From what age do conures learn to speak?

Bradari

Oct 8, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
1Ysgcc Fidget
cause i could swear that my yellow sided green cheek cosmo who is now 9 weeks old is starting to say hello.
a few times now when i have taken him out the cage i get this deep grunty chirp which sounds exactly like hello. even my hubby has heard it. could he really be learning so quickly?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That is awesome to hear, and I am sure you heard correctly
Many birds are shy to talk in front of people, in the beginning.
As mentioned above, place a recorder, or video near the bird, then leave the room.
You will be totally blown away... he knows more than he's letting on.

Mishka was about 2 months old when he began mumbling his first words.
When I did that with Mishka, my AG, I was absolutely amazed how many more words he actually knew.
When you have an idea of what words your bird is saying, keep repeating them, turning them into sentances. In time you will have a full one on one conversation, as I do with Mishka.

Mikayla

Nov 12, 2012
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have a sun conure Izzy and he-she started talking about 2 months after I got her (she was 4 months old and started at 6) She says "give me kiss" "Thank you" she makes kissing sounds says "come here" She is such a love. She plays peek a boo, and when I tell her to go hide she crawls down my shirt LOL. This species is so smart I am amazed by her everyday.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Congrats, you have a speaker ! Hard to find sunnies that speak. Get a video camera and put it in the room where the cage is and see if that's the only word she says ( most likly not lol)

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Jasmine started talking at Bedtimes in her sleep tent when she was maybe 4 months old but never spoke to me! Now at 6 months she never shuts up ... 'hello Jasmine' follows me around the house :)
She still practices at bedtimes though!

Most Reactions