with speed and accuracy around a small room! And seeing this made me extremely happy!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8lKafWGnrQ"]Tomi Girl Flying - YouTube[/ame]

I'm glad that Coconut is on the med! I hope for a speedy recovery for him! :)

Wow that's terrible. Some people are just sick in the head! :mad:

Tiel is so lucky she has you now... she flies like a pro now! Great job ;)

I've seen Coconut fly very fast once last week so he does have ability to fly fast so he is not weak. When he flew fast he flew in middle of living room far away from walls and instead of flying in circles he flew in a zigzag sort of way if that makes sense back and forth. Thank goodness he's only done this once because it was very scary to watch. I prefer to him to fly very slowly like he usually always does until he is a lot more skilled. :) I think he flew very fast that one time because he had a mad burst of energy he wanted to get rid of I guess... he wasn't spooked or anything.... maybe he was just curious because he had never flown that fast before in his entire life I'm not sure but I hope he does not do it again.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Coconut just flew around the house few times to get rid of morning energy now he's nice and so calm and taking nap on my leg. I am soooo proud of him. He would be NUTS if he hadn't been able to fly to get rid of bottled up energy.

There is a MASSIVE difference in the way he flies now compared to how he flew before. He used to constantly fly into the blinds... walls etc to the point I thought he might have vision problems.

He NEVER does that anymore and has special designated spots he uses to always land on. He is REALLY improving! Especially now that Rascal is no longer able to put him in jeopardy he can fly in a slow calm manner :D Rascal flies like a nutcase... I think that also threw Coconut off...

Last edited:

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
So glad to read Coconut is doing better! That was scary for sure but all turned out ok. Yay! :)

Owlcallum

Jul 9, 2016
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Eric the Cockatiel
Yeah, Take him to a vet. I had a friend who had his budgie fly into a wall. I t seemed fine until two week later when it started bleeding and the vet said that it was too far gone. :(

OMG! Now you really have me MUCH more worried! Was the budgie bleeding at all anywhere? OMG. You mean he started beelding two weeks after the injry? Or was bleeding internally in his head? OMG :( You really have me worried now.

I wonder if doing a partial clip on Coconut for now to slow him down will help? I am VERY worried to prevent this from happening again. I simply do NOT trust Coconut's flying skills. I am EXTREMELY angry the breeder butcherd his wings off. Coconut NEVER even had a chance to fledge!

I am so sorry about getting you more worried. My friends bird was bleeding but stopped soon after so he decided to not risk the cost (against my and everyone else's suggestions) and ended up paying a much more dear cost. You took Coconut to the vet and I`m sure he will be okay.

What happened was that the budgie got the wound re-opened when he fell down, and this time it was too bad. The vet said that if he`d brought in the bird before he could`ve probably helped the bird.

My friend felt so guilty:(

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Thanks. No worries, I am SUPER happy I took him to the vet. They gave him Dexamethasone shot for any potential swelling in the brain. It's insane how fast he's healing... the wound he had on his right nostril is completely gone and all there is now are tiny scabs. I've taken measures to make sure this NEVER happens again.

Check him out... he's so happy to be home and looking much better :D

Last edited:

Most Reactions